So much hate to new people. - SailNet Community
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 146 Old 06-05-2016 Thread Starter

So much hate to new people.

So many videos and such calling new people all kinds of stuff. Seems like everyone keeps saying you shouldn't be allowed to sail (not to me) to all the beginners. Everyone, even experts have to have their 1st week on a boat. Shish, you have to learn some time. It's like instant hate when people see you've been sailing for anything less than 20 years.

I have my 1st day of sailing my boat coming this month (30' C&C 30). I'm graduating from a 15' potter sail boat at 400lbs to this 9,000 lbs beast. Not looking forward to all the hate everyone spews. I have just completed ASA 101, 103/104, but still nervous about it. I'll see if a dock hand at the marina will jump onboard for my 1st docking in a marina. Life has thus far been motoring onto my trailer with a motor that rotates 360 degrees. Backing up this 30' boat with not much effect/prop wash, is intimidating even though I didn't bash in the sailing instructor's beneteau 35 docking in 28-32 sustained wind.

Just a rant, no response required.
Buc210 likes this.

1988 C&C 30MkII used as a live aboard in MD. Sailing experience: Started 2014; 6-mo on Hobbie Cat Wave 13', 1 year on a Potter P15 sailboat, and ASA 101,103/104 classes. Power boater for 20+ years.

Last edited by serpa4; 06-05-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 06-05-2016

Re: So much hate to new people.

Nervous, huh?

Nobody will laugh at you. We were all there once.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
post #3 of 146 Old 06-05-2016

I don't know why you feel the hate. I find most sailor friendly.

I do see a lot of negativity posted here by some who make it seam sailing is a dangerous game and you should never leave the dock in case you encounter sea monsters or dragons. It reflects on them not you.

looks like you are of to a good start and have found a really nice boat. Not everyone loves a C&C but I have one and they are really nice boats to sail. You took a course to learn the basics. You are well prepared.

Once you get on your boat take her out and get comfortable. If you feel you need help ask for it I'm sure someone will oblige.

Good luck have fun. Wave at other boats most will wave back.
I sail on the other side of the continent but would give you a friendly wave if you pass by.
RichH likes this.

post #4 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
Old soul

Not sure what hate you're talking about, unless you've been hanging out in sailor fight club thread, or whatever it's called. Most real sailors are helpful, supportive and generous to new folks.

Enjoy your new boat. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
One of None

you are in a great location! 10 yr ago I bought my O'Day 30 just up river by the bridge from Harrington and had the the survey and lift out at Harrington! I spent some time just motoring but the day my son took her out was a rush! Even crossing sand the bar was fun! Inertia of a sailboat can take some time to under stand they keep going and going using reverse helps but stopping the boat dead is a learning curve. Fair winds!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #6 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
Tartan 27' owner

No hate here at all towards new sailors of keel boats. The only thing I hate is that you sound much better prepared than I was on my first keel boat voyage over 12 years ago. Gotta start somewhere though and MikeOReily is correct that most yachties will chew your ear off attempting to be helpful. I'm probably one of them.

Get out there and sail that C&C 30'; nice boat BTW. One easy overnight sail (weather permitting) might be from HH to the Tilghman Island cut; Tilghman Marina was nice when visited last year and about $75 for an overnight transient slip w/wifi, shoreside showers, heads... breakfast of sorts too.
MikeOReilly and scubadoo like this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 06-05-2016 at 10:47 PM.
post #7 of 146 Old 06-05-2016

Just don't install an induction cooktop and you won't feel the hate! Otherwise you have a great boat and you'll do just fine! We were in your shoes at one point in our sailing lives.
zeehag and scubadoo like this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 06-05-2016 at 11:14 PM.
post #8 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Just take it one step at a time and it'll be cool (and in close quarters, don't go faster, when you can go slower There's very little true hate on these forums, but ya gotta grow a thick skin because they will call out posters' ignorance (mine included) in no time flat. I went from sailing a few times on a motor-less Cal 20 to buying a 38-footer. First time I docked it to get fuel just before bringing it up the Northern California coast, I watched the attendants struggle to hold onto the dock lines and wrestle my boat to the dock. My friend leans over and says in my ear, "now take it out of gear."

Sheez.

But really, it's all good. Just take it one day at a time and you're going to have a blast every day you go out
MikeOReilly likes this.

Last edited by gamayun; 06-05-2016 at 11:44 PM.
post #9 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
Banned

Serpa - you're the reason sailing exists. Hang tough brotha. And have some big fun out there.
zeehag and bobperry like this.
post #10 of 146 Old 06-05-2016
al brazzi

Keep it simple bow into the slip back out work the wind.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in