Sailboat Recommendation for Novice/Intermediate 2 Adults Lake Sailing - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By einstem

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Sailboat Recommendation for Novice/Intermediate 2 Adults Lake Sailing

Hey there.. I’m new here and this is my first post. I hope to get some advice on purchasing a sailboat.
And hope this is the "correct forum". If not, please let me know what forum to post to and I will "repost".

Here is the info:
• We live on a condo on a smallish lake in the Berkshires of Mass (its about 500 Acres).
• We have access to a dock, so it will be hitched to the dock and floating during the warm months, so we don't need to worry about "launching" or "trailering" it. It will just be tied-up (moored?) to a dock for the season.
• We plan to have it delivered/removed and stored by a local marina for us each season, so don't need to worry about it being "car toppable" or a "Trailer".
• We are in our mid-50s, and although we are fit, I would prefer something with enough room that we can "sit in" without having to duck the boom or scramble across the deck, so that eliminates anything too small or with a flat deck such as a catamaran.
• I will be sailing it by myself probably 50% of the time, my wife will probably join me another 25% of the time, and our kids (and their kids) will be up and visit and want to take it out another 25% of the time.
• So, I want something that I can sail "singlehanded" by myself, but also has enough room for two full-sized adults or two adults and a kid or two (maybe sail it without the Jib so they can sit in front?).
• I want something quick/simple to rig and easy to break-down and just leave "floating" and tied to the dock. If I get the urge to sail, I don't want to have to spend 45 minutes rigging it up and then another 45 minutes breaking it down.
• I sailed a bit when I was younger (primarily smaller boats such as Sunfish, Sailfish, and Hoby Cats), but I also have been sailing with an Uncle on a much larger boat (30 foot Capt Dory?) so I know the "basics", but am definitely still a "novice".
• Now that I am located on a lake, I want to get back into sailing and will maybe want something with the option of a Mainsail and an "optional" Jib (which will also give the second person something to do).
• I want something that will be "fun" to sail (no slow "tubs") but isn't crazy/tricky to sail, and would be unlikely to Turtle unless I really push things.
• I want something that if it turtles, won't "full turtle" (floats on the mast) and can be easily righted by one person
• I want something I can "learn and grow with". Can start "simple" and then add more sails/complexity as I gain skills.
• Would be fine to get something "used" but will get "new" if I need to. Would like to spend in the $3K to $5K range, but maybe would go a bit "higher" for the "right boat".
Here are some of the boats I have been looking at online, but I am open to any/all suggestions as well as any comments/experience on these boats:
• RS Sailing's Neo, Zest, and Quest boats. The Neo and Zest may fit the bill, although may be a bit "tight" on space. The "Quest" looks bigger, but may actually be a bit too big and expensive for me and not sure if it is something I can 'single-hand' and have fun with by myself on a windy day. And would worry about turtling a boat that size and righting it by myself.
• Catalina Expo 12.5 (although I believe only has a mainsail with no option for a jib and may be a bit too small for two adults?) and the Catalina Capri 14.2 (but that looks like it may get pricey and not sure if it hits the "fun factor" for sailing by myself.. I want to go out and have some fun when I want to).

• Hartley 12 (this one looks pretty good all around, and looks like it has a "jib" package).

• Topper Topaz, Mango, and Argo (these all look very nice, but just read about these and still need to learn more about the differences between them.

Any other comments on any of the above, or any other suggestions/recommendations that would be a good "fit" for us?

Regards,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Sailboat Recommendation for Novice/Intermediate 2 Adults Lake Sailing

I don't know anything about those models, but wanted to say Welcome! I have a San Juan 21 as my first sailboat and novice sailor. It's pretty easy to set up, is fun to sail and has plenty of room for my family of 5.
I do know from having power boats that one can't have enough room aboard. Prior to the sailboat I had a 14' aluminum fishing boat and it got crowded with only 3 people. The San Juan is large enough to have the room, and I think it helps with the sailing experience to by making it handle gusts and chop far better than a sunfish.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I would highly recommend the Rhodes 19. I believe it fits the bill 100%
tempest likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Ranger 29

ditto on Rhodes 19, would be a great first boat, lots of cockpit room. If you want smaller, look at the 17' O'Day Daysailer.
post #5 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I like your initial list of boats, 500 acres is pretty small, especially when you figure it must have some shallows. I would keep it small, light and nimble. I notice you have some 12 footers on your list. That might be a bit cozy for two adults. Maybe something in the 14-15 foot range might be nice? Laser 2, CL 14?
post #6 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

I've owned and raced Rhodes 19 on and off for years, its a solid daysailer choice that is very available in MA, also available as a centerboard.

But the Boston Whaler Harpoon is the ideal daysailer, if you can find one

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...oon-5-2-a.html
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/harpoon-52

Certified...in several regards...
post #7 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

All,

Thanks for the replies.

I think a 19 foot boat would be a bit too big for our lake.. and maybe a bit "too much boat" for me to handle single-handed ?

I was thinking fo something more in the 14' to 17' range, that I could single-handle by myself or 2 adults, plus maybe a kid or two...

I also want something quick/easy to rig for when the weather looks good and I want to just head out quickly and sail..

Will definitely look into the Boston Whaler options.. and hopefully may be one I can find in my area "used"...

Thanks..

Michael
Arcb likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My wife and I purchased a Precision 15 (centerboard model) and couldn't be happier with it. It sounds like something that fits your bill.
post #9 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstem View Post

I think a 19 foot boat would be a bit too big for our lake..
Agreed. Probably much too big. Even a 17 footer might feel like a battleship on a lake that size.

Really, I thought your original list of modern dinghies was pretty good.

A small beach cat would certainly be fun too (Hobie Bravo, Wave, Topaz 14). But they don't meet your sit in criteria.
post #10 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I use to live on a 210 acre lake and found a West Wight Potter 15 to be about the perfect boat for my use.

Here's the specs:

Length Overall - 15’0"
Length at Waterline - 12’0"
Width - 5’6"
Draft: Keel Up - 7"
Draft: Keel Down - 3’0"
Main Sail - 72 sq. ft.
Jib - 26 sq. ft.
Keel Weight - 80 lbs
Boat Weight w/Keel - 475 lbs.
Trailer Weight - 350 lbs.
Cabin Height - 3' 9"
Number of Berths - 2
Mast Above Deck - 15’6"

It would take me about 20 minutes to launch from the trailer. I have also rigged my boat so that all lines can be operated from the cockpit, including a jib downhaul.

Just to give you an estimate on value for an older Potter. I would value my 1998 WWP15 with a trailer (with tongue extension for easy launch and recovery) with an electric motor at about $2700.

If I were buying a new, or newer, boat of this size, I would likely buy a Montgomery 15.

Jim

Last edited by JamesLD; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:57 PM.

Tags
lake , newbie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in