Question about ASA 101 Test - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-30-2020 Thread Starter
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Question about ASA 101 Test

I'm not new to sailing and in fact have been sailing for 45 years and have a masters certificate. Nevertheless, you can't charter in some if not all European countries without ASA certification. So, friends and I want to charter in Greece next year and now I have to get ASA certified. I have the ASA 101 book on the way. ASA also has four online quizzes which I took and only missed a couple of the questions in the four quizzes. The quizzes were pretty easy.

Here's my question. Are the online quizzes in the same format as the actual tests for certification? If you have never seen the quizzes, perhaps you can just tell me the format. In other words are tests multiple choice, essay, write in the answer, true or false, etc. or any variation of these? An ideal situation would be if anyone knows of tests, whether they be online or paper (mail or downloaded), so I can practice. And before you jump to any conclusions, I am not looking for someone to supply me with actual tests. Even if I was prone to cheat, which I am not, what would be the point? I can't see the ASA certification test being all that difficult if it is anything like the quizzes.

Thanks for your help.

Capt Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-30-2020

Re: Question about ASA 101 Test

The ASA 101 test is 100 multiple choice questions. Maybe 15-20 match the part indicated on a diagram with the name. Maybe 10 or so look at diagrams of vessels approaching each other select the stand on or give way vessel and then the rule that applies. Some safety and lateral ATON questions. Some basic sailing common sense questions.

If you have the book, read it, take the quizzes at the end of the chapters and you should do fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecaldwel For This Useful Post:
CaptTony (03-31-2020)
post #3 of 29 Old 03-30-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
I'm not new to sailing and in fact have been sailing for 45 years and have a masters certificate. Nevertheless, you can't charter in some if not all European countries without ASA certification.
Not true.

What IS required is an International Proficiency Certificate (IPC).

ASA, NauticED, and US/Sailing, the three sailing authorities in the US, offer some form of certification that is equivalent to the IPC/ICC. In each case you need to pass the equivalent courses, and then apply for an IPC. If you following the ASA curriculum, then that means that you need to pass ASA 101, 103 AND 104. If you are following the US/Sailing curriculum, then you need to pass Basic Keel Boat, Basic Cruising, and Bare Boat Cruising. Once you have completed these courses, then you send an extra ~$80, with a passport sized photo, and they will send you the IPC.
Here are details on each of the programs;
Rather than spend several weeks in classes, with ASA you have the ability to challenge a course at any level. With ASA, Starting in January of 2016, if you challenge at the ASA 104 level and pass, you will also have earned the 101 and 103 certifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
So, friends and I want to charter in Greece next year and now I have to get ASA certified. I have the ASA 101 book on the way. ASA also has four online quizzes which I took and only missed a couple of the questions in the four quizzes. The quizzes were pretty easy.

Here's my question. Are the online quizzes in the same format as the actual tests for certification? If you have never seen the quizzes, perhaps you can just tell me the format. In other words are tests multiple choice, essay, write in the answer, true or false, etc. or any variation of these? An ideal situation would be if anyone knows of tests, whether they be online or paper (mail or downloaded), so I can practice. And before you jump to any conclusions, I am not looking for someone to supply me with actual tests. Even if I was prone to cheat, which I am not, what would be the point? I can't see the ASA certification test being all that difficult if it is anything like the quizzes.
The final assessments for ASA 101, 103 and 104 are all multiple choice/matching. Here are what some of the test questions address:

101: Parts of the boat, parts of the sail, reference to the boat, reference to the wind, responsibilities, points of sail, rules of the road, legal requirements for vessels, sound signals, buoy meanings, and crew recovery

103: Parts of the boat, VHF use, safety, buoy meanings, (raster) chart symbols, weather and heavy weather sailing, navigation lights, rules of the road, waste handling and disposal, anchoring, towing, first-aid and knots.

104: traveling internationally, safety, provisioning, on board systems use, VHF use, what to do when things break, crew recovery, docking, anchoring and rafting, heavy weather sailing, navigation lights and sound signals, tides and currents, and navigation with a chart.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
CaptTony (03-31-2020), chef2sail (04-10-2020)

post #4 of 29 Old 03-30-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Adding to my above post; in each of the classes the instructor is assessing your ability to properly handle the boat. You must convince the instructor that you know how to perform the skills taught in each course in order to pass that course.

