Lowering the boom - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Lowering the boom

Not at the gooseneck, just easing the topping lift down. I could not do it because the bimini was in the way.

Back when you was sailing the boat without the bimini I donít recall having this problem. We put the bimini back up a while ago but since then there have been few days sailing with a full main. Motoring down the ICW, or reefed in the trades. The few times Iíve had the full main up I could not get good shape. The leech is always loose, fluttering. I guess I just assumed that the boat was set up correctly when we got it. Bad assumption.

Being bored yesterday I was poking around and noticed one of the 4 bimini arches was a bout 4Ē higher than the others, that is what limited the boom. So I lowered it, just backed out the setnscrew and brought it down. I hope itís enough. Hard to explain why this idea didnít dawn upon this bright light years sooner. Duuuh! Feeling kinda stupid.

Will see if I can try it out tomorrow heading to St Lucia. Hard to tell, wind forecasts are generally spot on +/- about 100%. Iím hopeful.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-31-2019

Re: Lowering the boom

Well, that was better than getting the dawning while reinstalling the sail after the alteration at the sailmakers.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter

So lowering the boom didnít do much. Here is a photo of the sail at about 15 knots, beating. This is the best shape I can get. I hear a lot and donít go very fast.

Is the sail cut wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
3A607ACC-FF00-4663-9F86-89A8EE70B058.jpeg   8549696D-9502-473E-8323-5F4F4270DE3F.jpeg  

post #4 of 17 Old 04-02-2019
Administrator

You probably need a mix of 1. more halyard tension, 2. more outhaul tension, 3. more vang tension, and/or 4. the traveler lowered to leeward so that the force is more vertical than it appears in the picture. Also battens top(1), 2, 3, and 4 probably could be a little stiffer. The sail itself does not appear blown out.

1) will tension the leech and luff.
2) will move the clue towards the end of the boom and flatten the lower middle of the sail taking some load off the battens and tension the leech a small amount by moving it further away from the head of the sail.
3) Vang tension will make the biggest difference since it will directly tension the leech and control twist. (adding leech telltales at each batter will give you a clew about whether the leech of the sail is stalled.
4) If you have a long enough traveler, dropping it to leeward will do the same thing as 3.

When you do 3 or 4, you may need to ease the topping lift a little more.

Jeff
PhilCarlson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 17 Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks a lot for that. Comments on when the photo was taken.

1. More halyard tension - there is no more ME to tension the halyard with. Winch on mast is a #30, 2 speed. I still have a foot or so of halyard at the top of the mast, luff is real tight.

2. More outhaul tension. I may have something to work with there. Just checked, I had about 10 inches of adjustment left. The adjustment, with sail down, was made very easily, very little tension.

3. Vang was bar tight when I took this photo.

4. Iíve no traveller. Just a lad eye on the aft coach roof (center cockpit).

1985 44í steel cutter, 40,000 pounds. Sails were new in 2006. If you look close you can see repair patches where squirrels got into it while stored in New Bern, NC 2 years ago. Itís a very heavy cloth.

Iíll try her out with more outhaul tension next trip, I hope. Sometimes too much wind to use full mainsail here in the Eastern Carib. Just me and the Wife, two ploinkers. Not very adventurous.

Your reply was very much appreciated. It helps to talk things out.
Attached Thumbnails
E1F11D72-41DB-49C9-836D-7DBE8F5F22EA.jpeg  

Last edited by hpeer; 04-02-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-02-2019

Slow boat? Less than 15 knots (no whitecaps)?

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 17 Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter

No doubt she is a slow boat. But I donít blame her, I blame the Captain.

About 15 knots. But the leech is always loose no matter the wind speed. Flapping in the breeze. The day or two before I was buddy boating with a Passport 42/43 and I was looking at the difference between his sail and ours and it was quite striking.

You gotta understand that I first sailed at 55, zero lessons, it was a 33í steel cutter I singlehanded up the coast of Nova Scotia. I travelled a lot since then, a lot of either narrow water stuff and a lot of heating. This is our second boat. So Iíve never really learned to sail, never sailed on anyone elseís boat, never had another sailor on our boat. Just the way out life has been working out. We get around but itís often not pretty.

This was the day before.
Attached Thumbnails
AD2BB67B-BE26-4EAB-A70F-BDD4C6A56191.jpeg   B9E1AEAE-4884-449C-8C32-1BC390410442.jpeg  

post #8 of 17 Old 04-02-2019

Can you rig a Cunningham? Would do the same as increasing halyard tension. Or sail with a reef in and more tension on the tack line.
In the absence of a traveler can you rig two mainsheets toward the back(aft) part of the sail. One anchored at each side of the boat or the house. You have the hardware for one. Just need itís twin and two new anchor points. This would serve the purpose of a traveler going upwind and vang only needed downwind. Or move one out to the rail. This would give more vertical downward force where you need it. On a prior boat used the tackle designated for use as a preventer temporarily directly below the boom end to bring it straight down went going upwind. Mainsail was stretched out and this helped some.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-2019

You mentioned twice that the leach flutters excessively but no one has suggested tightening the leach line.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-02-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Jeff,

1. More halyard tension - there is no more ME to tension the halyard with. Winch on mast is a #30, 2 speed. I still have a foot or so of halyard at the top of the mast, luff is real tight.

2. More outhaul tension. I may have something to work with there. Just checked, I had about 10 inches of adjustment left. The adjustment, with sail down, was made very easily, very little tension.

3. Vang was bar tight when I took this photo.

4. Iíve no traveller. Just a lad eye on the aft coach roof (center cockpit).
It helps to talk things out.
1) With regards to the halyard tension, you should be able to get more a couple ways. Make sure that the boat is up in the wind with the vang and mainsheet eased and then really honk on it. You should be able to get more tension but maybe not since the stretch in the halyard may be all that is causing the appearance of an ease. Plan 'B' might be to go old school put a handy billy (small tackle) on the halyard with a rolling hitch and then use a winch to trim the handy billy.

3) To increase vang tension, once the sail is fully up, and while the boat is head to wind really crank down on the mainsheet, that has more mechanical advantage than the vang. Then tension the vang as hard as you can. That should result in greater vang tension. Few cruising boat vangs can be tensioned under load without being led to winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Can you rig a Cunningham? Would do the same as increasing halyard tension. Or sail with a reef in and more tension on the tack line.
In the absence of a traveler can you rig two mainsheets toward the back(aft) part of the sail. One anchored at each side of the boat or the house. You have the hardware for one. Just need itís twin and two new anchor points. This would serve the purpose of a traveler going upwind and vang only needed downwind. Or move one out to the rail. This would give more vertical downward force where you need it. On a prior boat used the tackle designated for use as a preventer temporarily directly below the boom end to bring it straight down went going upwind. Mainsail was stretched out and this helped some.
A cunningham is the opposite of what is needed. A Cunningham does not do the same thing as tightening the halyard. The Cunningham only tensions the luff of the sail. Because of that, when a Cunningham is used, the leech is relatively loose compared to the luff. The main halyard tightens both the leech and the luff at the same time. Since there are small scallops in the luff, I figured that both could use more tension.

Once the main halyard is tensioned, the handy-billy can be taken to the leeward rail and used to tension the leech by pulling against the mainsheet to create a downward vector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
You mentioned twice that the leach flutters excessively but no one has suggested tightening the leach line.
The sail has a pretty nice flying shape. Tightening the leech line will cup the trailing edge of the sail between the battens- increasing heel and weather helm. That said, its an older sail and if all else fails, then a small amount of leech line might help.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in