Noob advice - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

Noob advice

New sailor, American 14-6, Went sailing (well maybe I shouldn't call it sailing) Sunday on the Spruce Run Reservoir, here in NJ. Was blowing a bit more than Sailflow predicted, maybe 12-15 with much higher gusts. Rigged the boat but did not bring up the sails and put it in the water from the trailer. (realized now should have reefed). Motored out onto the lake, pointed into the wind and tried to bring up the sails. Started with the mainsail and it was nuts. Very hard to raise. boom kept sticking in the track and the sail was flogging like crazy and spinning the boat. Got it up and tried to sail with just the main. Had to have the tiller all the way toward the sail to go straight. Was getting a little closer to shore than I like, so dropped the sail and motored to the center of the lake again, pointed into the wind. ( The people from the Hunterdon Sailing Club who were out in thier Force 5's and Sunfish were probably dying with laughter at this point). Brought the main up and the jib, but by then were close to the shore again, so decided to bag it. Short to tell, but that all probably took close to an hour. Other than scaring the crap out of my crew (19 year old son, with less experience than me) and amusing the other sailors, not a successful trip.

1. should I put it in the water with the sails up?

2. How do you launch in higher wind?

3. Any other advice and roasting gladly accepted

thanks

Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Noob advice

Advice from this ASA and US/Sailing instructor:
  • Learn to reef
  • launch with both sails furled
  • If you think about reefing, you should have done so already
  • put BOTH sails up to balance your boat
  • wear your PFD if the weather is snotty
  • Reef early and often
  • learn to reef
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2018
Nautidawg

No roasting needed
Dont' launch with sails up except in no wind to very light wind.
Motor out to somewhere where there is no potential for collision with an object or vessel, or buoys etc. Then turn head to wind and hoist main. This is if it catches you off guard. IF you KNOW there is high wind reef right when you launch. You can always let it out

post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2018
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

First off. Great JOB! It's freaking intimidating getting out there in alot of wind with little experience. Pat yourself on the back for that. *beer* *beer*

Your instincts for not raising the sails until you were "out there" were good. Heading to wind to raise the sails.. good job.

Definitely learn to reef. Practice in your driveway on the trailer once or twice. (No Wind)

I'm not sure how your boat is rigged, but think about keeping the top of the sails "open" which means that air will spill off in higher winds and keep the boat more upright. So, if you have jib cars, pull them back and on the main, put the traveler to windward, and use the sheet to trim.

With regard to steering, if your boat won't steer with just the main up, try easing the main, it may flog until you get a bit of boat speed, then slowly trim it in.

Most importantly, get back out there!!!

-C2
1987 Sabre 34 "Saoirse"
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2018

I am not sure what the official version is, but I very rarely raise dinghy sails on the water. I tend to do it on the beach or dock. Some dinghies can be pretty difficult to set sail on the water, but I am not personally familiar with an American 14-6. My Prindle 16s main sail is darn near impossible to get up on the water in any kind of wind. My Walker Bay is truly impossible to set sail on the water as it uses a sleeve that goes over the top of the mast. Many dinghies dont have topping lift so you are buried in your own sail and mast while trying to paddle out. Your dinghy happens to be equipped with an outboard, but most arent, most can be sailed away from the dock with a little bit of paddling.

Reefing is a good idea, you can do it at dock or on the beach before you head out.

I am not sure what the right answer is in your case, I am just making the observation that lots of dinghy sailors set sail at the dock where the whole situation is more, well, stable. Myself included.

Good call on packing it in before things got too dicey. Tipping with an outboard would suck.
JoCoSailor likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-31-2018

Great to hear more are taking up the sport.

Sounds like it was a good lesson in the value of reefing. You would have really been amazed, if the fully deflected rudder had stalled!

Anyway, any sail where the crew is returned unharmed is a good sail. Any sail where you can use the boat again is a great sail.

My best advice, however, is to never take inexperienced crew in conditions beyond your comfort zone. They can be easily turned off and not want to play, even after your skills increase.

All the best with the learning.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-31-2018
Learning the HARD way...

For those of us that are not familiar with one, this is an American 14.6;

http://americansail.com/products/boats/american-146

It reminds me of the O'day Sprite.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2018 Thread Starter

thanks to all for your kind advice

roland
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2018

NJ,

As long as you soiled your shorts, you're right where you need to be. Next time, you'll know. My family and I started sailing with absolutely no experience. First day, I had my 16 year old in tears, or so I hear. But each time we hauled the boat, on the way home, I'd ask the question "So . . . what did we learn today?" That was ten years, a few humourous stories, a layer or two of gelcoat, and three charters in the BVI, one in Florida. Make the mistakes, learn and laugh. Then get your sorry butt back out there!

Be sure to report back each time. And remember, we're not laughing WITH you . . . we're laughing AT you! All in fun!

Sail lots . . . learn more

Don
post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHippo View Post
New sailor, American 14-6, Went sailing (well maybe I shouldn't call it sailing) Sunday on the Spruce Run Reservoir, here in NJ. Was blowing a bit more than Sailflow predicted, maybe 12-15 with much higher gusts. Rigged the boat but did not bring up the sails and put it in the water from the trailer. (realized now should have reefed). Motored out onto the lake, pointed into the wind and tried to bring up the sails. Started with the mainsail and it was nuts. Very hard to raise. boom kept sticking in the track and the sail was flogging like crazy and spinning the boat. Got it up and tried to sail with just the main. Had to have the tiller all the way toward the sail to go straight. Was getting a little closer to shore than I like, so dropped the sail and motored to the center of the lake again, pointed into the wind. ( The people from the Hunterdon Sailing Club who were out in thier Force 5's and Sunfish were probably dying with laughter at this point). Brought the main up and the jib, but by then were close to the shore again, so decided to bag it. Short to tell, but that all probably took close to an hour. Other than scaring the crap out of my crew (19 year old son, with less experience than me) and amusing the other sailors, not a successful trip.

Roland
I'd hope that if you were in real trouble. That the folks in the sailing club would have been making every effort to come over and help! IF any were laughing it was most likely because they were remembering times they were having troubles....

I sail 18' Buccaneer I always raise my mail at the dock

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in