If you decide to challenge the ASA 104 course you will go out with an instructor aboard and s/he will ask you to perform all of the necessary system and safety checks, and review all of the required equipment (I give my students a checklist for this). You will then leave the dock, raise the sails, perform a MOB drill (retrieve a fender), drop the sails, anchor and then return to the dock (bow in) with the instructor acting as crew. You will need to do this to the instructor's satisfaction in order to successfully pass the ASA 104 challenge.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
CaptTony (03-31-2020)
post #5 of 29 Old 03-31-2020

I have no need or intention to charter. My only formal sailing instruction was a Colgate Learn to Sail program I took in City Island in 1985. And then a series of course at the NY Planetarium in coastal navigation, celestial navigation and meteorology.

I am not curious to see the "standards" ie the written or whatever test one needs to pass to qualify. Is there any way I can take these tests... or similar without paying fees or attending classes?

I certainly don't want to pay for courses or materials. I think about getting a driving license. The materials are free and I believe even sample tests. Of course to get a license you need to pass a driving test (free) and then pay afforable fees for the actual license processing.

ASA was begun apparently in the mid 80s and is for sure not a bad idea to qualify people who want to charter... day of term as there is no boating license analogous to a motor vehicle license. If there was... perhaps ASA would be eclipsed by state programs and become the equivalent to private driving schools... and anyone with a boating license could charter.

And then there are the USCG licenses which basically are granted to those who can demonstrate various levels of experience with no formal test (correct me if I am wrong) and pay a fee.

I presume a USCG license would qualify someone to charter? Or no????

If I understand the thrust of the ASA license... using this as a standard would essentially prevent someone such as me who has owned a 36' sailboat for 35 years and sailed 10's of thousands of miles offshore from chartering a boat. Is this true?

I am concerned about competence of boat operators and have no problem with licensing... even think it's a good idea.

Why does this hodgepodge exist? And can't something sensible be done about it?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #6 of 29 Old 03-31-2020
Learning the HARD way...

I can't find the reference (I believe that it is in the Affiliate Manual), but part of the reason that ASA and US/Sailing were created to prevent the US government from becoming involved in licensing of boating. They use PADI / NAUI for diving instruction as an example of a successful certification program that keeps the government from getting involved. Many of the governments in the Med. have decided to require licensing and, in order to accommodate tourists from other countries, will accept the IPC/ICC as an equivalent. Neither a state certificate of boater education, nor a USCG Mariner Credential (OUPV, 25 ton license, etc) will qualify one to charter in a foreign country.

In the time that I have been sailing I have seen some flagrant idiots on the water. As a result I have reversed my original opinion and now agree that licensing would be a good idea.
sailingfool likes this.

post #7 of 29 Old 03-31-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I can't find the reference (I believe that it is in the Affiliate Manual), but part of the reason that ASA and US/Sailing were created to prevent the US government from becoming involved in licensing of boating. They use PADI / NAUI for diving instruction as an example of a successful certification program that keeps the government from getting involved. Many of the governments in the Med. have decided to require licensing and, in order to accommodate tourists from other countries, will accept the IPC/ICC as an equivalent. Neither a state certificate of boater education, nor a USCG Mariner Credential (OUPV, 25 ton license, etc) will qualify one to charter in a foreign country.

In the time that I have been sailing I have seen some flagrant idiots on the water. As a result I have reversed my original opinion and now agree that licensing would be a good idea.
Interesting motivation to start boating schools - prevent the gov from licensing! WOW.

Europe DOES require a license, I believe, to operate a recreational boat.

The reason for licensing is safety... same as it is for motor vehicles. There is a learn to drive industry... like learn to sail industry.... but passing the learn to drive does not bestow any driving privileges. Those come from state governments as you know.

I realize libertarians in particular and the right in general want the government to stay out of everything. But it is my belief that in the interest of public safety a recreational boating license would save lives.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 29 Old 03-31-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Regarding "FREE" educational materials, here are two that I suggest that all my students download;
... and I supplement these with the scintillating discussion on SailNet

I believe that there is a LOT of GREAT information available to boaters and prospective boaters. The challenge is in finding and organizing the available information into cohesive, comprehend-able, chunks, and then practicing the boat handling skills necessary to safely operate a vessel.

post #9 of 29 Old 03-31-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
And then there are the USCG licenses which basically are granted to those who can demonstrate various levels of experience with no formal test (correct me if I am wrong) and pay a fee.
You are wrong. All of the CG licenses require passing written tests that are far more extensive and in-depth than those for ASA, USS, or the like. As well as providing documentation of substantial experience onboard.
SanderO likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 03-31-2020
Learning the HARD way...

OUPV requirements checklist is here (and it is much more than a test and a fee); https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...mc5_31_web.pdf

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in