novice sailor /sail to Florida from Baltimore - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 03-30-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: novice sailor /sail to Florida from Baltimore

Inside till below Hatterass. Then maybe....just maybe outside hops. Going offshore....you’ll have plenty of time AFTER you have gaining experience and time learning your new boat .

Even an experienced sailor with a well founded Boat going around/ through Haataress is sling for trouble. One good North Easter comming up the coast from SC and it’s good night Irene.

Going offshore to Florida is like buying a 10 year old stock car , getting your learners permit, and taking it on the Daytona Track.

Do things safely and you have plenty of stories and time to sail offshore. Take a risk, no more posting on Sailnet for you
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 03-30-2018

Take it out on the bay sail 4 hrs by yourself then 8 hrs. then 12 hrs. single handed. If you survive that then down the bay to Norfolk. It is much more difficult to single hand down the waterway than offshore. I'd rather wait 5 days for good weather off shore than be were I would be after 5 days alone in the ditch. Stuck on a sand bar!

May you weather all storms
post #13 of 26 Old 03-31-2018

Something to consider.

Some people have said that when you get further south you can just duck out and sail in the ocean.

Conditions on a given day may be benign in the ocean but getting in and out of Atlantic inlets can be tricky, even dangerous depending on the wind and tide. And you won't have the benefit of local knowledge.

Something to seriously consider - there are some experienced delivery captains here on SailNet; you can also find them through the grapevine on the Chesapeake.

A delivery captain will have the sailing and navigational knowledge to get you there safely and they'll know how to deal with the things that break (and things will break).

Sailing with a professional delivery captain will also be an incredible learning experience, the right captain can impart a tremendous amount of knowledge just in the normal course of the day.

There's no shame in asking for help.
drew1711 likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #14 of 26 Old 03-31-2018

I'm not even sure I believe the OP is for real. If so and you must go now, get competent help.

If it can wait until fall, use the time to learn to sail the boat within the relative shelter of the Chesapeake, in all conditions. There is 100% probability of a gale between now and the end of October. If you can handle it, alone, great.

There's tons of folks on Sailnet that will help a budding sailor on the Bay. Heck, I will.

Going round Cape Hatteras at an unstable time of year with no experience is to invite tragedy.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Going round Cape Hatteras at an unstable time of year with no experience is to invite tragedy.
The key to going round Hatteras, we have done it four times, is to stay out of the Gulf Stream by keeping inshore on the red markers on the 10 fathom line. The markers keep you just outside the dangerous shoals. However, you need two days of reasonable winds, preferably from the west and a reliable engine. It works going both north and south. It is about 220nm's

However, not something to be attempted by a novice or in anything but perfect weather.

We are too big for the ICW so going south it's on the markers or 200nm off-shore out of the Gulf Stream...going north I would ride the stream in good weather.

Phil & Nell
drew1711, JimMcGee and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by Yorksailor; 03-31-2018 at 06:36 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-31-2018

[QUOTE]We are too big for the ICW so going south it's on the markers or 200nm off-shore out of the Gulf Stream...going north I would ride the stream in good weather.
[QUOTE]

You're not new sailors who've "taken a sailing course," and "sailed a few small boats."

Big difference here, really.
chef2sail and Yorksailor like this.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-01-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Has the OP disappeared?

Either way, there's some great advice in this thread. I agree with most everyone.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-01-2018 Thread Starter

Ok thanks everyone .I am going to start researching the ICW , any suggestions about where to look for the information needed for that journey ,
post #19 of 26 Old 04-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnd View Post
Ok thanks everyone .I am going to start researching the ICW , any suggestions about where to look for the information needed for that journey ,
Good to hear back from you. I can't speak from experience, but it appears there's lots out there to choose from:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.RxTUaOCijII
post #20 of 26 Old 04-02-2018

Location: On my boat, currently moving around the east coast US

Assuming your draft is under 6' and your height is under 65' I agree with MarkofSeaLife and others who suggest at least ICW until Beaufort North Carolina and then hops outside when the wind and weather are favorable. I've single handed the ICW and found no issues with it, though an autopilot is a great help. Do you have a chartplotter at the helm? If not I suggest at least a handheld chartplotter along the lines of the Garmin 78sc (or a laptop/tablet with appropriate software and GPS). Navigating while singlehanding can otherwise be challenging particularly around unfamiliar inlets (and worse in the dark with poor weather).

Jeff
Cruising on my CS36T

Last edited by reduc; 04-02-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in