Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 Old 04-27-2016

Re: Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post

...So, either one of three things happen here: 1) this is a lark that will never come to fruition....

...I'm going with ... you never do it.

Considering that the original poster came on here over a week ago, posted this one question, and hasn't seemed to have even come back to read the responses, much less comment, I'd say he never was very serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 05-02-2016

I have not sailed since I was a youngster and recently decided that I might want to take up sailing as I near retirement and eventually do whatever ocean sailing I was comfortable with. I used to jump into new hobbies with both feet but as I have grown somewhat wiser with age I realized that this was something that would require a potentially lengthy education before setting out. I plan to spend between 2 - 3 years taking extensive classes in sailing and navigation including celestial before even thinking about venturing off alone in a sizeable boat.

So when I saw KGS's post, I was curious what advice he would get from members. Mikel 1 and Midwesterner's replies were what I would hope to see, polite and encouraging but with some sage advice and temperance. Ajax MD and svHyLyte however were not. Their replies are typical of guys who think they have seen and done it all. Yes, KGS is a bit overcharged in his enthusiasm and has far to go but I doubt that Ajax MD and svHyLyte just poped out of the womb as able bodied seamen. Their attitude reminds me of the cocky guys I used to have jump out of bed and go out at night to pick out of the water or tow back when I was at a SAR station in the USCG, usually for something foolish they should never have tried or could have prevented had they planned a little better.
Why not try to encourage people and give them some direction rather than mock them. I apologize if my directness has offended other members. When I came on tonight I did not imagine this as my first post.
seabeau likes this.
post #63 of 75 Old 05-02-2016

Maybe so Midwesterner, but if I had received some of the replies that KGS got, I probably would have gone elsewhere for help as well.

post #64 of 75 Old 11-29-2016

I was in the same (sail)boat as you a few months back; never sailed and decided to buy a boat. I flew down to Florida to pick it up and ended up spending a few weeks on the hard getting all of the immediate items repaired. Went in the water and sailed in the ICW for 160 miles; decided I was ready to try for open water. **** myself leaving the St Luce inlet. Turned around, parked the boat and went home (Minnesota). Went back the next week and headed out of the Fort Pierce Inlet. Kept the pants clean this time but came back shortly.

Thing is... I don't know if water breaking over the bow, the boat rolling and pitching, and my mast taking a drink is normal or if I am getting myself into some situation that I can't get myself out of.

I've decided, now that I know my boat some, I'm going to hire an experienced captain to go out into the blue for my first time with me. At least then I will really know if I'm being a chicken or it's time to mayday.

That being said, I haven't felt more alive since buying my boat and setting off (to the marina, haha). If that is your passion, do it. There are a lot of dicks on the internet so take what they say as you would a grain of salt. The best and most helpful people you will find are at the marinas. Pick up a mooring ball. Make sure you join them for coffee in the morning and happy hour at night. Most of these guys are waiting for a weather window and more than happy to talk and give advice to guppy's like us in the mean time. You will never learn to sail via youtube.

Good luck to you and be safe.
post #65 of 75 Old 11-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Roesner View Post

Thing is... I don't know if water breaking over the bow, the boat rolling and pitching, and my mast taking a drink is normal or if I am getting myself into some situation that I can't get myself out of.
Well, from all of the sailing videos I've watched "...water breaking over the bow, the boat rolling and pitching..." all of that can be a part of a normal day of sailing. All until you got to the part about the mast going in the water. That sounds like you were over canvassed and should have reduced or reefed your sails significantly before it came anywhere close to that.

The sailors with actual experience will weigh in on this soon, I'm sure.
post #66 of 75 Old 11-29-2016

Quote:

...Thing is... I don't know if water breaking over the bow, the boat rolling and pitching, and my mast taking a drink is normal or if I am getting myself into some situation that I can't get myself out of.

I've decided, now that I know my boat some, I'm going to hire an experienced captain to go out into the blue for my first time with me. At least then I will really know if I'm being a chicken or it's time to mayday.

Good luck to you and be safe.

Here are a couple of good articles on reducing sails in heavy winds.

I have successfully used these techniques for every cruise I have taken in my armchair in my living room.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-5...r-control.html

http://sailing.about.com/od/learntos...rong-Winds.htm

Last edited by midwesterner; 11-30-2016 at 12:17 AM.
post #67 of 75 Old 11-30-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Well, from all of the sailing videos I've watched "...water breaking over the bow, the boat rolling and pitching..." all of that can be a part of a normal day of sailing. All until you got to the part about the mast going in the water. That sounds like you were over canvassed and should have reduced or reefed your sails significantly before it came anywhere close to that.

Agreed.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #68 of 75 Old 11-30-2016

Mast in the water? Never happens...

post #69 of 75 Old 11-30-2016

Dock

Quote:
I've decided, now that I know my boat some, I'm going to hire an experienced captain to go out into the blue for my first time with me.
Imho do not hire a "captain". Hire an instructor.

You are the captain, inexperienced, yes, but you need to be in command.

If you hire a captain they will be in charge... and may treat you like a child.

Hire someone who fully appreciates your position and precedes with you on that basis.
Then you will learn more and the excitement will be enhanced

Mark
DHusk likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #70 of 75 Old 11-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Hello experienced sailors,

I've got this crazy idea of doing some solo-oceancrossings. I've lived on an adventure on land travellling the world the last two years, and now I want to do it at sea.

I can feel that I would love start sailing, but I've never been aboard a sailboat. I've watched hundreds of sailing videos on youtube and I have to do something like this as the adventurer i am.

I'm thinking of buying a 30 foot boat. Nothing fancy.

Is it possible for a total beginner to just buy a 30 foot boat with OK equipment for about $10k and begin sailing singlehanded?
I had similar thoughts - I've never been over Niagara Falls in a barrel, and was wondering if it was possible to get a barrel for less than $100 bucks and do it.....

Seriously though, I bought a 35' sailboat and crossed the Pacific with my wife. There were some 5 day solo legs through reef strewn waters (e.g. Tonga to Fiji) and it was a challenge. I had sailing experience prior, but not crossing an ocean. Would I do it with no sailing experience after watching hundreds of YouTube videos - NO! Absolutely unequivocally NO. Even after 3 years of preparation and outfitting a spartan 35 footer there were many essential things I didn't know and should have.

The other members had the best approach. GO SAILING, take some ASA courses in Navigation and at least coastal cruising. Go to seminars (and take the Pardees with a pinch of salt), crew on boats, learn and learn more. YouTube is not reality. You may be a world land traveler but that does not directly translate to a blue water sailor. Luck and hope are not a plan, unless you want to go over the falls in a barrel....
Donna_F likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in