So much hate to new people. - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Re: So much hate to new people.

Seems the norm for people on the internet to vet their anger and hate... hey it's easy since it involves no real interaction. I have architect friends who state the same anger, unprofessionalism, miscontent when differing in viewpoints on their forums not much different than what we see here and in other sailing forums.

I don't believe I see this in real life with people at the dock or marina but instead see helpful, full of advice, good natured sailors and visitors. I only see this back to back vitriol here and I am one to admit I have done my share of it in the past. No real intention... 'The internet made me do it' is about what anyone can suffice.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 06-07-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
How do you know they are "new"?
Good point, Don. Experience or no experience, just when you think you can do no wrong, you do.
post #43 of 146 Old 06-07-2016

I don't know..."hate","new" and small are such overused terms, as in "I hate because he is the new guy and his boat is small" Let's mix up the terms a bit. How about "I abhor him because he is shallow (and so is his draft) and insensitive" or we could evoke the class struggle and say "I will imprison him because he is a capitalist and has more money in his boat than me". I mean "give hate a chance" is cute and everything, but come on, lets be creative. How about a little goth and we could "give the plague a chance, get your boat rats in New Mexico" and bring love with a pocket full of Paises.
If we're going to flame, let's flame with color!
smackdaddy and bobperry like this.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.

post #44 of 146 Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
So, given the choice of "put up or shut up", you seem to have chosen "none of the above", as you haven't shown one of the many, hate filled videos you told us about.

Seems like you either have some personal issues you need to resolve, as has already been suggested, or you just throw the "hate" word around indiscriminately. Either way, you should quit it.
Hostile are we?
I work 12hr shifts plus a drive each way. Top of my list of things to do are sleep and eating.
guitarguy56 and titustiger27 like this.

1988 C&C 30MkII used as a live aboard in MD. Sailing experience: Started 2014; 6-mo on Hobbie Cat Wave 13', 1 year on a Potter P15 sailboat, and ASA 101,103/104 classes. Power boater for 20+ years.
post #45 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Sailors are like electricians. They know that there is only one way to do something.

They know that if someone does it in another way than the "right way" it will destroy the balance of life as we know it. And they know that if they hear that someone did it differently than the right way, that it will also destroy their entire understanding of the world as they know it, and so that person must be stopped, and in as abrupt a way as possible.

What they don't know is that there are actually a 100 ways to do something, and that their way is just one of the 100.
post #46 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Stupid is, as stupid does!....Dale
Catnip Tpo likes this.

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #47 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Sailors are like electricians. They know that there is only one way to do something.

They know that if someone does it in another way than the "right way" it will destroy the balance of life as we know it. And they know that if they hear that someone did it differently than the right way, that it will also destroy their entire understanding of the world as they know it, and so that person must be stopped, and in as abrupt a way as possible.

What they don't know is that there are actually a 100 ways to do something, and that their way is just one of the 100.
Best post of the week! Bravo to you for saying so!
Zarathu likes this.
post #48 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:

The other side of that coin is that there are 10,000 wrong ways to do something. I find at least 1 or 2 every time I take my boat out.
post #49 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
The other side of that coin is that there are 10,000 wrong ways to do something. I find at least 1 or 2 every time I take my boat out.
I hope you are saving them so you can write a best-seller.

I read a book online(I think I have on it on my main computer) where the guy did something seriously wrong every time he went out. He began to expect it. After he stopped doing things wrong, he bought a new boat because he said sailing without making a serious error was just no fun anymore.

I can't imagine that, unless I try really really hard.
Catnip Tpo likes this.
post #50 of 146 Old 06-08-2016

Quote:
I hope you are saving them so you can write a best-seller...
I did start a log book of lessons-learned. But then I left it in the boat and it got covered in mildew....
guitarguy56 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in