So much hate to new people. - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 146 Old 06-20-2016
n00b

Re: So much hate to new people.

Hmmm, I can't help but feel like the OP just wound everybody up then stepped back to watch the show ;-)

It is possible that he is watching the YouTube videos of sailors doing bone-headed things then read the comment sections. You should generally avoid reading YouTube comment sections.
bigdogandy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 146 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

Mostly YouTube. Lots of videos of people getting mad, especially at charter boat newbies.
post #103 of 146 Old 06-20-2016
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Mostly YouTube. Lots of videos of people getting mad, especially at charter boat newbies.
That makes sense. I've seen some of these video as well. What you need to understand is that most of these charterers aren't just new, they are completely inexperienced and think they can just jump on a 40' boat and go smashing into everyone in the anchorage. They seem to make little or no attempt to learn basic seamanship.

I think most sailors want to help new sailors who want to learn, but will have problems with someone who is reckless.

post #104 of 146 Old 06-20-2016

...so much hate to old people!
post #105 of 146 Old 06-20-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Any one who thinks its difficult here....I can give you some cliquey little groups that are really quite impossible.

This one is really quite nice.
Without a doubt, this is true.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't times where people are less than helpful.

In fact there are some here who, regardless of the topic, know they are right and everyone else is wrong. I've been in conversations where... where it is something I had just researched and while I understand that doesn't make me an expert, having someone say.. "You don't understand tax law."

While that is absolutely true it ignores the point I had just made.

And sometimes it is the land of nebulous like the "is a pirate flag lame...." thread that I take as folly, some are experts... how can you be an expert on that?
bigdogandy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #106 of 146 Old 06-21-2016

As a fairly new sailor myself, I have run into some pretty snarky comments by old salts. A sailing friend of mine calls them "yachties." My first time backing a boat in I didn't hit a thing, but it took me about 10 tries to figure out the prop walk/steering combo to get the ole girl in reverse. After feeling accomplished that I hit nothing and docked slowly enough to step off the boat and tie my own lines as she coasted in, I had a couple tell me "sure took you enough tries. Maybe try forwards next time." They had been sailing for years so they say.

I've had other comments and remarks; the most recent from a boat broker which made no sense. Why complain about a potential buyer when he's standing within ear shot? Obviously you don't want my money.

It can be souring to try and be a part of sailing when the community at large seems to contradict my own friendly, help-anyone, attitude.
post #107 of 146 Old 06-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
As a fairly new sailor myself, I have run into some pretty snarky comments by old salts. A sailing friend of mine calls them "yachties." My first time backing a boat in I didn't hit a thing, but it took me about 10 tries to figure out the prop walk/steering combo to get the ole girl in reverse. After feeling accomplished that I hit nothing and docked slowly enough to step off the boat and tie my own lines as she coasted in, I had a couple tell me "sure took you enough tries. Maybe try forwards next time." They had been sailing for years so they say.
They are losers who couldn't learn how to back in their own boat. Losers don't like newbies to be better than they are.

Quote:
It can be souring to try and be a part of sailing when the community at large seems to contradict my own friendly, help-anyone, attitude.
There are plenty of good people who sail, and there are a minority of dipchits, just like most groups. Be friendly and helpful and outgoing - the good people will find you. So will the dipchits, but just ignore them.
post #108 of 146 Old 06-21-2016
Old soul

Quote:
If they really were being dycks, then you should ignore them. Either that or find a better place to sail out of. I've never encountered anything but generous, friendly fellow sailors out here in the real world. Lots of "sailor" dycks online, but not in real life.

But perhaps they were trying to be helpful. Most sailboats are hard to back up. Maybe they were offering useful advice. Wasn't there, so you would know best.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #109 of 146 Old 06-21-2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_nut

Used to eat them all the time.
Lucky I didn't break a tooth.
Not too healthy.
post #110 of 146 Old 06-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Grab a six-pack and some cornnuts and read through these classics to see what I mean...
Anyone know what happened to the thread with the group of college kids looking for someone to donate a sailboat so they could become professional treasure hunters? They got a little testy when questioned about the feasibility of searching for and salvaging ancient shipwrecks with a sailboat. They had a slick website with bios explaining that they were each "really good at what they do."

I've searched for that thread and can't find it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in