So much hate to new people. - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 146 Old 06-16-2016
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Re: So much hate to new people.

Sailing is easy, good seamanship is hard. Learn sailing by doing and seamanship by studying. Everything will work out if you pay attention to what you're doing.

Shrimp
Zarathu likes this.

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 06-18-2016

I have seen what you mention. A member told me that "the Veterans on here get tired of the same dumb questions again and again." I took offense, being a US Army Veteran at the use of the term "Veteran" by a member of this site. The person went on to explain that they get "Snarky" at all the dumb questions. My response is that if they were not a "veteran" on Salient, if they were in a paid position in the corporate world or government, academia, etc, they would not get "Snarky" for two reasons. As anyone who has provided instruction or been a teacher would know - there are no stupid or dumb questions. Second - if a paid instructor or teacher got snarky with a student or client - they would soon be out of a job. Instead, these "Snarky" "Veterans" face no consequences on this site (or much of the online world.) There being no consequences - their true personalities and character are shown to the world. If they had pleasant, healthy personalities and good character - it would not matter if there were no consequences. I wonder if they are "snarky" to their spouses in response to "dumb" questions? That would be interesting to see! Snarky is defined in the dictionary as: 1. testy, irritable or short. 2. Having a rudely critical tone or manner. After teaching/instructing in the military, corporate sector, schools and sailing, I can assure you, "Snarky" or "Snarki-ness" has no place in the classroom or on the water. It's not good for the sport of sailing. Don't let these "Veterans" treat you like they are gods on top of Mt. Olympus and you are a neophyte mortal kneeling in supplication for their knowledge to be doled out to you. You and the sport of sailing or better than that or them. I assure you, they are not "Hateful", "Nasty", "Snarky" or anything like that to their bosses, co-workers, spouses, children. If they are, they most assuredly have dysfunctional and short business and personal relationships.
Lastly, I have been sailing for 48 years and I am still learning. Students of mine have given me new insights into sailing.
Hang in there and don't let the "Snarks" get you down!
Buc210
post #93 of 146 Old 06-18-2016
s/v Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
What annoys me much, much more than obvious newbie questions are old farts posting useless and sometimes snarky comments like, "Use the search tool!" or "Go read a book!"

I have no problem with people using this forum as the first source of info. I usually ignore the obvious "I have a dream, but don't know where to start" threads. But there's nothing wrong with the same question about anchors, hulls, heads, engines, and insurance coming up over and over. If I have something useful to contribute, I do. If not, I move on. No biggy.
Amen, brother. What sometimes concerns me is that sometimes a newbie asks a question, and is really unable to use the search function because he or she doesn't some of the terminology, making the search function of little value. As you say, if question has been asked a gazillion times and some decides to ask it again (perhaps not know it has ever been asked), just don't waste your time answering it. Someone else may eventually answer it, and you don't have to be bothered -- a win-win.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Ilya's Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 146 Old 06-18-2016

Any one who thinks its difficult here....I can give you some cliquey little groups that are really quite impossible.

This one is really quite nice.
post #95 of 146 Old 06-18-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
What planet, or moon, are you sailing on? Titan, the one with the methane ocean, off of Saturn?? I can see how that could get nasty. But you may not need antifouling paint, so even there I bet it's not *all* bad
My wife (@punahougirl84) wrote a short story about a sailing regatta on Titan - did the research, figured out the physics for sailing in a methane sea... Hoping that one sells some day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #96 of 146 Old 06-18-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Sadly both forums I participate have a small but mouthy contingent of @-holes.
Awesome turn of phrase there - misbehavior online personified in the neologism @-hole. Totally stealing this.
sidney777 and MikeOReilly like this.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #97 of 146 Old 06-19-2016
Tartan 27' owner

It seems that smacky and I have seen some shti on these forums over the years. There were the safaris over to Stuffers (stuffiminto.com), another startup forum. Then the anything-sailing contingent but yadda yadda who wants to know about that.

Things are better here now than they were. Trust us on this. I have also met well over 10 other SN members in real life, including Mr. Smack. I have probably sailed with <= 10 SN members in real life as well. I'm not saying it is a sailing dating thing but if people get to know you by your voice and tembre you might get invited along to help deliver a Beneteau 505 as well.
Part of SN for me is trying to actually meet the people that make posts on this forum that are near me. The fact that I haven't killed any of them yet seems to be working.

Ranting about chat board etiquette is not going to get you invited aboard my boat (not a Bene 505). It can be a very good thing, I discovered, to take a break from SN and/or other forums if something starts to bother you about them, or people on them.

Cruising with Bulldogs was a classic flustercuck!

And "Well my day really sucked" was a classic slo mo train wreck.

Smack, you are missing the tread about the dude from AZ who was wanted by fbi & such on various charges but was in S. Florida asking how to prep his boat to get to the Bahamas. Remember that one. It also ended badly.

What is a cornnut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, trust me, this place is FAR better than it used to be in terms of slamming newbs (you're welcome BTW).

Grab a six-pack and some cornnuts and read through these classics to see what I mean:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...tml#post118208

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living...g-miracle.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ly-sucked.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olar-wind.html

I mean, back then we had a MODERATOR setting up people in order to ban them. Just like over on CF.

No, it's WAY better around here now. So let's keep some perspective on all this.
smackdaddy and senormechanico like this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 06-19-2016 at 01:12 AM.
post #98 of 146 Old 06-19-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
What is a cornnut?
It's a derogatory term for an Iowan sailor.
titustiger27 likes this.
post #99 of 146 Old 06-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, trust me, this place is FAR better than it used to be in terms of slamming newbs (you're welcome BTW).

Grab a six-pack and some cornnuts and read through these classics to see what I mean:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...tml#post118208

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living...g-miracle.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ly-sucked.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olar-wind.html

I mean, back then we had a MODERATOR setting up people in order to ban them. Just like over on CF.

No, it's WAY better around here now. So let's keep some perspective on all this.
Those were the days! Our finest hour. The greatest generation. :-)
jephotog and CalebD like this.
post #100 of 146 Old 06-20-2016
bell ringer

I'm not sure whether it is me or some of the other threads posters, but it seems a adjustment to meds is needed for one of us.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in