SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   So much hate to new people. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/255202-so-much-hate-new-people.html)

jrd22 06-06-2016 12:05 AM

Re: So much hate to new people.

I hate you. You just think you can buy a sailboat and sail away, eh? Well think again bucko, the ocean is no place for newbies like you. Come back in 20 years or so and maybe we'll let you do some sailing, or maybe not. Until then just enjoy being a landlubber and get those ridiculous thoughts of sailing in a gentle breeze, anchoring in an idyllic cove, exploring places you've always heard about but never in your wildest dreams thought you would be able to sail there on your own boat, out of your silly head. :-))

Squidd 06-06-2016 02:09 AM

You can always buy an RV...costs are about the same I hear...

norsearayder 06-06-2016 08:57 AM

welcome to the site !tons of good people here. ihave found ansers here on many related subjects...ignore the aholes...u gotta a good boat so sail the hell out of her...in docking come in slow and then slow down .keep your steerage...don't drift.... after the first 50 times or so u can do it in your sleep...good luck and enjoy

Siamese 06-06-2016 09:30 AM

Experienced sailors hate new sailors? Riiiiiight. Sorry Serpa, not buying it.

At my marina, new sailors are met with open arms and encouragement. I suppose the exception would be if the new sailor was a jerk.

Hmmmm.

RobGallagher 06-06-2016 09:30 AM

You are starting with a great boat. Myself, I never sailed a day until I took ASA 101 and 105 back in 2001. Then I bought my 1972 C&C 30MKI that fall. 12 years later I sold that boat and bought my second C&C.

The owner of my first boat and I became friends and we still stay in contact and sail together once or twice a year. One thing he told me that I'll never forget;

"The perfect days of sailing and all the perfect sunsets blend together. The days when things go wrong, something breaks or the weather turns to snot, those are the days you remember. Those are the days that become stories to tell, times to look back and laugh at."

misfits 06-06-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryewe (Post 3522386)
Nervous, huh?

Nobody will laugh at you. We were all there once.

Don't believe it. Everyone will laugh at you.
Funny thing about boating, you're either watching the show or you are the show:)
We've all been there, relax & enjoy it.
Good luck with the new boat & have fun!

Sailormon6 06-06-2016 07:02 PM

Yeah, when you look back on your newbie-ness, 30 years from now, you'll view your failures with almost as much fondness as your successes. Trust me on this. Every failure is a learning experience. They make you grow.

Fau 06-06-2016 07:10 PM

Hmmm. I'm still relatively new and I've found most sailors to be remarkably helpful and welcoming. Good luck with your new boat!

miatapaul 06-06-2016 07:16 PM

Yea, I think this sight is mostly encouraging, though if you have a real hair brained, or even dangerous idea you might get a little blow back, but it is with your interest in mind.

Remember the only difference between being laughed at and being laughed with is attitude. Enjoy the fun, even in your own mistakes!

krisscross 06-06-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpa4 (Post 3522370)
So many videos and such calling new people all kinds of stuff.

When did we start making videos laughing at newbies? And why was I not invited? ;)
Dude, relax... pi.ss on them old timers telling you what to do. They talk tough now but in their days they made such bonehead moves they are too embarrassed to talk about it even when fully liquored up.