SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Which Boat? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/329336-boat.html)

Markon87 04-22-2019 10:54 PM

Which Boat?

Hello everyone, I am in the market to get a boat and sail the gulf coast of Florida and maybe try to hit up the Bahamas. Right now I am looking at two boats, one is a 1970 35ft Morgan with a rebuilt engine. The other one is a 1974 Allied Chance 30-30. I like both of the boats and they are in the same price range. Was wondering which one you would pick for cruising and living aboard for several months. Any input would be helpful. THank you

paulk 04-24-2019 02:30 PM

Re: Which Boat?

For living aboard for several months, the Morgan looks like a much more comfortable choice. There's a hanging locker, the head is nicer (has its own door that doesn't cut off the forward cabin) and the dinette setup is much bigger. It probably offers more stowage beneath the dinette seats, though fuel and water tanks are likely in there too. Tankage for the two are similar, which means that they will take up a bigger percentage of the space on the smaller boat. The Morgan's galley appears to be spread P&S, not cramped all to one side, and it has a bigger stove & oven.

The two boats are quite different underwater and in their rigs as well. The Morgan's keel/CB allows for better gunkholing, with about a foot less draft than the Chance. The Chance's raked fin keel gives away her aspirations for 70's silverware. The extreme rake makes damage to the hull by grounding potentially worse, because the lever arm of the keel's leading edge is longer. Most modern keels don't rake like that any more. The Chance's rig is also oriented towards the then more popular IOR rule with a tiny main and huge genoa. Roller-furlers have helped to make big headsails more manageable, but sometimes a smaller jib provides better balance than a big one, and partially rolled sails are...partially unperforming. The Morgan's sailplan appears more balanced, and fits well with the keel/cb configuration. It is likely more seakindly because its ballast isn't as far down. The drawings I found didn't show much of the hull shape of either boat, but it looks like the Chance has a fine bow and a small transom, which often makes IOR boats squirrelly downwind. The skeg-hung rudder might help maintain control under those conditions, but... maybe not. Morgan 35's were built with Atomic - 4 engines. If this one has been rebuilt, it could last several more years. It it has a diesel, so much the better. For what you're looking to do, the Morgan seems to hit the most buttons.

rwatmanarci 07-10-2019 02:16 PM

1970 35ft Morgan as I have heard good one and comfortable as well.

Isaac 07-20-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markon87 (Post 2051597632)
Hello everyone, I am in the market to get a boat and sail the gulf coast of Florida and maybe try to hit up the Bahamas. Right now I am looking at two boats, one is a 1970 35ft Morgan with a rebuilt engine. The other one is a 1974 Allied Chance 30-30. I like both of the boats and they are in the same price range. Was wondering which one you would pick for cruising and living aboard for several months. Any input would be helpful. THank you

I would choose 1974 All-Union Chance 30-30

gulfsail 07-20-2019 09:46 PM

Hey, OP, Did you get a boat?

Which one?