Dumb question Please don't make fun - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stu Jackson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter

Dumb question Please don't make fun

I just ought a Merit 25 for an outstanding price. Problem is I know about as much about boating as your average rock. I am going to take sailing classes in the next few weeks but in the meantime I am trying to learn as much as I can on the dry. My question is this: on the back of the boat there are three holes drain holes I guess, Two of them go directly into the cockpit I am guessing for drainage, The other one apparently goes to the bilge pump under the helmsman seat. Do any or all of these need a plug of any kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2016

Re: Dumb question Please don't make fun

not a dumb question, but pics would help, usually you don't need plugs on a sailboat, the drains are there to empty the cockpit.
The Following User Says Thank You to fred1diver For This Useful Post:
Christopher Hogg (06-11-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2016

Agreed.. those fitting should, in fact, not be plugged - you'd defeat their purpose.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Christopher Hogg (06-11-2016)

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2016

Sailing for Dummies, a truly great book.
Zarathu likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Chris, you may not need those plugs. It depends. When the boat is sitting in the water, are the holes above water level? Then perhaps they do not need to be closed with a plug. Look inside your boat. Are they part of the cockpit drain (connected by a tube to the floor of the cockpit)? Is it part of the bildge pump system? You need to look around the boat and find out what's there. One of the fun things to do with a new boat is put on some old clothes and just look at all the nooks and crannies. Explore the internet to find information about your boat. I imagine you can find answers there. There is a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Merit25/ that might be informative. It's really nice if you can find someone in your area with the same, or similar boat. Most people are glad to help. Have fun with the new boat.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2016

Look like this?

Those are above-the-waterline cockpit drains by the look of it, with the third smaller one likely the bilge pump outlet.

Possible the bilge pump fitting could end up with water below, but if properly designed it's unlikely.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sailing for Dummies, a truly great book.
For sailing itself:

Fast Track to Sailing: Learn In Three Days by Steve and Doris Colgate(Off Shore Sailing School)

Also designed for a boat about your size.

I've been collecting sailing books for 50 years. This one blows all the rest away. You really can teach yourself with this book.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2016

I don't know the setup on a Merit 25 for self-bailing, but above posters sound "right" to me.

Crawl under the cockpit (if possible, ha ha or use a mirror on a stick) and there will be hoses connecting your cockpit drains ("scuppers") to those two holes. If there aren't, and your scuppers are open in the cockpit floor as they should be, the rainwater will drain into the bilge and you'd REALLY be aware of that.

Compliments on selecting the Merit 25, though. By reputation, they are really sweet sailing and responsive boats, that'll give you good performance (they do well in club races) and give you the kind of sensitive "feedback" that will make learning to sail her that much easier, and fun to go faster than the average 25 once you do learn. Heck, you may even end up racing her if there's a fleet nearby.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
For sailing itself:

Fast Track to Sailing: Learn In Three Days by Steve and Doris Colgate(Off Shore Sailing School)

Also designed for a boat about your size.

I've been collecting sailing books for 50 years. This one blows all the rest away. You really can teach yourself with this book.
Good book, that I rarely see mentioned here. I would add The Complete Sailor by David Seidman. With these two books you should be able to take the boat out and have fun. Just pick days that are not too light on wind but not too heavy at first, to keep stress levels down.

Nice thing about these two books are that they are shortish and quick reading. I have not seen the second edition of the Complete sailor so I don't know what has been added but love the first edition.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2016

I have one cockpit drain at front of cockpit.
I find that any pounding causes water to pop up and get half of the cockpit sole wet, including any sheets that happens to be lying there.

I put one of these in before I leave the dock and remove it when close up the boat.

https://www.svb24.com/en/expanding-b...rain-plug.html

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in