New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 11-28-2016

Re: New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
Ditto what Capta said. Take it slow.

One other thing: if you take your sail off for the winter, but leave the mast up, send up a line with some sail ties, or foam pieces, up the mast to keep the spindle from slapping inside the mast when it's windy. You can look that up for more details.
If you leave the mast up for the winter, you ought to consider the noise that your slot will create in a strong wind. There are techniques available to address this issue and that should take care of any internal slap. We live about 400' from a large ketch that is stored in the water with the sails removed and the moaning in a northerly wind is significant. We were told that this year there will be mitigation to control the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 11-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsnout View Post
......So I ask those with experience with this: is in-mast furling a good system for single-handing or not - considering furling, unfurling and reefing? Thanks.
It would depend on where the furling and outhaul lines and related winches are located. Generally, in-mast furling can be handled alone. Everything is always easier, with a competent helper. A buddy's boat requires him to go to the mast to unfurl his mainsail, which I would not enjoy doing alone, especially if the auto-pilot failed.

Having just read this thread, I would add that our in-mast is not happy going in or out on a port tack. This requires the sail to essentially make a turn around the slot to wrap on the furler, which is too much tension. A starboard tack causes the sail to cross the slot, unobstructed, which is quite easy. Finally, when our sail is fully loaded, there is no amount of wraps that will allow us to further trim the outhaul. We must luff the sail to do it.

As a general rule, we come up on the wind to raise and furl the sail, with about 5-10 degs of starboard wind to take the above mentioned friction away.

Love the in-mast furler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-28-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsnout View Post
the seller asked me to assist by tailing the outhaul when putting the sail away which made me think "What! You told me you single-hand this boat all the time. Why do you need me?"
I make sure the outhaul is clear (run the working end before starting to furl) and then keep it under one foot. Shifting my weight from one foot to the other adjusts the outhaul friction.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #24 of 27 Old 11-30-2016

I am considering purchasing a Catalina 25 swing keel which has a behind the mast roller furling main similar to a CDI MR4/6. This system basically operates the same as a head sail furler. One thing that I am wondering about is that the sail is only "connected" to the mast at head and tack. Also, the sail is only connected to the boom at the clue. The mains that I have used were attached to the mast by guides or bolt ropes. Which, I believe distributed the load over the length of the mast. With the MR4 system, does it apply too much pressure to the top and bottom of mast vice loading the length of the mast? I may consider doing away with the roller furling main. I would need to purchase a new sail, any more expenses involved with converting back to traditional main? Thank you.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-30-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Lots of boats have the system you describe and it seems to work quite well for them. Try it and see how it works on that boat. It might take a performance hit, but you might be able to live with that.

My Dad owned a Coronado 26 in the 1970's. Jib furling systems were just starting to become popular then and Dad thought that it might work for a main sail. He was a creative fellow, and had a couple of friends make a mast-head fitting and a tack fitting. He sailed that boat, with that mast furling system, for years. It was the first mast-furling system I had ever seen.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-30-2016

Thank you Scotty for the information. I am looking forward to giving it a try. My wife and I are retired allowing us to set sail with our only time constraints being those imposed by mother nature (weather). My wife is a professional relaxer (she is very beautiful at it), so anything that can ease my single handed sailing will probably be more beneficial than optimal performance. Of course she can man the tiller while I reef the main or tend to other duties. Thank you.
post #27 of 27 Old 12-01-2016
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
If you leave the mast up for the winter, you ought to consider the noise that your slot will create in a strong wind. There are techniques available to address this issue and that should take care of any internal slap. We live about 400' from a large ketch that is stored in the water with the sails removed and the moaning in a northerly wind is significant. We were told that this year there will be mitigation to control the noise.
It is easy to stop the moan. We have a 'flute stopper' which is a piece of sail cloth about 4 inches wide with large plastic buttons about every 30 inches. It is hoisted inside the slot (buttons out) with a flag halyard or even the main halyard. The main predictor of the moan is the wind direction. Winds from a stern quarter do it. When we bought our boat it had a flute stopper that had never been used - the PO kept the boat on a mooring so the wind never came from the wrong direction.
fallard likes this.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in