New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-28-2016 Thread Starter

New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

Having never had in mast furling I though for my second post here I would ask a couple of questions regarding the operation of the furling system, this topic has undoubtedly been covered numerous times and I have looked and while previous posts have touched on the subject I did not find the specific answers.

Question #1 - Is reefing the main as simple as furling a portion of the sail back into the main?, after which putting some tension on the out haul and securing the furling lines. I don't recollect seeing any specific reef points marked on the boom when I was on the boat we are in the process of purchasing, which leads me to believe that reducing the main sail area is done by feel, at least until one becomes more familiar with the relationship between wind speed and main sail area.

Question #2 - Removing the main sail for winter storage? is this accomplished by simply unfurling the main, remove a clevis from the tack, pull the sail down and out of the track, remove the clevis from the head of the sail, fold nicely and store for winter or send to sail loft for inspection and any repairs which may be recommended?

Last edited by DayDreamer41; 08-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-28-2016
Master Mariner

Re: New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

In mast furling equals infinite reefing; reef as little or as much as suits the conditions.
There is a learning curve w/inmast furling. Go slow until you get used to your system and don't force things. NEVER force things. If the sail gets hung up going in our out, STOP and reverse. Then go on slowly with what you were trying to do. An older baggy sail will be harder to furl/unfurl than a crisp new one, so take that into account and be patient.
As for removing the sail, roll it all the way out, then loose the halyard and it should slide down, just like a roller furling jib. You should have a foil in the mast quite similar to what the headsails use.
Good luck and I hope you come to love your inmast furling as much as we do ours. It's almost like having a jib instead of a boom sail. You can get a lovely shape by using the outhaul, sheet and a vang to the jib track.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
DayDreamer41 (08-29-2016)
post #3 of 27 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks Capta, the reefing method is what I was thinking but thanks for validating that thought and thanks for the advice on moving slowly and never forcing, we have been on the boat once, will be closing on it September 1st, the current owner reiterated the same instruction, head to 5* port into the wind when furling in the main, that way it stays in line with the furling rig slot and take your time. He stated if you don't do that, you will have issues, seemed easy enough.

Would the head sail work the same way? roll out as much as you want? as long as one secured the furling line.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-29-2016
Master Mariner

I didn't mention that we'll put the sail up (pull it out) on any point of sail. Just last week we kept the boom amidships and did it dead down wind! Dropping it we can furl as far out as a broad reach, though usually we do it on a beam reach with the sheet eased. Reefing we can do on any point of sail, even a run.
However, I don't recommend your trying that until you are well and truly comfortable with your system, and know all it's quirks. We've been sailing this rig for 6 years now, in winds normally 18 to 25 knots and occasionally to 40, so we are pretty familiar with our set up. It is a real blessing though, not to care what point of sail we are on, when we wish to shorten sail or even furl or unfurl it.
Good luck. I'm sure if you take it easy, you'll also be a fan of 'infinite reefing'.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks again Capta, that a beautiful example of a Pearson Center Cockpit yawl. I bet she handles wonderfully in all seas.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-29-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreamer41 View Post
Thanks again Capta, that a beautiful example of a Pearson Center Cockpit yawl. I bet she handles wonderfully in all seas.
She probably handles better than you think, being a ketch, y'all. lol

post #7 of 27 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

LOL, hard to tell if the mizzen is in front or behind the rudder, but I like your play on words, well crafted.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-29-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Ditto what Capta said. Take it slow.

One other thing: if you take your sail off for the winter, but leave the mast up, send up a line with some sail ties, or foam pieces, up the mast to keep the spindle from slapping inside the mast when it's windy. You can look that up for more details.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-29-2016

are you guys luffing your main before you reef?
post #10 of 27 Old 08-29-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSea View Post
are you guys luffing your main before you reef?
Luffing yes, by easing the sheet, not by coming up into the wind. Pretty much the only time we change course to furl or unfurl the main is when the wind has it against the rig, as in on a run or very broad reach.
We don't get to do a lot of running in the Windwards, so it's sort of a moot point for us.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in