Learning Opportunity in Chicago - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2017 Thread Starter

Learning Opportunity in Chicago

Hi all!

Not sure if this is the appropriate area of the forum for this, but wondering if anyone in the Chicago area is looking for or open to having a law student who can't afford his own boat aboard to learn how to sail. I've posted before on best methods to learn as it has been a long dream/ambition of mine to sail. Several folks recommended that I find someone who is experienced that is either looking for someone to help out on board or just wouldn't mind showing me the ropes (metaphorically and literally).

I'm available most week nights and weekends (as I have a summer clerkship during the weekdays). I've been doing some reading over the winter months and am continuing this summer. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to get out on the water and be able to put concept with practice.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Learning Opportunity in Chicago

No help in the Windy City, but might I suggest Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer. It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft, in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.
I would choose a crew member who had good understanding of the information available in that book over one who had done several of the ASA courses.
tag_wolverine likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
No help in the Windy City, but might I suggest Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer. It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft, in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.

I would choose a crew member who had good understanding of the information available in that book over one who had done several of the ASA courses.

Thank you capta! I will definitely check that out. That sounds like a great resource to get the foundational knowledge. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 Old 06-06-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

I'll mention again my suggestion of joining a low-cost sailing club. I searched and came up with Poor Man's Yacht Club in Chicago. $35 for a member with no boat. I get that you're a student, BTDT, but this seems like a good bang for your buck and the best way to get on lots of different boats and learn from different people.

Home - Poor Man's Yacht Club

There may be others.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I'll mention again my suggestion of joining a low-cost sailing club. I searched and came up with Poor Man's Yacht Club in Chicago. $35 for a member with no boat. I get that you're a student, BTDT, but this seems like a good bang for your buck and the best way to get on lots of different boats and learn from different people.

There may be others.

Thank you Donna_F! Sorry I must have missed this before. You're right, does sound like good value for not a lot of money. Right in my wheelhouse on the current budget. I appreciate the direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 06-06-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post

Home - Poor Man's Yacht Club

There may be others.
There are also several "meetup" groups in that area!

https://www.meetup.com/NorthWest-Sailing-Association/

(This is just one example)

Tartan 31
post #7 of 11 Old 06-15-2017

Quote:
Just curious, but which version of Royce's do you recommend? There is quite a few according to amazon.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-15-2017
Master Mariner

This is the only one I'm familiar with.
Attached Thumbnails
Royce's Sailing Illustrated sm.jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 11 Old 06-16-2017

Quote:
This is the only one I'm familiar with.
8th version? Thanks, I found one on amazon.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Fortunately the physics of sailing hasn't changed much over the centuries. From one sailing book to another I think it's more a change in approach rather than the actual science. I keep this link on my resource list that I hand out to students:

https://ww2.kqed.org/quest/2008/09/3...cs-of-sailing/

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in