Sailing TV show - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 05-25-2015

Re: Sailing TV show

Do I really have to limit it to the top three?

We've done this crazy boat thing about three times. Top three: Storms, having enough knowledge, sinking.

But a good friend of ours told us: adventure is just inconvenience perceived correctly. Once we weathered our way through some obstacles it gave me the confidence to see that this was very doable. Now I wouldn't go back to land for the world. (I have a blog about our latest trip down at Mountains and Seashore)

All the best on your endeavor,

Camile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 05-25-2015

My fears? Water molecules loosing molecular adhesion, sailing over a giant methane bubble as it rises to the surface and a whale making violent love to our boat.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T View Post
Go South new Boaters, Afraid, of What?
Having taken sailing lessons on the Ohio River, then more lesson with Off Shore Sailing in Florida why should we be afraid? Why, we're ready. So, off we go and buy a catamaran, hire a captain for our first off shore sail out of Ft. Lauderdale to Norfolk. Great trip up the Gulf Stream. Ok, so we sail around the Chesapeake for the summer planning to go down the inner coastal waterway after a trip home for the Christmas Holidays and a hernia operation. Our summer seemed to be consumer repairing every system on the boat. Before heading home for the Christmas Holidays we find we top out at 68'9". So much for the ICW. Being novices we decided that sailing around Cape Hatteras in January was probably not in our best interest. We discussed having a captain move the boat south with or without us. Most of the captains we discussed this with said a trip in January could be tricky. Most figured 3 days if all went well. Having just had an operation, the cost of hiring a captain and related travel, fuel costs, our airline tickets to and from the boat, and the cost of fixing our AC/Heating (required by all potential captains) we decided to leave the boat in a marina.
Afraid of what, well let's see. There is all of the maintenance stuff that is not taught in sailing classes which must be learned on the run, the funds needed to keep our to be home afloat, having the right repair parts when needed, and recognizing we really aren't in control but must flow with the circumstances.
Oh yeah we will be back on the boat as soon as possible. Afraid, but going for it.
So you're newish sailors, bought an enormous boat without knowing what kind of shape it was in, and didn't research how much repair and maintenance costs would be for all the systems? Sounds like you put on a blind fold, put all your eggs into one huge basket, and said "F*ck it!" Haha. And now you're saying "D'oh!"

Even someone that has never seen a boat could tell you that large boats are harder to handle and cost much more to maintain than smaller boats.

post #24 of 26 Old 07-22-2015

Hi Jeff, I bought my first sailboat 6/29/15, Irwin 37 CC MKV. Travelled, by car,7k miles in about 2 weeks time to find her. Looked at about a dozen. She sits in NC and I, having left Telluride Co. sit in Boulder Co. fulfilling a previous work commitment.
I will return to NC end of Aug. and begin "long term cruising"(I'm told this is the new PC phrase). Planning to upgrade solar system, acquire spares and ASA training. I do have experience on MY's doing deliveries and I have 50t Merchant Marine.

"Fear is a waste of a good imagination" (unknown)

"You don't have to work it all out, don't have to tear it all apart, all you need to do is start" (Jimmy Buffett)

"You and your f:;&ing Jimmy Buffett attitude" (my ex wife)
post #25 of 26 Old 07-22-2015

"There I was, inverted, spinning, air medals hitting me in the face...."

Entertaining to see all the auditioning going on in here.

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 07-22-2015 at 07:11 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 07-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
"There I was, inverted, spinning, air medals hitting me in the face...."

Entertaining to see all the auditioning going on in here.
I think Jerry gets the part. A sequel to Captain Ron coming your way soon......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Tags
canadian , carribbean , television

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in