So much hate to new people. - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 146 Old 06-07-2016 Thread Starter

Re: So much hate to new people.

We, not in this forum. I guess it's all on you tube and I should stop watching those videos. I spend a lot of time on you tube since I'm currently in New Mexico and cannot get real experience here.
Lots of videos showing the idiot new guy failing to dock properly, running aground, etc. Maybe it everyone making fun of the dumb stuff new people do vice just hating the new guy.

1988 C&C 30MkII used as a live aboard in MD. Sailing experience: Started 2014; 6-mo on Hobbie Cat Wave 13', 1 year on a Potter P15 sailboat, and ASA 101,103/104 classes. Power boater for 20+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 146 Old 06-07-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I hate that people hate hate. Why do we all have to get along? :-)

Link to the hate vids please, should be 'interesting'.
All we are saying, is give hate a chance.
Skipper Jer and alctel like this.
post #33 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Maybe if we lay off the new guy. He might realise he is mistaken. giving a hard time for what he perceives is unlikely to change his perception.
You tube, will make fun of almost anyone doing almost anything, its not restricted to sailing or filmed by "sailors".

post #34 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
We, not in this forum. I guess it's all on you tube and I should stop watching those videos. I spend a lot of time on you tube since I'm currently in New Mexico and cannot get real experience here.
Lots of videos showing the idiot new guy failing to dock properly, running aground, etc. Maybe it everyone making fun of the dumb stuff new people do vice just hating the new guy.
This sounds kind of like the sailors equivalent of Funniest Home Videos or something. People love to video people doing stupid stuff, not just sailors.

We've been in the sailing community for many years and have never experienced the kind of hate, either toward us when we were newbies, or toward new people that have come along since, that you are describing. To the contrary, I think some of the kindest, most generous, and helpful people I have ever met have been boaters. Me thinks you are feeling very defensive and/or insecure for some reason. Let that go and enjoy your boat.

Some people on some of the forums are real pieces of work sometimes, but I think that's a symptom of just who they are as people and probably isn't exclusive to their sailing life. People who are assholes tend to have that assholeyness exaggerated online where they have keyboard courage and don't have to deal with people face to face. Why would you care what that kind of person thinks anyway?
MikeOReilly and seabeau like this.
post #35 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

So, given the choice of "put up or shut up", you seem to have chosen "none of the above", as you haven't shown one of the many, hate filled videos you told us about.

Seems like you either have some personal issues you need to resolve, as has already been suggested, or you just throw the "hate" word around indiscriminately. Either way, you should quit it.
bobperry likes this.
post #36 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Quote:
Yes... You should stop watching those videos and go out on your boat with someone experienced to show you the ropes, etc. Youtube while it may be informative in one aspect is NOT the place to get real experience (although there are some real good training videos)... Those videos you see are like the 'bloopers' videos showing the worst in people and should not be taken in for real experience more as a 'Capt Ron' type humor.

If you have the time to get out on the boat as much as you can, you will see that much of what's been said here by many experienced sailors will soon click in your head and it'll be a breeze. Sailing isn't rocket science and even Einstein had some bad days on his sailboat too. Enjoy and let down that hate... breathe!

Last edited by guitarguy56; 06-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
post #37 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Some people on some of the forums are real pieces of work sometimes, but I think that's a symptom of just who they are as people and probably isn't exclusive to their sailing life. People who are assholes tend to have that assholeyness exaggerated online where they have keyboard courage and don't have to deal with people face to face. Why would you care what that kind of person thinks anyway?
Considering that serpa4 has admitted that he is informed mostly by the internet and doesn't have much real life experience, it is understandable that he/she may be concerned about sailors' attitudes in light of the existence of internet jerks that oldragbaggers acknowledges.

Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
So, given the choice of "put up or shut up", you seem to have chosen "none of the above", as you haven't shown one of the many, hate filled videos you told us about.

Seems like you either have some personal issues you need to resolve, as has already been suggested, or you just throw the "hate" word around indiscriminately. Either way, you should quit it.
I'll add that Sailing Anarchy is a place that attracts jerks and Cruisers Forum has quite a lot of argumentative threads and lots of posters there seem intolerant of those who do not have expertise in their particular set of group-thought. Even this thread piles on the OP for expressing an observation that is not popular with the in-group.

To serpa4 - Sailors, as a whole, aren't different than the general population, as a whole. Your experience will mostly be about the attitude you bring and how you react to the various people and situations you will encounter. Most people are good and want to be helpful. Some are insecure and need to put other people down in order to prop themselves up. Some are crusty on the outside and warm and fuzzy on the inside....Find the people you like; try to be nice to the people you don't like, and above all, don't be an ashhole.
Don't be afraid to ask questions or request help. It gives people an convenient opportunity to do their daily good deed. And if you follow their advice, they will not criticize you.

As in all groups, the jargon seems offputting to the neophyte. But just like traveling to different countries, an attempt to learn a bit of the language is appreciated and goes a long way toward having people warm up to you.
oldragbaggers and bobperry like this.

Last edited by jwing; 06-07-2016 at 10:11 AM.
post #38 of 146 Old 06-07-2016
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
+1

Sadly both forums I participate have a small but mouthy contingent of @-holes. I do find SN to be somewhat better than CF. From what I've heard, I have zero interest in SA. Mostly you just learn who these people are, and then ignore them ... just like in real life.

Of course this is why I said, "Most real sailors are helpful, supportive and generous to new folks." By real, I mean people out at the anchorage, or on the dock. There are real sailors/cruisers here as well, but the online world seems to bring out the @-hole in all of us much more than in real life .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 146 Old 06-07-2016
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
+1

Of course this is why I said, "Most real sailors are helpful, supportive and generous to new folks." By real, I mean people out at the anchorage, or on the dock. There are real sailors/cruisers here as well, but the online world seems to bring out the @-hole in all of us much more than in real life .

I don't know about that, I was an @-hole long before the internet came along...back in the good old days when you had to do it face to face..

Of course being a sailor now may have mellowed that a bit..
bobperry, bshock and seabeau like this.

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"

Last edited by Squidd; 06-07-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #40 of 146 Old 06-07-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
How do you know they are "new"?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in