So much hate to new people. - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 146 Old 07-22-2018
Dirt Free

Re: So much hate to new people.

Every couple of weeks someone shows up on the forum and is looking for a boat to sail the world or just an anchored semi-floating dump to sleep on. They either find a free boat in a swamp someplace or the have $3k to spend and many already insist they know everything. You know the ones .... they ask questions then argue about everything with people who have been doing this for decades. 99.9% of them and their boats end up as derelicts among the many others between the Carolinas and Key West. These are the people that give cruisers a bad name and make it more difficult for the more responsible among us.

Once in a while a noob turns up asking intelligent questions and displays a mindset that shows they are willing to learn and work hard to achieve their goal.

I think many of us have become adept at telling the difference between the two types and lose patience with the idiots ( I know I do) but I also offer encouragement and support to the more realistic and intelligent ones.

Hate, no, impatience, yes (sometimes)

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 07-22-2018
bell ringer

I think sailing videos/blogs are like sailing magazines. They are full of sugar and fun, until you get diabetes.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 146 Old 07-22-2018
Old soul

I rarely respond to the dreamers or folks coming in saying “I know nothing, but saw a video and now want to live the life…” I don’t want to discourage anyone, but there’s little point having much of a discussion with them yet. They have too many unknown-unknowns at this early stage to make it worthwhile to them, or to me.

The best advice for these “I have a dream” posters is to read a few good books, or better yet, go sailing for a while. Once they’ve done this they will then be able to start understanding what they don’t know.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

How many of these vloggers are members of this or any sailing forum? I suspect few and that may be a sign that they are not really part of the sailing community despite out there sailing. You'd think they would have things to share with the noobs especially. It may be a narcissist thing. Dunno. Don't care. Not buyin'
capta likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #125 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
How many of these vloggers are members of this or any sailing forum? I suspect few and that may be a sign that they are not really part of the sailing community despite out there sailing. You'd think they would have things to share with the noobs especially. It may be a narcissist thing. Dunno. Don't care. Not buyin'
They are probably busy with their vlog project....not lazing around....spelled on a mission.
They use these types of forums to promote their project which you either follow or not.
post #126 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
They are probably busy with their vlog project....not lazing around....spelled on a mission.
They use these types of forums to promote their project which you either follow or not.
Their time is consumed by vlog production? Sounds a bid weird. I suppose production is time consuming. Whatever.

post #127 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Their time is consumed by vlog production? Sounds a bid weird. I suppose production is time consuming. Whatever.
They communicate with friends and family...and the people tossing $s their way.
They dont really have time to talk to you, me or another Adam they dont know.

Its time consuming.
post #128 of 146 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
There are forums dedicated entirely to sailing vloggers, the ones I am familiar with are facebook format. For some reason there seems to be a lot less flaming and fighting on FB groups. I have 3 that I visit (including one for vloggers) and they are all very active. Vloggers have very specific types of questions that likely would not receive the very relevant answers on the more traditional forums.

I know of about 4 or 5 Youtubers who Post on SN. There are several on SA and Wooden Boat as well.
post #129 of 146 Old 07-23-2018

My position is like this...

It's a decent idea to document your adventures while cruising in video format. However I am not sure if when documenting your journey becomes the central theme you have crossed some imaginary artificial line into something other than cruising for "discovery and experience of the new". Documentarians (is their a word?) seem to NOT be part of what they document. Obviously a cruising adventure documentary made by the cruisers themselves IS often much about the documentary maker. And it is hard to separate the sailor from their sailboat.

So what would be topics of interest to family and friends?... random strangers?... other sailors? There might be some overlap... but there could also be some areas of interest to one group of no interest to another. Think of changing an impeller of a water pump.

Then there is the issue of cost. Once one gets the appropriate camera and software to edit and the platform to do the editing on... there may not be many additional costs... a drone? Lighting? A camera person?

Content can and often can be monetized. We pay for books and to see movies. And so many vloggers have decided to monetize their effort. I doubt they would expect family and friends to pay, but they expect the public to. Enter the advertiser. They pay and do so to generate sales of their own product. Advertising is a necessary evil. We find it annoyed when it interrupts the content. But we get the content for free and may or may not support the advertiser or sponsor.

Having seen a few of these episodes I have concluded they are of little interest to me and of no interest to support financially. I think they do no harm and likely do some good. Like so many things... it's a mixed bag.

post #130 of 146 Old 07-23-2018
Old soul

Anyone making much more than beer money via Youtube/patrreon or whatever have made a serious investment in equipment, skill and time. It takes serious effort to produce a quality video. And make no mistake, those that make money are excellent.

It is a real job, and one that takes a huge amount of effort if you plan to make an income over the long term. In another life I used to do similar things back in the day when magazine writing still paid decently. But I stopped b/c I found that my trips (mostly wilderness canoeing at that point) turned into work.

I’ve got nothing against anyone trying to make money selling stories about their adventures. I just have little interest in just about any of them. Emerald Steel or drakeParagon (who does post here) might catch my eye during my off season, but most of it just doesn’t seem very relevant to how I cruise (same as watching the Volvo race holds no interest for me either).
ThereYouAre likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in