Singlehanded Reefing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 06-14-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Singlehanded Reefing

I've shot moorings in that spot last summer a bunch, and this summer, and I do practice as much as I can with the touch-and-go thing. In this case, with the weather coming up, there were a number of other boats coming in with instructors and students on them, and it was a little cluttered coming up and picking a mooring. It just makes you realize, as you're saying, that you've got to try it under easy conditions first, as often as possible... somehow, when it gets a bit "nautical" it's a whole lot more tense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-14-2016
Barquito

Once you get more practiced, you could consider reefing or lowering a jib, in a dynamic move. This is what I have done: Point into the wind. Walk swiftly to the sail you are working on, and get it done (or mostly done) before the boat falls off and starts sailing again. Beware that if it is really windy, or there is much chop, you may get stopped quickly. There are some boats that were really not designed to be single handed. If you need to go to the mast to reef, you either need an auto-pilot, or crew to do it without some deck-gymnastics.

Valiant 32
post #13 of 18 Old 06-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Once you get more practiced, you could consider reefing or lowering a jib, in a dynamic move. This is what I have done: Point into the wind. Walk swiftly to the sail you are working on, and get it done (or mostly done) before the boat falls off and starts sailing again.
A much easier and safer way to do this is to rig a jib downhaul, then sail on port tack, heave to and drop the sail on the foredeck from the cockpit.

Also when reefing, do this too, so you'll be on the high side then reefing the main, where the clew reefing line and the main halyard should be.
ed211 likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

post #14 of 18 Old 06-14-2016
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
I talked to a couple of friends who've done ASA 101, and I was pretty surprised to find that nothing was discussed about reefing, let alone doing so on your own, and that they hadn't drilled doing a heave-to, either.

I think the takeaway I got from it was that I was curious to hear what othier folks recommended (so, thanks infinitely, all, for the suggestions...), that singlehanded practice isn't well supported by instruction (and is a heck of a lot harder for some small stuff than you realize), and that I need to spend my next day on the water working on heaving to...
ASA 101 does not cover singlehanding, but heaving to and reefing are core subjects, that a class might have missed either yet both is very surprising.

We specifically teach heaving to for the purpose of reefing. Don't over think it, that's your answer.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-15-2016 at 10:12 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-15-2016

This is a timely discussion. I was out last Saturday, single handed, in good stiff winds. This was the first outing of the season and had the flavor of a shakedown cruise and its associated surprises. I decided to reef, and it was a mess. I was busier than a ________ in a _________. Heaving-to would have been a great idea, and I'll definitely give that a try next time.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
As I understand your question, you're asking for ideas on how to approach a mooring under sail in strong winds. Generally, the jib generates boat speed, and the mainsail helps the boat point to windward. To approach a mooring, you don't need maximum boat speed. With too much speed, you'll shoot past the mooring before you can grab it. You need slow speed and maneuverability. If you drop the jib on the deck, you'll reduce speed greatly. Nevertheless, with the mainsail, you can still sail to windward, to approach the mooring, and then, when you're there, bring the boat head-to-wind to stop forward momentum while you grab the mooring.

Obviously, by bringing down the jib, you are also significantly reducing sail area, which addresses your question about reefing. In a blow, if all you have driving the boat is the mainsail, you can feather it in the gusts by easing the mainsheet or traveler, and bring it up in the lulls. That gives you much better control of the boat than you'll have with jib and main.
only on a headsail driven boat with a genoa not a jib does the headsail generate speed. my soling for instance is a mainsail driven boat, my catalina 27 is a headsail driven boat
post #17 of 18 Old 06-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed211 View Post
only on a headsail driven boat with a genoa not a jib does the headsail generate speed. my soling for instance is a mainsail driven boat, my catalina 27 is a headsail driven boat
The original post refers to a Rainbow 24, which has a masthead rig, and is what you describe as a "headsail driven boat." My comment was directed to a Rainbow 24, not to a Soling. I respectfully disagree with your opinion that a 100% jib doesn't generate speed on a masthead-rigged boat. Using your term, it seems obvious that a "headsail driven" boat is primarily driven by its headsail.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-16-2016
Full time cruiser

Probably not helpful -- but we watch the weather a lot and if the wind begins to pick up we reef - if it does not materialize we shake the reef out and continue but if it does we are good to go

our mantra -- reef early reef often - it never fails to disappoint us

Oh and as an aside inmast furling is great

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in