I'd like to learn to Sail - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: I'd like to learn to Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasu Chari View Post
Thank you all. Appreciate all the input. I think I'll take a 101 course locally and then figure out how to either join a club to rent boats or buy a small one. Soon as the local schools re-open.
I think that is a good way to go. Find a club that rents boats as part of their program and has a decent fleet of small boats 25 feet or under as well as bigger boats. You might be able to buy a group of lessons as part of the join up. Also you will learn about club policies as part of your class.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I suggest that if you wish to learn that you take 101 & 103 and then look for sailing opportunities with the GoSailing website/app. Follow up with 104 six months later.
You can also find sailing opportunities through GoSailing with ZERO experience. Be upfront about the experience that you have when creating your profile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #13 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

I'm going to disagree with everyone and support your original plan of buying (or borrowing) a small dinghy and get out there. Go to small lakes and start sailing. With covid19, arranging a class or club will be a hassle. Small used boats can be had dirt cheap, or you can probably borrow one easily enough. You can put small ones on top of your car so you don't need a trailer.
danvon likes this.

post #14 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

Vasu, I'm reading a bit between the lines here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds to me like you have a fair amount of money to play, but normally don't have the time. With the virus you have the time now.

I agree with JohnBPrice, since your opportunity is right now.

Go watch some good youtube videos and get a beginners idea of what to do.

Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1465462570

It's an excellent book that I used to teach myself to sail my first dinghy two decades ago. It's not as daunting as it seems, as only the first 1/4 of the book will be necessary to helping you get on the water on a dinghy. The rest of the book is very useful, but will deal with larger boat skills.

Buy a local small dinghy and some decent safety gear. Something under 17' feet, even just a laser or something simple. I would suggest a decent wetsuit and PFD. You'll be amazed how tired you'll get after a few times of trying crazy things and flipping your boat. But you'll have fun, and learn incredibly fast.

Go enjoy your time now, and learn. I've read and heard multiple times over the years that "An hour spent learning on a dinghy is worth 8 hours on a large keelboat." and I believe it's true, especially with learning the basics.

Then, when the schools open up again, take the courses that have been recommended here. You'll have a big head start since you'll have dinghy sailing under your belt, and you'll actually have pursued your dream now, while you're able to.

Last edited by BoatWulf; 1 Week Ago at 02:44 PM.
post #15 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Weekend Sailor

Vasu,

Give Rick Van Loon a call at True North. He's based a few miles way at Liberty State Park in Jersey City.
Sure it's going to be a bit different this year, but he always seems to have a happy group.

/ed

https://sailtruenorth.com/
post #16 of 27 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasu Chari View Post
Will the skills learned on a 43' sailboat prepare me to be able to handle a smaller boat ?
Think there are some universal skills that will apply on pretty much any sailboat. Feel will be different, but a tack is a tack, a gybe is a gybe, reefing is reefing, man overboard recovery procedures don't really change too much.

If you plan to buy a 15-20 ft keel boat, you should learn some things on a bigger boat.

However, if you plan to sail a 15-20 ft dingy or beach cat, then you might be dealing with higher speeds and more work to keep them sailing well, so in that case you may want to take a dinghy specific course.

Dinghy courses scale up well.

Last edited by Arcb; 6 Days Ago at 05:08 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 6 Days Ago
Learning the HARD way...

While a tack is a tack, the commands, the order in which the commands are given, and the responses to those commands are critically important. Both crew and helms person mus be on the same page if unplanned swimming or injury are to be avoided.

"Ready About!"
"READY!" or "STANDBY!!"
"Hard-to-lee" or "Tacking" (I will accept either)
and then you have to know what to do in conjunction with these commands and responses.

When I teach I break tacking and gybing into ten separate steps and repeat them until the tack or gybe seems easy.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #18 of 27 Old 6 Days Ago

Its been quite a few years since I did my dinghy courses (30?) But I recall the same type of verbal communications being used. Exact same words I think.
post #19 of 27 Old 6 Days Ago

Not trying to be contrary....just my sense of humor. My crew and I get by with:

We're running out of lake
I see that--- holding---- ready?
Any time!!!!!
Going!

Or

They're going
Right behind them
Ready!
NOW!
Arcb likes this.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #20 of 27 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
"Hard-to-lee" or "Tacking" (I will accept either)
Would you accept "Helms-a-lee"? Cause that is what I was taught and now pass on to others.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in