Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 75 Old 04-21-2016

Re: Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean?

I'd say yes, but I'd take a year to live on it (while working your usual job) and sail in your local area, starting with daysails and going onto weekenders/weeklongs.

You'll find out what needs replacing and what you like/don't like pretty fast.

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 04-21-2016
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Remember back about 9-10 years ago there was the woman in Florida that bought a Dana 24 I think it was and had a website about how she was going to sail around the world. Made it 3 or 4 days and quit.

Pass the popcorn please...
Yep. A woman in her late 40's. She knew nothing about sailing or the sea but spent a small fortune on the boat--actually a Flicka--and the upgrades and was encouraged by all her "supporters". One warned her about being able to lock her hatch shut for safety so she added locks. Once she finally started out, when the weather turned on her, a few miles from shore, she pulled the hatch cover closed with the drop boards in place but, Oopsie--forgot the locks! And locked herself out in the cockpit! She did finally manage to smash the hatch cover open with a winch handle to get into the boat. After several daze of getting the shoot kicked out of her at sea, she was finally found, dragged back to shore, the boat put up for sale (for next to nothing which is about what she accepted) and she headed inland, poorer but wiser. Her website disappeared soon after. (And, FWIW, "she" could just as easily been a "he", ignorance being an equal opportunity/gender neutral affliction although my-much-better half points out that it tends to be more of a male than female property)
jephotog and MarkofSeaLife like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-21-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add addendum at behest of spouse!
post #33 of 75 Old 04-21-2016
Barquito

Valiant 32

post #34 of 75 Old 04-21-2016
美國佬

Trollhunter (2010) - IMDb

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #35 of 75 Old 04-21-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
No second post yet from Thread Starter. Hmmmm.
Perhaps the sensible suggestions from those who took him seriously scuttled his sense of adventure.
kjango likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #36 of 75 Old 04-21-2016

OK, OK, let's go easy on him.

KGS. No, it makes no sense at all if the question is "Can I jump in a sailboat, head to England and learn 'the ropes' on the way?". However, if the sailing affliction has set in, there is no cure shy of succumbing the sirens' song and buying a boat. A 30 footer might be a stretch at first. Boats are not cheap to own or maintain and the cost is not directly proportional the the length. You can pick up a 22 footer that you can be pleased with for $2000. A 25 footer more like $5000. A 27 footer, closer to 10K. A 30 footer upwards of $20,000. Now, these are good ol' girls from the late 70's to mid 80's that need a little make-up. But if you're handy and have some common sense, they'll serve you well.

If I could be so bold as to offer my opinion/recommendation. Pick up the 23-25 foot trailer sailer. Again, split the diff, $4000. You can learn plenty, sail lots, bring that special someone and a bottle of Merlot, spoil your mom with a day on the water, all for pretty short money. Best of all, the plethora of stupid mistakes that we all make (but only some actually admit to) will be made on a less expensive boat that you can repair in your drive way. Once you know what you're doing, sell the boat to the next newbie an invest in the 30+ footer. There's a book out there called "The Complete Trailer Sailer" by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info but most helpful for you would be the section in the back that contains specs, photos, sketches, pros and cons of about 50 boats in the range that I'm recommending. It can really help you see what you like in a boat, what you hate and what you never knew you always wanted. Boats are like women (I am assuming you're a guy) with differing personalities and traits. I hope I don't appear too sexist, but there are things that guys like in women and things that they don't and no two guys are exactly the same. Some like them slim, some like them beamy. Some like them comfortable while others, like them more spartan. (trying hard to stray from double entendres). So, like a Seaward RK32; impeccable craftsmanship, excellent features but I don't like the look. It's a taste thing but just like in high school, often times the prettier ones, shall we say, cost more and were higher maintenance while the girl who was a little less spectacular (looks wise) was the one you gave your heart to, and after 38 are still doing it. And now, the cheerleaders are chubby and wrinkled and your Mrs runs 1/2 marathons and turns heads when she walks into rooms. Wait, no, that's me. You get the idea.

Anything worth doing requires sails.
oldragbaggers likes this.
post #37 of 75 Old 04-21-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Yep. A woman in her late 40's. She knew nothing about sailing or the sea but spent a small fortune on the boat--actually a Flicka--and the upgrades and was encouraged by all her "supporters". One warned her about being able to lock her hatch shut for safety so she added locks. Once she finally started out, when the weather turned on her, )
She had to leave on time as the party was pre-arranged, all her friends were there - so she went out into a predicted storm. I think she was back within 24 hours but the story got enhanced to 4 days in wild seas.
She was wearing a bandage on her arm from the hatch break-in thus claiming the Red Badge of Courage.

She had not sailed the boat by herself.

I think she had 10 hours with an instructor.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #38 of 75 Old 04-21-2016

All the talk about popcorn made me think of a movie....

"Do you feel lucky? Do ya." You may be lucky and realize your dream but then again you may not be so lucky and find yourself on a one way trip to "Davy Jones locker." In the end, you have the freedom to make that choice, I would just ask that you consider all those brave souls that may have to come to your rescue. Your question is hypothetical, but if you act on it there maybe negative consequences, not just for you but others who ply the seven seas and will try to save your selfish BUTT! Plan responsibly and I will be the first one to come save you. Personal choice vs. responsible choice. Not so responsible IMHO!

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #39 of 75 Old 04-21-2016

you'll either make it or you won't. Even a busted boat will sail down wind.
post #40 of 75 Old 04-21-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
A mate and I were discussing the ability to sail a fair ground jumping castle from the Canaries to the Caribbean (or North or South America wherever we end up).

Yes, we were mildly drunk at the time...

Anyway, if we can do that you should be able to do it on a real boat.

Mark
Now if it were a Hypalon it might make it, after all they are blue-water bouncy houses, while those PVC bounce houses are purely for coastal bouncing.

And I doubt the mildly part either! You don't do anything half-assed!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in