SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/249513-absolutely-no-experience-solo-crossing-ocean.html)

KGS 04-20-2016 06:30 AM

Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean?

Hello experienced sailors,

I've got this crazy idea of doing some solo-oceancrossings. I've lived on an adventure on land travellling the world the last two years, and now I want to do it at sea.

I can feel that I would love start sailing, but I've never been aboard a sailboat. I've watched hundreds of sailing videos on youtube and I have to do something like this as the adventurer i am.

I'm thinking of buying a 30 foot boat. Nothing fancy.

Is it possible for a total beginner to just buy a 30 foot boat with OK equipment for about $10k and begin sailing singlehanded?

mikel1 04-20-2016 06:56 AM

Re: Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean?

Yes but! . . . . . .First get someone to take you out a few times before you buy . . . . also get some experience with others to learn a little in the beginning . . . Be sensible. . . . It isn't rocket science as they say but don't be foolish either, find out if it is "for you" maybe you are in love with the idea more than reality . . Slow in the beginning cowboy . . . .

cb32863 04-20-2016 10:05 AM

Here we go.... /grabbing the popcorn

Ajax_MD 04-20-2016 10:07 AM

You go ahead and do that.

svHyLyte 04-20-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax_MD (Post 3450497)
You go ahead and do that.

And be sure to let us know how it turns out...

midwesterner 04-20-2016 10:22 AM

11 Attachment(s)
You might want to read some of the accounts of people who have done it.

Stuart Woods' book, Blue Water, Green Skipper,
tells his account of preparing to sail a 30 foot sloop in the Trans Atlantic Globe race. I would think that you would want to at least do some of the type of preparation he did.

Tania Aibe's book, Maiden Voyage, tells her story of sailing around the world, with stops, at 18 on a 26 foot sailboat. She sailed before GPS and affordable radar. She took a sextant navigation class but hadn't mastered how to do it until she was a fifth of the way along on her trip. She got where she was going partly by chance. She also had problems with her engine and a fouled fresh water tank.

There are ASA certified sailing classes available all over the country that can teach you a lot of basics of sailing a sloop rigged keel boat in a three day class for about $300 to $500. That is well worth the money.

cb32863 04-20-2016 10:42 AM

For the number of times this has been posted here I would think the mods would have created a special forum for it already "I want to sail the world on a 4kt sb with no experience on a small boat and no money". Sounds like a great title to me......

Donna_F 04-20-2016 11:20 AM

While my first thought of what to do with my new to me sailboat back before I knew anything wasn't going solo around the bay, let alone the world, let's remember that if you have no idea how to sail, you have no idea what questions to ask. That's what forums are for: To patiently guide and help those less informed figure out what those questions should be.

(Dips into bowl of popcorn...)

Mr. Bubs 04-20-2016 11:21 AM

Absolutely, Go for it. It would be like Rimas, only self-funded and sans the poetic abortion of the English language. Make sure you get a Delorme tracker and post regularly.

xort 04-20-2016 12:12 PM

As easy as pie. Go for it.