How to rig mainsheet? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Re: How to rig mainsheet?

That is either a 'topping lift' or more likely, that boat is usually the main halyard being used to hold up the boom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Boy I hate topping lifts.
Sorry folks for my broken links to pictures that no longer exist. I kept my own server at work for over 20 years, got a new job, maintained the site for another year, and at $350 a year, it just wasn't worth it to me anymore.

Maybe I'll co-opt a server at work again and build another, hard to say.

Different subject, new C&C 32 has a topping lift, and I cranked down on the mainsheet and busted the block that allows one to adjust it. Not used to having that topping lift, (already ordered a boomkicker).

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #43 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Boy I hate topping lifts.
Different subject, new C&C 32 has a topping lift, and I cranked down on the mainsheet and busted the block that allows one to adjust it. Not used to having that topping lift, (already ordered a boomkicker).
Even with a solid vang, you should keep the topping lift in place as without a lift you cannot secure the boom by tightening the sheet when flaking and covering the main. Otherwise eventually you will lean against the loose boom and fall off the cabin top.

For the vessels I've owned I find I can ease the topping lift so it just slack when close hauled, and it never needs to be touched again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.

Certified...in several regards...

post #44 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

SF mainsheet goes on the aft end of the boom after sail is down. I typically drop first, move mainsheet, and flake after. Its harder to do that way, but means I don't have to deal with that roach killer in the way.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #45 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
naf

Ah of course, Jeff_H. Its just the main halyard being temporarily repurposed. Guess I don't think much about doing that when I just trailer it home.

Unrelated, but if anyone is interested in a beat-up 1970s 16' sailboat & trailer that I learned on, I got one for sale in NE Oklahoma.
"Cheaper than a sailing class" should be the advertisement ;-)
PhilCarlson likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in