New Sailor in New York Area - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2016 Thread Starter

New Sailor in New York Area

I'm as new to sailing as can be. I live in Westchester and have been researching sailing programs, both those that sail in LI Sound and in the Hudson River. Lots of info, lots of confusion! NY locals, feel free to share your thoughts on where I'd be better off taking the ASA Basic Keelboat Sailing 101 course.

Assuming I take and pass the 101 course, the next decision to make is where best to rent a sailboat when I need/want one. I know there are many clubs in the area, but it's tough to tell which ones are the best. Again, any recommendations based on first-hand experience will be welcomed.

TIA

HML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

Re: New Sailor in New York Area

Bump?
post #3 of 15 Old 07-11-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Moving this to a more appropriate forum for asking this question and I'll ping some NYC area members.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-11-2016
Tartan 27' owner

I took the 101 course on City Island about 15 years ago but I'm not sure they are still there. They used Benneteau 21' boats for that class. I think there is an outfit (Offshore Sailing) that will teach you on a Colgate 26' which might be worth a premium price.

NY Community Sailing, SailNY - New York City's Community Sailing Association has to be one of the cheapest ways to go sailing in all NYC. I don't think you need the 101 course (though it couldn't hurt) to join their group and learn to sail on 27' Solings in the Hudson river. You may have to go to Weehawken to get to their boats though.

There is a Sailtime outfit at Chelsea Piers which is like a time share arrangement.
Sailboats can also be rented at Oyster Bay Sailing Center.

It is summer right now and many clubs offer Wednesday night racing (as well as most Sundays). There are often skippers looking for crew for the races. I usually race at Nyack Boat Club on Weds. nights. If you show up there around 5 pm you should be able to find a spot on a boat. Race is at 6:30pm sharp. You could try this with some of the Westchester Yacht Clubs too although places like Larchmont YC could be a little daunting.

Your cheapest bet will be any community based sailing program, if you can find one.

Good luck.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #5 of 15 Old 07-11-2016

Croton Sailing does ASA 101 in the area around Haverstraw, right in Croton-on-Hudson. They've got club boats for use if you decide to join for a membership, but they do ASA 101... you would probably be better off on the 24s they use than on a larger boat for that course anyhow.

Just google Croton Sailing School, I was a skipper member there for a year of club boat sailing, and the instructors I ran into on the launch etc seemed fine, and it'll save you a bunch of time, and possibly a fair bit of money.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-11-2016

There's a new marina on the Brooklyn waterfront called One 15 Brooklyn Marina. They're just beginning operations and have some interesting programs you could check out on their website.

One°15 Brooklyn Marina ? Welcome to New York's Newest and Finest Marina

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm apprehensive about trying a brand-new school. On top of which, the drive is not less than 1 hour from my home.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

@CalebD , I wonder if you attended the New York Sailing Center as their web site says they use Beneteau 21 boats. After reading their website, it seems they operate an experienced and impressive learn to sail program. NY Community Sailing (SailNY) offers a basic keelboat course at the impressive price of $325 but it's unclear if that includes ASA 101 certification. And, yes, they are in Weehawken, NJ. I'll look closer at the two programs. True North, also in NJ, looks appealing price-wise as they seem to have ongoing $360 deals on Groupon and LivingSocial for their basic keelboat course.

I'm intrigued about crewing on a boat for Wednesday night racing (Sundays work for me too). As you know, there are several clubs along the Westchester coast and I'm unsure which ones might be most welcoming to a newbie looking to join a race crew. Any leads will be most appreciated.

Thanks
post #9 of 15 Old 07-11-2016
Tartan 27' owner

@hml999 , yes it was NY Sailing Center.
Bit if a pain to get to by public transportation but not too bad by car - NY summer traffic permitting...
I liked the program they ran almost 15 years ago so the staff has probably changed since then. The boats were nice double rudder affairs to sail and it is a pretty enough area without crazy currents like NY harbor can get with the East & Hudson rivers meeting the ocean.
I learned to sail on LI Sound so tides & currents have always been part of the equation for me.

I see that NY community sailing offers a basic keelboat course for $325, but doesn't specify the accreditation (USS/ASA). Frankly I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you can pilot a Soling 27 on the Hudson with all the traffic & current, you would be alright in my book.

Look for a PM from me about crewing opps.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml999 View Post
Thanks. I'm apprehensive about trying a brand-new school. On top of which, the drive is not less than 1 hour from my home.
Don't let distance keep you away. I flew half way around the world to take ASA101. I was in Germany and went to Texas for lessons.

Now that I have my own boat, I live 1.5hrs away from the boat and trying to fix it up.

Hope you find something that works for you and that you enjoy.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in