So much hate to new people. - Page 12 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 146 Old 06-22-2016

Re: So much hate to new people.

My personal favorite is the guy that comes on and demands someone give him a catamaran. When he is referred to a fixer upper, he says no it has to be close to new, he is not good with his hands....
Don't hate them, just don't understand them.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 146 Old 06-22-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, trust me, this place is FAR better than it used to be in terms of slamming newbs (you're welcome BTW).

Grab a six-pack and some cornnuts and read through these classics to see what I mean:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...tml#post118208

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living...g-miracle.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ly-sucked.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olar-wind.html

I mean, back then we had a MODERATOR setting up people in order to ban them. Just like over on CF.

No, it's WAY better around here now. So let's keep some perspective on all this.

Just started reading the bull dog one... will have to finish it this weekend, but there is a couple, a baby, two bulldogs (and a third dog that I don't know what it is) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwI...gZ3-g/featured

I do have to say, that how every foolish it might be on bringing a dog out to sea, the the tone from early on is .. well mean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #113 of 146 Old 06-22-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDahlgren View Post
That makes sense. I've seen some of these video as well. What you need to understand is that most of these charterers aren't just new, they are completely inexperienced and think they can just jump on a 40' boat and go smashing into everyone in the anchorage. They seem to make little or no attempt to learn basic seamanship.

I think most sailors want to help new sailors who want to learn, but will have problems with someone who is reckless.
Yea and you get a fresh batch every year. Once they max the credit card on security deposits they usually find something else to do next year.
RobDahlgren likes this.

post #114 of 146 Old 06-26-2016

Did someone say they had credit cards? Gee I knew I needed to bring the square each time I teach docking lessons!

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
post #115 of 146 Old 07-20-2018

F--K 'em. Live your dream. Keep sailing.
post #116 of 146 Old 07-20-2018
Master Mariner

I guess I don't get the youtube thing. Very occasionally I'll watch the hacks, but they are so repetitive that I usually nod off after a few videos. Anyway, it seems only one in 100 ideas may be useful to me.
I couldn't imagine watching anyone else cruising. I once heard ocean sailing described as 99% shear boredom and 1% shear terror. That's a whole lot of watching boring videos for a few seconds entertainment.
Perhaps there are some instructional videos on how to do things that are helpful to some. The few I've watched out of curiosity seem pretty amateur and unpolished (read boring here), not exactly a source for reliable information, if they can't keep one engaged, IMO. Go to Maine Sail's site for that stuff; that guy knows his $hit!
The fact that Vagabond and others can actually make money through subscriptions with videos of sailing around just amazes me. What is the appeal? If sailing around is something you plan to do, why miss out on the adventure of experiencing it for yourself first, by watching someone else go there before you? If it's just entertainment, National Geographic and many TV producers do travel shows better than any amateur, without the ego thing of most youtube videoers.
If you are never going to go, what's the appeal of that format? Its like the plethora of books out there on sailing. One in a gazillion of them is actually written by a someone who has any talent as an author. The rest seem like ego trips for the writer. If I've been asked to write a book once, I've been asked a thousand times. Why? I haven't done anything that many others haven't done before me and after me. Sure each of my pages and chapters are unique to my story, but aren't we all in that very same boat, so to speak?
chef2sail and MikeOReilly like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #117 of 146 Old 07-21-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I guess I don't get the youtube thing. Very occasionally I'll watch the hacks, but they are so repetitive that I usually nod off after a few videos. Ö
The fact that Vagabond and others can actually make money through subscriptions with videos of sailing around just amazes me. What is the appeal? If sailing around is something you plan to do, why miss out on the adventure of experiencing it for yourself first, by watching someone else go there before you? If it's just entertainment, ...
+1

I've watched a few of them, off and on, over the years. A friend gave us a whole bunch of early year Vagabond, and that was somewhat interesting. But after a short while it all gets repetitive and boring.

Itís really no different than watch sports on TV ó yet millions (billions?) do this all the time. I really donít get it, which usually makes me the odd man out whenever hockey/curling/football (soccer)/baseball folly takes over the crowd. I like to play some of those things (love curling!), but to sit on my @ss and stare at a tube watching someone play makes no sense to me (besides, itís all about money anywayÖ).

I see sailing vids in the same way. Actually, they serve the same need and same market as glossy ďdreamĒ magazines. Itís not really about doing ó itís about dreaming of doing.
SanderO, capta and oysterman23 like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #118 of 146 Old 07-21-2018
bell ringer

I canít watch sailing videos. I try sometimes as my wife watches and for some reason that means Iím suppose to. But after 4 minutes with nothing blowing up or some sex or something like that, I just lose interest.
capta likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #119 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

I watch a few and mostly enjoy them. Although, when they get to shore, I will lose interest, unless the vid shows the cruising experience of getting to/from shore, challenges clearing in, finding unique provisions, or some other cruising relevant angle. Just a land based travel vid does nothing for me.

I still watch s/v Delos. Totally lost interest in Sailing LaVagabond and now hear she is pregnant. That game is near over, is my guess. Iíve also been enjoying Ran Sailing, but they are getting heavy handed with the shore travel content.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #120 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

For old salts this new sort of cruising guide format was of mild interest. For many it was the eye candy thing. I have no interest in seeing newbs pass hurdles I did decades ago. Good for them. I certainly am not paying. For those who have not experienced what these videos show it is of interest... easier than reading... and they grew up on MTV.

I suspect this phenomena will fade away... but not disappear. But it is something to do... document and share for free of for cash.

Mike is correct about watching sports on TV. You need to know the players and so forth. Just knowing the rules of the sport does not make for interesting watching. It tends to all look the same.
MikeOReilly likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 07-22-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in