Learn to sail by racing, a good idea? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 86 Old 07-18-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock
Re: Learn to sail by racing, a good idea?

If you don't keep score, it's hard to measure progress.

If you enjoyed sailing, and then racing then by all means continue it, and don't be talked out of it.

As noted above, the discipline of following a course at a given starting time will challenge your skills, and provide feedback on your progress. Taking care to know the rules, and prioritizing safety ahead of speed is appropriate, and you can track your progress as you pass boats that you used to follow.

Learning to handle you boat in close quarters on a starting line, rounding marks and crossing others is an excellent way to learn for when you may need to recover something overboard, clear an obstruction or just get home before the bar closes.

Knowing how to point and foot and when to do both, to tack effectively and get best boat speed for your conditions, may be merely pleasing for mastery of a skill, or it could be important in a future time to get you to safety ahead of the weather.

Given a chance, crew with others, and take both newbies and experienced crew along, you can learn a lot from different opinions and questions both asked and answered.

We race a 40' 20,000lb 1962 Yawl on the Oakland/Alameda Estuary, where the courses can look like this:

We struggle to stay ahead of the Santana 22's in light air, they can tack faster and point higher, but we have a mast that gets above the shoreline obstructions and can occasionally ghost past them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 Old 10-20-2016 Thread Starter

Now that race season is over for our club. I wanted to come back and say Thanks! to everyone here that encouraged me to keep racing. While I did suffer a couple last place finishes early on. I keep improving, gaining confidence (I now sit on the rail, steer with the extension fully extended, don’t need to look at the wind vane to find the wind) I had 2nd place finish in the last race of the season. Heck I even had a tip for an experienced cruiser on his keel boat. Yeah, I still struggle in light air, rely on experienced crew to help with rules (room at the mark, overlap…), but I’m having a blast and getting better every time out. Now if I could just learn to roll-tack and fly my spinnaker.
Faster, gamayun and ThereYouAre like this.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #83 of 86 Old 10-21-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsail View Post
[snip] Knowing how to point and foot and when to do both, to tack effectively and get best boat speed for your conditions, may be merely pleasing for mastery of a skill, or it could be important in a future time to get you to safety ahead of the weather.
OK, I've been racing for 4 years now and not until a few weeks ago did someone mention the term "footing". What exactly is this? Is it just keeping the boat in a straight line? What are you doing or looking for when you're footing correctly?

post #84 of 86 Old 10-21-2016

footing is sailing close hauled but a slightly lower angle to get the power in the sail to accelerate after a tack. the opposite of pinching

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #85 of 86 Old 10-23-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
footing is sailing close hauled but a slightly lower angle to get the power in the sail to accelerate after a tack. the opposite of pinching
Got it. Thanks. Now I know what to call that move
post #86 of 86 Old 10-25-2016
Anarchist in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
That's pretty much it, but I'd broaden that to cover ANY time you're cracked off slightly and willing to sacrifice height for speed. A great example is when you are in another boats foul air but want to go in the same direction, footing off will create lateral separation and allow you to sail in clear air.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in