ASA 101 Prep? - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

ASA 101 Prep?

I'm about to do the ASA 101 at a reputable school in my area, I'm wondering if there's any useful prep to do... reading, etc... that will make the experience more rewarding?

I've had some instruction previously in dinghies, and sailed dinghies a bit, so I'm not a _total_ novice, but looking forward to that next step.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-15-2015

Re: ASA 101 Prep?

ASA 101 is basic, but terminology relating to keelboats and sloops might be unfamiliar to you. I suggest you get familiar with the names of the parts of a boat and it's hardware, learn to tie basic knots, such as a bowline, slip knot, cleat hitch, clove hitch and stopper knot. The sooner you can get past those basics, the more time the instructor can spend on sailing theory, which you'll find much more interesting. The instructor can spend a lot of time demonstrating each knot repeatedly, and defining terms. You can shorten that time by preparing in advance.
grnrngr and dirtloves like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-15-2015

The school should have sent you a book as part of your registration fee. But, I have found that many will often wait until you arrive, which really doesn't help you read ahead. This is the book you should be receiving:

ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing Certification This page also lists most of the things you'll need to know.

They also have an online course that you can review.

In addition to the parts of the boat and the knots and their uses, that Sailorman mentioned. You'll need to know the various points of sail, be able to identify the standing and running rigging, and some basic navigation rules.

Good luck, have fun.
dirtloves likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-15-2015
HANUMAN

Sailing For Dummies. It has most, if not all of what will come in your ASA book, but it's more fun to read.

This is the book I recommend to anyone who wants to start sailing and has the ambition to do some reading first.

If you have put down a deposit on your ASA 101, I'm surprised they didn't (or won't) offer you the materials before the class starts.

Good luck and have fun!
dirtloves likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #5 of 19 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
If you have put down a deposit on your ASA 101, I'm surprised they didn't (or won't) offer you the materials before the class starts.
I'm still playing phone tag trying to settle this, so that's the hold up on the materials... it hadn't occurred to me that they might give some materials ahead of time!

As for books, I picked up one called "Plain Sailing" from a recommendation, I like it very much so far. I'll check out the dummies book as well.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-15-2015

I used to use flashcards.

On one side of the card, write the elements of the standard. On the other side, write the answer or draw a picture.

My more modern version is use PowerPoint. When preparing for my ASA 214 course last year, I created a presentation of the whole standard.

dirtloves likes this.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #7 of 19 Old 07-15-2015

I agree with what the others have been saying, read the book ahead of time.

That way you'll already know the vocabulary and how things are *supposed* to work, so you can spend you class time finding out how they really work
dirtloves likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 19 Old 07-16-2015

Agree with the other posts...read the book ahead of time...it will familiarize yourself with the various terminology at the least...if they haven't sent it to you ahead of time, ask them to do so...the admiral and I too ASA 101/103 and 104 (different times) a number of years back from different schools and both sent the materials ahead of time...
dirtloves likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-16-2015

I have the ASA 101/103 classes coming up in about three weeks. My books have already arrived and I'm reading them carefully. Make sure your class sends you your material. It seems logical to me to get the "book stuff" out of the way so the "on the water" time can be spent wisely.

Bill
dirtloves likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-17-2015
Barquito

You should do as much book prep as you think you need. However, realize that there is a little bit of a catch-22 in this process. You need to have book knowledge to understand what you are doing on the boat, but you need to actually sail the boat to understand and remember the book knowledge. It is a circular process that will continue forever. Learn (books, other sailors, SailNet, etc.), then DO (ASA courses, sail on others boats, club boats, your own boat, etc.).

Wax on, wax off Grasshopper.
dirtloves likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in