Sewing Machine onboard... Which one? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 79 Old 02-01-2016

Re: Sewing Machine onboard... Which one?

Here are some good prices on machine heads from Miami Industrial:

miamisewing.com/specials/zigzagsewingmachines.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 Old 02-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad28 View Post
Here are some good prices on machine heads from Miami Industrial:

miamisewing.com/specials/zigzagsewingmachines.htm
She needs to be able to fit the machine on her sailboat. Those machines require a table and motor, and I didn't see a walking foot among them.
post #53 of 79 Old 02-01-2016

Those industrial machines won't be lightweight but yes, several of them can go on a boat. The EAGLE is a walking foot 3-step zag, and a couple of the Durkopp-Adlers (265-305 ex.) are good candidates. These are quality machines, esp compared to the Taiwanese. For same/to not that much more money you're getting a far better machine.

a really nifty invention is the DC Servo Motor which will drive any of these machines, it's DC, and very programmable/easy to use. I have a Consew "Con Serve" that I am very pleased with

Nevertheless, you do NOT, repeat, NOT, need a walking foot to sew, and I promise you if you walk into lots of sailmaking/canvas houses you'll find plenty of drop feed machines. My sailmaker, f'rinstance, has three Pfaff 138s...

post #54 of 79 Old 02-01-2016

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. Reading her original post, I never got the impression she's looking for a table mounted $2,300.00 machine for her J37.
post #55 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

My "Long Arm" is a 1997 model, similar to SR-200, same owners manual. Machine is at warehouse at the moment so I can't measure. Throat might be 10" as a guess. Birch veneer box might be 21-22" overall and it is heavy.
post #56 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

Siamese, please note the $750 machines offered at that page. FYI you don't have to mount any machine in a table.

I'm sure that the OP (and others) might enjoy knowing that there are other options than Sailrite and its Taiwanese clones for the same price @ lesser quality. Is there a problem with offering alternatives?

Last edited by ad28; 02-02-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #57 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cande View Post
Hi, I just re-read your post that you use a Sailrite Long Arm... I didn't know they MADE a long arm. Since my original post several weeks ago, I've been researching potential machines. $2000 is way beyond my reach. A Standard Sailrite LSZ 1 or 2 Plus is within my price range. But there are many walking foot long arm machines at $800 and well below that. So many people responding to my post rave about the Sailrite. However, I would really like the greater flexibility of the 9" arm. I know, it's bigger and heavier, but it's so much more accommodating to thicker and bulkier materials. I still have not decided. I appreciate everyone's recommendations and comments. Any additional thoughts welcome!
Hi and good luck with your search.
I too have nothing bad to say about the Sailrite machines and the super website they publish. That said I didn't have the budget to buy their machine. I think that their pricing is understandable, but have also found that most (though not all) of the items they sell are not unique, and with some time and effort can be purchased else where for significantly less. And I too thought I'd like a deeper throat dimension.
After a long period of online searching I found a Chinese walking foot zig zag with a 9" throat that matches the published Sailrite sewing specs. I bought the below described machine
for less then the currently listed price, from John Caruso, the vender listed below. I found his advice and support to be excellent and the machine to be excellent. I have subsequently added a heavy fly/handwheel to increase the punching power and built a carrying case. I also hired a sewing machine tech for about $60. to teach me how to adjust and service the machine.
I have absolutely no complaints about the performance of this machine. The only thing it's been unable to sew is the head board of a large roller furling genoa that had about 8 layers of cloth and tape that I don't think can be sewed with a portable machine. Below is the body of a message from John Caruso with contact info, I have no connection with him or his company save that single purchase and the subsequent support contact:

Sew Strong, RE 607Z

For sewing medium to heavy weight fabrics. Canvas, nylon, vinyl, leather, synthetics, and similar materials
Main Uses; For sewing boat and truck covers, tents, awnings, sails, parachutes, tarpaulins, wet suits, leather, shoes, boots and similar products.

(16 1/2" x 7" MACHINE BED SIZE)

Work Space is Approximately 9 inches from Needle to Machine Arm.

•800 Stitches Per Minute (Max Speed)

•Walking foot dual-feed capability built-in

• Comes with foot pedal for immediate use with heavy duty motor

•Sews Heavy materials approximately 5/16" thick

•Upholsters furniture, tarps, tents, curtains, cushions, quilts, dresses and much more
•Great portability with handle accessory on top
•Recommend Organ Size 22 Needles system 135x17
•Recommend #69 bonded nylon/polyester thread for sewing on exterior weight upholstery fabrics.
•90 Day Manufacturers Warranty

Included;
Instruction Manual,
Screwdriver
Oiler with Oil
Commercial Thread Stand,
Variable Foot Speed Control
4 Extra Bobbins
10 Extra Needles

"Getting Stronger All The Time"

All machines are tested and shipped with a sewn Leather Sample.
And YES! the SEWSTRONG RE607Z is equipped with REVERSE FEED.

--

--
Regards,
John Caruso

Westchester Sewing Machine Co.
Nanuet, NY
Commercial Sewing Machines, Industrial Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines Industrial, Industrial Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines
(845) 627-8873 Phone
(845) 627-6949 Fax
post #58 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

Looks like just another case of an outfit slapping their label on a low-quality knock-off from the Taiwanese factory. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the internals. It's interesting that they extended the under arm space by 2". I wonder if they improved their poor quality control at the same time? The same quality control that made Sailrite find another factory?

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #59 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Looks like just another case of an outfit slapping their label on a low-quality knock-off from the Taiwanese factory. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the internals. It's interesting that they extended the under arm space by 2". I wonder if they improved their poor quality control at the same time? The same quality control that made Sailrite find another factory?
Here you go MarkSF, pictures below. I hope they're readable the site wouldn't allow a higher quality.
I looked at the Sailrite pictures of improvements and can't see any differences. I'm not an expert, they pretty much look alike.
I don't know that this outfit has poor quality control. What attracted me to this one rather then the dozen others I looked at was that the importer was a local dealer in commercial machines and stood behind this one.
I live in NYC where there is a huge sewing machine industry that dates back to the industrial revolution and I like the old timers (being one myself).
I expect the evolution of machines is a kind of continuum of copying and improving on the other guys stuff, which is exactly what the Sailrite history site describes.
Attached Thumbnails
sew bottom sm.JPG   sew front sm.JPG   sew top sm.JPG   sew tunnel sm.JPG  
post #60 of 79 Old 02-02-2016

Have you got the pictures in higher res form? It's very difficult to tell anything from a 28Kb file.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in