sailing past close hauled? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 85 Old 02-22-2019

Re: sailing past close hauled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
@JoCoSailor - my background is that I took sailing for two years on the town lake in O'day Sprites as a kid. My mom signed me up to get me out of the house, and to stay out of trouble. The instructor was a sixteen year old girl that used to bark instructions at us from a rowboat. "You're luffing" she'd yell. "You're ugly" we'd yell back. I was a pre-teenage kid, and there was no chance that my family would ever get a sailboat, so I failed the written (name this part of the boat, name this point of sail, name this manuver) and sailing portion of the course - two years in a row!

For the sailing portion of the assessment each student would be rowed out to a boat alone, have to rig it, and have to singlehand the boat off the mooring, around a mark, and back to the mooring, pick up the mooring and de-rig the boat. Tiller in one hand, mainsheet in the other, and jib sheet between your toes! We would start about two minuites apart (the time that it took to drop off one kid and row to the next boat), and we were supposed to sail in a line. But I was impatient, and failed for passing other boats. Also I came in too hot for the mooring pickup and had to go around again (fail). These were not ASA or US/Sailing sanctioned lessons. This was 1970 and it was just a teenager teaching pre-teens, like many sailing clubs do today.

Thirty five years later, I was trying to get to know my 14-year old step-son better, so I enrolled both of us in ASA lessons in Boston Harbor. My son liked it, but I found that I loved it. My work at the time (computer networking sales and training) had me traveling a lot, and my doctor had me wearing a halter monitor because he was concerned about my health. I found that as soon as we would drop the mooring painter, any thoughts or stress from work would simply fade away. My doctor looked at the report from the monitor and asked "What did you do at one-o'clock yesterday?" I told him that I was probably raising the sail on a CAL 33. He replied that he could see the physical activity, and after that my heart rate was textbook perfect. "Keep doing that" he said. My son stopped after 101, but I continued on through 103, 104, 105 and 106. This was in 2005-2006.

I bought a boat after a long search (documented in ancient posts SailNet) in 2010. I earned my OUPV and became an instructor in 2013.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out sailing with a friend in his O'day 192 on the Peace River for the past two days.
Fantastic story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 Old 02-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
@JoCoSailor - my background is that I took sailing for two years on the town lake in O'day Sprites as a kid. My mom signed me up to get me out of the house, and to stay out of trouble. The instructor was a sixteen year old girl that used to bark instructions at us from a rowboat. "You're luffing" she'd yell. "You're ugly" we'd yell back. I was a pre-teenage kid, and there was no chance that my family would ever get a sailboat, so I failed the written (name this part of the boat, name this point of sail, name this manuver) and sailing portion of the course - two years in a row!

For the sailing portion of the assessment each student would be rowed out to a boat alone, have to rig it, and have to singlehand the boat off the mooring, around a mark, and back to the mooring, pick up the mooring and de-rig the boat. Tiller in one hand, mainsheet in the other, and jib sheet between your toes! We would start about two minuites apart (the time that it took to drop off one kid and row to the next boat), and we were supposed to sail in a line. But I was impatient, and failed for passing other boats. Also I came in too hot for the mooring pickup and had to go around again (fail). These were not ASA or US/Sailing sanctioned lessons. This was 1970 and it was just a teenager teaching pre-teens, like many sailing clubs do today.

Thirty five years later, I was trying to get to know my 14-year old step-son better, so I enrolled both of us in ASA lessons in Boston Harbor. My son liked it, but I found that I loved it. My work at the time (computer networking sales and training) had me traveling a lot, and my doctor had me wearing a halter monitor because he was concerned about my health. I found that as soon as we would drop the mooring painter, any thoughts or stress from work would simply fade away. My doctor looked at the report from the monitor and asked "What did you do at one-o'clock yesterday?" I told him that I was probably raising the sail on a CAL 33. He replied that he could see the physical activity, and after that my heart rate was textbook perfect. "Keep doing that" he said. My son stopped after 101, but I continued on through 103, 104, 105 and 106. This was in 2005-2006.

I bought a boat after a long search (documented in ancient posts SailNet) in 2010. I earned my OUPV and became an instructor in 2013.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out sailing with a friend in his O'day 192 on the Peace River for the past two days.
eherlihy,

I have admit I was completely wrong, I had you pegged for a life-long sailor. I smile now at the similarities in our sailing paths.

I run the IT dept for a fast-growing company. The stress can be overwhelming. I could not sleep, I got to meet a cardiologist. I could never ever stop thinking about work…until I got on a sailboat.
I took lessons on a sunfish around 1995. After they were over did not step on a sailboat for 20 years. Then within 2 years had completed ASA 101, 103 & 104. Unfortunately for me, the similarities stop there. I'm still 1 year, 3 months, 1 week and a day away from having the time and being near enough a coast to truly pursue sailing

No worries about the delayed response it’s a sailing forum, not a business 😊.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #83 of 85 Old 02-22-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
No worries about the delayed response it’s a sailing forum, not a business 😊.
Thanks... I think participation in SailNet has become my proxy for submitting a weekly report

I guess that old habits are hard to break... or old dogs... whatever.
JoCoSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #84 of 85 Old 02-22-2019

I find that for some people looking at the problem in reverse is helpful.

When you think of it when going upwind there is only one optimal relationship between the sail and the wind.

So you can think of it as orienting the sail that ideal way then rotating the boat so it points in the direction you want to go.

What that means in practice that depending on how the sail is set you pick a direction that is optimal or you reset the sail.

If you look at this way a sail set relative to the wind in an optimal position will exert a force on the mast in a particular (vector) direction.

If you oversheet the sail the direction of the vector and the direction of the boat will require the boat to sail sideways which of course it will not do so it stalls.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #85 of 85 Old 03-01-2019

Re: sailing past close hulled?

Thank you for the information!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in