What kind of sailboat is best to learn on. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter

I agree with, I think, all posts made so far, I am surprised at the relative lack of racer input.

A great number of sailors learn to sail quite effectively, on cat boats such as the Optimist, Mirror and Lazer 1.

I have also noticed few have mentioned beach cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 10-02-2016

Re: What kind of sailboat is best to learn on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I agree with, I think, all posts made so far, I am surprised at the relative lack of racer input.

A great number of sailors learn to sail quite effectively, on cat boats such as the Optimist, Mirror and Lazer 1.

I have also noticed few have mentioned beach cats.
There are not a lot of active racers here on SN..

Beach cats can be very tough to tack - but maybe more so if you're already a keelboat sailor.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #13 of 23 Old 10-03-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:

I learned on a 420. I raced for six years before even being exposed to the concept of cruising or daysailing.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

I live, when on land, on the 18th floor overlooking a sailing club, Coconut Grove Sailing Club | A Membership Club on Miami's Waterfront, which gives me a marvelous overview of people sailing. The Club has 150+ cruisers, a youth sailing program and an adult learning program. The 7-8 year-olds in their optis are vastly better sailors than the majority of the cruiser owners! The adults first learn in sunfish and then 22 ft open keel-boats.

However, there are two elements...technical sailing and seamanship...first learn to sail in small dinghies and open keel-boats and then go out and learn to get bigger boats from A to B safely which is seamanship. A to B can be to the next marina of from Panama to New Zealand.

Our small grandsons will learn to sail in Optis, racing from their father in a 27 ft boat with a tiller and seamanship from their Grandmother who has 40,000 blue-water-miles.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown.jpeg  
post #15 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

From teaching our kids and others - and watching the results as most of them are now adults, I would say - the smallest sailboat that is big enough to be stress free for someone first experiencing sailing a boat, alone..

So this ideal boat would have to increase for the size of the learner. But the best boat (in my experience), would be small enough to feel the sailing forces; you're a part of the motion and forces of the wind and water in a small enough boat.

It's easy to learn how to sail. Anybody can do it. If you want someone to become passionate about sailing, that's harder to teach, or give, if that's even possible at all.

Of the kids I've seen that learned how to sail, they don't all get the passion. You can almost look back in time and see the ones that acquired a passion for sailing very early after they sailed a small boat. These kids are easy to pick out on the water by how they and the boat seem to be connected.

Sailing is pretty simple with kids. It's more complicated for adults.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
In a Sabot as soon as you're tall enough to see over the gunwale.
Optimist Prams down here. The kids love their "Optis", and wear them like clothing ;-)
jephotog likes this.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

I learned... first hands on experiences in sailing school... on a Soling. Responsive and good to learn on.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-03-2016 Thread Starter

Ha ha, good post about the 7 or 8 year old Optimist sailors being better than many cruising boat sailors.

The reality is, optimists don't have engines or oars, so the only way to get them from point A to point B is to sail them, regardless of how many narrow congested channels you need to sail upwind through to reach B.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

Quote:
...I have also noticed few have mentioned beach cats.
I learned to sail Sunfish at Boy Scout camp. I didn't sail again until after college when I bought a Hobie 16 and tried sailing at the beach, through the surf. I got spanked hard and often. I don't remember learning anything except how expensive boat parts are.

Last edited by jwing; 10-03-2016 at 06:42 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Optimist Prams down here. The kids love their "Optis", and wear them like clothing ;-)
I could not tell the difference between them as I learned to sail in my 20s. I only see the Sabots advertised around here.

The image I have when asked what to learn in was from Southern Yacht Club when I lived near you. I saw kids barely able to see of the side of their boat. All the boats had inflatable rubber bumpers around the boat and the kids were playing a combination game of racing and bumper boats. It was great to watch. So Optis gets my vote also.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in