Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey? - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 695Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 478 Old 08-30-2016

Re: Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Wholeheartly agree schedules kill but there are gotta s as well.
Gotta get fuel.
Gotta get the watermaker, engine, head ...... to work.
Gotta get north of 40 by ........
Gotta get 200 m east to miss that depression.
You may be in manana land but there's no tomorrow on a boat if you neglect key things. They always bite you in the butt.
Rhapsody-NS27 and Arcb like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 478 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Oil pressure problem fixed! I put a heavier spring in the oil pressure regulator and I know have a healthy 35 psi reading at cruising speed. I still have not decided if I want (not should) head south. I have been cruising for 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it, but I am not any happier than before I left. The adventure is great and I thrive on it, however I do not know if destroying my 401k is worth pursuing this further at the moment
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #203 of 478 Old 08-31-2016
Old soul

Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Ah, if it's happiness you're looking for, well forget it. We are who we are. Cruising won't change that. As Yoda says in response to Luke's question, what will I find in there? "Only what you take with you."

Things, experiences, money ... research has shown none of these do much to change one's happiness level. There is a quick hit (either positive or negative) but then most of us return to our 'normal' state. Relationships, cognitive therapy, meditation and drugs have the most impacts on long term happiness levels.

I don't cruise to be happy. I cruise to be free(er).

P.S, congrats on the engine fix. I bet that felt good solving that one.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
jephotog likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #204 of 478 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Very true Mike, I completely agree with you on that
post #205 of 478 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Mike - And yes, the engine fix felt great! It was actually my second engine fix of the trip.

The engine started missing quite badly while I was in Canada, so I stopped at a little Marina where I was greeted by a 20 something beautiful blond college girl named Moira, who knew boats and boat parts surprisingly well. I told her I needed a cap, rotor, condenser, points, coil, spark plugs and plug wires.... and she came out of the back room 5 minutes later with all the parts I needed. I'm pretty sure I instantly fell in love with her at that moment. Anyways - the engine was running great again after I did the tune up, the contacts in the original cap were obliterated.
MikeOReilly and travlin-easy like this.
post #206 of 478 Old 08-31-2016
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
... I do not know if destroying my 401k is worth pursuing this further at the moment

This is probably heresy but you can always sell or better yet store the boat and fly down. I hear that there are boats already there.
MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #207 of 478 Old 08-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
Mike - And yes, the engine fix felt great! It was actually my second engine fix of the trip.

The engine started missing quite badly while I was in Canada, so I stopped at a little Marina where I was greeted by a 20 something beautiful blond college girl named Moira, who knew boats and boat parts surprisingly well. I told her I needed a cap, rotor, condenser, points, coil, spark plugs and plug wires.... and she came out of the back room 5 minutes later with all the parts I needed. I'm pretty sure I instantly fell in love with her at that moment. Anyways - the engine was running great again after I did the tune up, the contacts in the original cap were obliterated.
her

Can you tell us a bit more about Moira? Sick of hearing about fixing boats in paradise. Maybe you journeyed to the promised land?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #208 of 478 Old 08-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa View Post
Hey Capt, we are in Westbay Marina Village on the other side of the bay from there. A short water taxi to the Empress. Slip B8 if you care to stop in for beverages.

Right where you are referring to, in the big boat area, is sitting "Janice of Wyoming". WOW!! Google her up.

Mega Mega Yacht
Welcome to the area, I'm at Fisherman's Wharf. Hope you get some nice weather before the winter sets in (you will become an expert on dehumidifiers!)

I'm in a similar situation to the OP - 33, single and I've been living on my boat the last two years and plan to leave and try to circumnavigate the world next september. I did a 'test voyage' for a month around Vancouver Island and loved it (though that was with someone else, while I'll be going solo on the 'main' voyage)

My circumstances are a bit different from most cruisers, as I have no property on land and have no intention to go back to working at my old office job if I return.

The question is whether to wait another year on top of that, as that would roughly quadruple my budget. Realistically I should wait, but the prospect of two more years not going anywhere really doesn't sound great to me at all. Stuff happens.

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

post #209 of 478 Old 08-31-2016

Hi Justa, newcomers to Victoria should be aware of the surfers page 'bigwavedave' Has good local weather and webcams of Dallas Rd and Ogden Point set up so you can see if it's safe to leave your slip. Also a click to royalBCmuseum cam of the inner harbour. I often check to see if Thane is out. (3 hour sail) Thane's white topmast is visible over Wiennie World (Jim boy's hot dawg fine dinning on Ships Point) Also safety meetings .Hope to make it down from Nanaimo Sat to see the classic boat show .Many of us old farts have shown up for the last 40 yrs to lie and brag Thanks for the invite of social imbibing Look forward to meeting.
post #210 of 478 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter

Ah Moira.... unfortunately she said "No" when I asked her out for a drink. It was the only sad point to my trip thus far.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in