SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   sailing past close hauled? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/328394-sailing-past-close-hauled.html)

serpa4 02-15-2019 03:59 PM

sailing past close hauled?

Why can't you set your sails past close hulled to point more into the wind than 30 to 35? My assumption...too much wind resistance and you make no progress. 2 faster to fall off and go faster than if you sailed slower into the wind.

eherlihy 02-15-2019 04:20 PM

Re: sailing past close hulled?

I believe that the term that you are looking for is "close hauled"

The reason is that a fabric sail cannot create enough lift to propel the boat forward if it is pointing too close to the wind. You may be able to do this with a "wingsail," but not with a traditional sail. This should be taught this in ASA 101.

serpa4 02-15-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051583392)

The reason is that a fabric sail cannot create enough lift to propel the boat forward if it is pointing too close to the wind. You may be able to do this with a "wingsail," but not with a traditional sail. This should be taught this in ASA 101.

What is the point of your statement, "This should be taught this in ASA 101"?

If you could move the traveler to windward "well" past amidship the sail would not be pointed into the wind and stall.
What I'm asking is if the boat is at 30 to the wind and you are close hauled, the sail would also be at 30 degrees to the wind. If I point the boat higher to say 20 degrees to the wind, then put the traveler to windward even more than most boats allow, you would place your sail back to the 30 degrees while the boat is at 20 degrees to windward.

serpa4 02-15-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051583392)

[QUOTE=eherlihy;2051583392]

What is the point of your statement, "This should be taught this in ASA 101"?

If you could move the traveler to windward "well" past amidship the sail would not be pointed into the wind and stall.
What I'm asking is if the boat is at 30 to the wind and you are close hauled, the sail would also be at 30 degrees to the wind. If I point the boat higher to say 20 degrees to the wind, then put the traveler to windward even more than most boats allow, you would place your sail back to the 30 degrees while the boat is at 20 degrees to windward.

Capt Len 02-15-2019 06:18 PM

My Gawd, I think you have something there ,serpa4 This may revolutionize the art of sailing.

serpa4 02-15-2019 06:28 PM

Asked a simple question because I don't understand why and Google hasn't helped. Seems posting a sailing question in the learning to sail area doesn't help.
Guess the snobby sailing people still exist and haven't died off yet.
Have a good day.

RegisteredUser 02-15-2019 06:44 PM

Lots of stuff out there on physics of sailing

Ulladh 02-15-2019 06:53 PM

Sailing theory and sailing practice;

As the sail fabric moves closer to aligning with the wind direction the airfoil shape in the sail will collapse, theory in most application will place this depending on the boat at something between 0 degrees 45 degrees.

In practice play around with sailing close to wind direction and you may find a sweet spot for close hauled for your boat which may not be the same for other boats.

Play with more that the mainsail. The head sail and slot between head sail and mainsail will also influence that particular sweet spot for your boat.

ASA 101 is well worth the time and modest cost.

capta 02-15-2019 08:57 PM

Interestingly, I found that with the gene we can point significantly higher than with the Yankee.
Sadly, the Yankee is repaired and goes back on this week and the gene disappears again, hopefully not for as long this time.

jephotog 02-15-2019 10:10 PM

Maybe with a wide enough traveler you can sail directly into the wind, eliminate the whole "In Irons" thing.