I'd like to learn to Sail - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I'd like to learn to Sail

I would like to learn to sail. I've always wanted to but never had the time. Now I have free time.
I am thinking of doing the Bareboat Chartering class (ASA 101, 103, 104) - 7 days with Blue Water Sailing School in Ft Lauderdale, FL. The review seems encouraging.
I have a couple questions and I'm hoping someone here can help.

1. Is June a good time to sail in Florida ? i.e. Is there enough wind in June ? (I know it's the beginning of the hurricane season)
2. I doubt I will buy a larger cruising boat in the next few years, but I'm hoping I can get something in the 15-20' range and be able to trailer it to lakes, rivers (Hudson River), bays, etc. Will the skills learned on a 43' sailboat prepare me to be able to handle a smaller boat ?

Thanks, V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Aspiring Boat Bum

Re: I'd like to learn to Sail

Hi Vasu and welcome to the forum,

South Florida sailing in June could go either way. I have been trapped in port in June with 25-35 kt winds and 12-15' seas in the Gulf Stream and I have been out in June in a dead, flat calm. If you do get stuck with classes on a windless day you will still get to learn and practice boat handling and sailing skills IE how to hoist and adjust the sails, where and what all the ropes and lines are for, abd how to maneuver the boat under power.

Regarding small boat skills, they will absolutely carry over and can make you a better sailor on big boats. On a small boat anything you do, any sail adjustment, you can see and feel the results immediately since the boat is so small and light where on a big boat the results are much more subtle can be hard to sense.
Vasu Chari likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

As an instructor I am not a fan of programs that squeeze what should total ten days of instruction into a lot fewer. I feel you will get corresponding less learning. IMHO, programs like this are more a charter vacation with some learning on the side.

You would be much better off to take ASA 101 somewhere local, hopefully with a school with rental/seasonal boats that you can then practice with for a month or two. When you have developed some sailing expertise, buy your boat and take 103. When you have boat ownership and cruising experience, take 104 and buy your cruising boat.

Certified...in several regards...
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingfool For This Useful Post:
Vasu Chari (1 Week Ago)

post #4 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
As an instructor I am not a fan of programs that squeeze what should total ten days of instruction into a lot fewer. I feel you will get corresponding less learning. IMHO, programs like this are more a charter vacation with some learning on the side.

You would be much better off to take ASA 101 somewhere local, hopefully with a school with rental/seasonal boats that you can then practice with for a month or two. When you have developed some sailing expertise, buy your boat and take 103. When you have boat ownership and cruising experience, take 104 and buy your cruising boat.
Thank you. I truly appreciate this input. I wanted to just go buy a small boat and then learn myself but my wife doesn't want me to buy yet another toy before I was sure that I would use it regularly. But this would also have partly been a vacation for me. I'll need to wait for schools in the NorthEast to open up to be able to find a 101 course.

Thanks,V.
post #5 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Second instructor - seconding what @sailingfool said. One week learn-to-captain/FastTrack courses are NOT a good way to actually learn to sail.

I have no issue with a one week 101 & 103 combo, or a one week 103 & 104 combo, but 101, 103 & 104 in one week is a recipe for overconfidence.

I suggest that if you wish to learn that you take 101 & 103 and then look for sailing opportunities with the GoSailing website/app. Follow up with 104 six months later.

Why Florida? I have been trying to leave Florida for the past month. You mention the Hudson River. There are several sailing schools in NY, NJ, VT, CT, RI, MA and ME. See https://asa.com/find-sailing-school/...ools-by-state/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

[quote=eherlihy;2051675650]
Why Florida? I have been trying to leave Florida for the past month. You mention the Hudson River. There are several sailing schools in NY, NJ, VT, CT, RI, MA and ME.

I'm in NJ about 12 miles from NYC (GWB). Nothing is open here yet. Hence the idea of getting down to Florida. Plus, it was more the whole week long live on a boat experience thing.
Last time I sailed was 25 years ago with Outward Bound - a 30 ft wooden ketch - in the Keys. We spent a lot of time rowing the boat. I did enjoy being in a boat for a week though.
post #7 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

Sounds like you need to way your objectives. You are wanting sailing lessons. And you are wanting a vacation. Maybe the school would be willing to take a slower pace with 101 and 103 for the week and not do 104 yet as suggested by some above. Giving you more time to absorb and use the concepts of these 2 courses.

Another option would be something like Sailing Florida. They charter boats and operate a sailing school. You could charter a boat for the week and hire a captain/instructor for lessons. You could learn at whatever pace you are comfortable with and test for whatever certification you want starting with 101. You could stay on the boat without the instructor at the dock or have them stay with you anchored out (or any combination of). More choices and freedom learning and less "structured" for the sake of a certification.

I have chartered from them and the location is really nice in historic St. Petersburg and the company and staff have always been awesome and flexible with me.

https://sailingflorida.com/

Good Luck and welcome (back) to the best sport/activity in the world.

Foster
post #8 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

I will "ditto" Foster's comments about positive experiences with Sailing Florida in St Petersburg.
post #9 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago

Piggybacking on the professional instructor's recommendations: Why not take an ASA class locally then rent the small boats a number of times to reinforce what you learned then take a week-long 103-104 class either locally or in a vacation spot. I think the most beneficial method of learning is taking small bites so you can digest what you learned and also repetition and practice so you can reinforce what you've learned.

While all 3 classes are about sailing they concentrate on different aspects. From memory: 101 is about just sailing a small boat. 103 concentrates on a slightly larger boat with inboard engine and more complex systems. 104 is about navigation, weather and information needed for cruising.

If you take all 3 at once and start renting 35 foot boats and bigger you will miss out on the joy of sailing Capri22s.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thank you all. Appreciate all the input. I think I'll take a 101 course locally and then figure out how to either join a club to rent boats or buy a small one. Soon as the local schools re-open.
jephotog likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in