Starting to get intimidated by sailing - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 62 Old 07-02-2017

Dock
Re: Starting to get intimidated by sailing

MichiganMike- what part of Michigan?

We just splashed our new-to-us O'Day 22 yesterday. For the next week or so, we're keeping her in a well at Lake Erie MetroPark. My schedule is chaos, but if we can connect, you are welcome to come play with us for an afternoon or evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 Old 07-02-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerChuck View Post

We just splashed our new-to-us O'Day 22 yesterday. For the next week or so, we're keeping her in a well at Lake Erie MetroPark. My schedule is chaos, but if we can connect, you are welcome to come play with us for an afternoon or evening.
Now THAT'S what it's all about.
post #53 of 62 Old 07-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganmike View Post
I have been doing beer can races for a year and a half. I joined a local sailing club, and have been shopping around for a 27-30 C/C or Cat 30. I am reading books and learning while racing. I took lessons last year. However, all of this knowledge and things to learn are starting to pile up and are getting frustrating. My goal is to be able to simply cruise with the family, but all of things to learn about single handing, bad weather, surveying my new boat, docking, etc...are making me think I may never leave the dock on my own boat. I'm 43, and I see videos of twentysomethings on 42 footers sailing the pacific and partying with ease...and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

is this normal for those new to sailing?
Yeah it's normal.

First, as others have said fear goes away with experience. That experience can be gained on a 22 or a 40 footer. It's making the mistakes and learning from them that matters.

On boat size start with some basic questions -- and be honest with yourself:
How big is the family?
Will you be overnighting, weekending or living aboard a week at a time on the boat? -- overnighting means a place to lay your head, weekending means you need a decent galley, a week at a time and storage becomes more important...
How old are the kids? -- 10 year old boys and teenage daughters have very different ideas of "acceptable" accommodations
What kind of sailing will you really do? -- I'm a bay sailor (Barnegat and occasionally Chesapeake). No crossing oceans or bouncing around Pacific isles for me. So my boat needs are much different from someone who wants to do those things.
What's the right boat for today not someday? -- Buy a boat for how you intend to sail now. If crossing the Atlantic is a dream for when you retire wait until retirement to buy the battle wagon.
What's the budget?
Can you re-sell it if your tastes change?

Our long term plan was to start with a daysailer, learn and move up. By getting a Catalina 22 in good shape we were able to sail it for a couple of years, do a few upgrades and sell it for about what we had in it.

Our second boat was a Catalina 30. We had the same idea, it's a popular boat, sail it for a few years then look for something in the 36-38 foot range.

That was in 2008. After living with the boat we discovered the Catalina 30 suits us well and haven't found the need to go bigger. It's not the perfect boat -- it's the right boat for us right now.

Take your time and you'll figure out the right boat for you. The advantage of popular production models like the Catalina 30/32/34/36 (and similar French boats) is they are easy to resell if your tastes change with experience.

And remember to enjoy the experience - you're buying a damn boat !

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 07-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.

post #54 of 62 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerChuck View Post

I'm in Grosse Pointe, just northeast of Detroit. Thanks for the invite--let me know when you're available, and we'll work something out!
post #55 of 62 Old 07-07-2017

Dock

Quote:
I'm in Grosse Pointe, just northeast of Detroit. Thanks for the invite--let me know when you're available, and we'll work something out!
Private mail sent.
post #56 of 62 Old 07-08-2017

Quote:
I have been doing beer can races for a year and a half. I joined a local sailing club, and have been shopping around for a 27-30 C/C or Cat 30. I am reading books and learning while racing. I took lessons last year. However, all of this knowledge and things to learn are starting to pile up and are getting frustrating. My goal is to be able to simply cruise with the family, but all of things to learn about single handing, bad weather, surveying my new boat, docking, etc...are making me think I may never leave the dock on my own boat. I'm 43, and I see videos of twentysomethings on 42 footers sailing the pacific and partying with ease...and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Relax, have fun...Just bought my first boat this year, a small 20'er, and let me tell you it is eye opening, do what they're telling you, one small step at a time...age? Just a number, I'm 60...lol Have fun Skipper....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Minnesail and Michiganmike like this.
post #57 of 62 Old 07-12-2017

Michiganmike if you want to take the drive up north (Cheboygan) I will take you out on a bigger boat 38'

Bob
post #58 of 62 Old 08-03-2017

Quote:

Yes, it is normal. That confident 20+ year old on the 42 footer could have started when he was 6 years old in an Optimist, Laser, Hobie... before he went on to bigger boats. It is easier to learn when you are younger and can go more often sailing alone in a small dinghy on a small lake near home. Practice makes perfect.

43 is just fine. Many sailors regretted that they left it too long and only started sailing after retirement when their body cannot cope with the physical demands of single handling. I am 73 and have been sailing for 35 years. I never have any regrets since I took up this wonderful past time. Welcome to the club!

Magnum 21, Laser, Hobie 16, Noelex 22, Kestrel 19, Laser, 470, Seahopper, Optimist, Sunfish...
blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 62 Old 08-03-2017

Wisdom comes with age and understandably many young don't know what they don't know so have a "go for it" attitude rightfully believing that they can... learn along the way. Others are much more conservative and spend years lining up ducks and bucks, doing books before they make a move. Many people have entangled lives which makes "indulging" in a boat a big reach,

I doubt I would have bought Shiva unless life circumstances hadn't conspired to make it possible... among the conspirators were:

I got a divorce and had no children to send to school
I lived in an apartment and was not tied to a huge mortgage
My "equity" was liquid at the time... savings and a small inheritance
Both parents had passed and so I didn't have to spend time caring for them
Had a best friend who was a brilliant guy and owned a sailboat
economy turned down and little new work was coming it... opportunity to do something else.
20 yrs in profession and license felt like something I could go back to if needed
No girlfriend with a career or a motherhood clock ticking.
books to learn from, classes accessible

I bought the boat and got into almost full immersion for perhaps 5 years as I extracted myself from dirt and work.
Bought Shiva.... 36' when I was 38 with no sailing experience whatsoever. Gotta great deal.

Probably I could deal with a boat up to the low 40s now... but not worth all the work. 36 seemed huge to me at the time... now feels fine...
oysterman23 likes this.
post #60 of 62 Old 08-17-2017
AP

I think and hope it's pretty normal because I definitely feel that way. Good luck and live the dream!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in