Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey? - Page 25 - SailNet Community
 683Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 460 Old 09-02-2016
Land lubber

Re: Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I thought I'd found a forum that was different from the last one and discussed sailing, it turns out I've just found another my yacht is bigger than your yacht forum, ah well, the search continues.
Alas, no yacht for me yet. I sold our MacGregor 25 last year. My wife and I are scrimping, saving, and working 60-70 hours per week in order to achieve our goals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 460 Old 09-02-2016

J got it right
Right partner is key. +1 on that.
Being content to being alone is also critical. Most failures I've seen are due to that in one shape or another. Those who need constant entertainment have trouble. Even with the right partner due to vagaries of life you will be alone at times with no internet or other distractions. Unsafe to snorkel alone. Many maintenance chores are so,much easier with two.
Unfortunately the elephant in the room is money. No way around it. Not so much about the boat but the ability to get yacht management and jump on an airplane or not think about communication expenses or tourist expenses and fees. No fun being someplace wonderful and not be able to wander about partaking of what that place has to offer due to expense. Difference between doing Europe in youth hostels with a eurrail pass and the grand tour. Nice to do the grand tour once in awhile.

Spending today doing paperwork prep/reservations/ registrations for passage south. It gets old fast and the hassle of dealing with detail Devils is another reason people,fatigue out of cruising and just stay in home waters.
RTB likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #243 of 460 Old 09-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
@Jwing, I really enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing!

I am still out cruising, going on 11 days now and it is really a great experience and I am loving it. I am about to call work and request a third week off. Oddly though, I've decided to not quit my job and head to the keys/Carribean. I suppose the only reason is that I'm not finding exceptional happiness doing this, despite loving it. I've encountered lots of mechanical problems
Glad to hear you are still out there and also have a job to go back to.

I am assuming you have discovered the Moyer Marine forum to keep your A4 running. Keeping an A4 running can be some work. Maybe you should pull the A4 and put in a small reactor. It would be easier than the A4 for you to maintain. Maybe you could sell the energy to other boats to supplement your cruise or get free dock space while you sell your power to the local grid on whichever islands you visit.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #244 of 460 Old 09-02-2016

Unless you have had a misspent youth working and enjoying fixing junk (as I have) ,the last thing you need broken stuff as you sail into the rosy future. Maintaining good(expensive) stuff actually turned out to be more satisfying . I dropped out broke at 29, built the boat and sailed (type3 a) .For a long haired leaping gnome ,made a good living afloat, bought revenue rentals to support me in my dotage .Apart from the heart failure,(virus) I wouldn't have had any other way. Still glad I didn't wait.
post #245 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

Location: Fort McMurray, AB soon to be Westbay Marina Victoria

Cool Re: Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Wow guy's, getting a little heavy are we not? Does anybody remember the origin of this thread?

Although I did get a kick out of the 260K cruising budget thing. Wow!

A what the heck, I'll throw in two bits worth.

There is absolutely no one way to "do it right", that is totally different for everybody.

Personally I think cruising on savings is fine if your just taking a break and intend to go back to full time work.

Or you might have a plan for being able to ply your trade in other locals.

But cruising on income, that is a different matter.

Us, the first mate and I that is, we worked our butts off developing enough passive income that, if we are careful, frugal and the sea gods don't decide to put us 100 meters inland by hurricane whatever, we should be OK. Are we guaranteed to be OK?

Not by a long shot

Anything can happen! But is that not the challenge?

If you have a 260K a year cruising budget well, I hope you still are able to have fun.

Those kind of boats can be targets. Not to mention the difficulties in getting locals to look at you as anything other than a potential payday.

My old girl, lol she is tough as nails and as sea worthy as they come but definitely not the prime target for pirates. lol

She is some beautiful to us though!

And our cruising budget? sure ain't no 260K

lol

Take it as it comes and enjoy it all

Norm
post #246 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa View Post
Wow guy's, getting a little heavy are we not?

Norm

way to many egos on here
post #247 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

Don't get discouraged bud. I have checked out several sailing community boards and, in truth, so far I think I like a lot of older geezers that are lurking around here waiting for the odd intelligent question or statement to comment on.

I have seen some really good stuff. lol mixed of course in with the blathering.

Seems to be lots of honesty to break up the inevitable blow hards.

Keep tuning in and try to be positive, it will work out.

Its not like they are going to ram your boat or anything.

lol
packeteer likes this.
post #248 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post
Not argueing the amount, interested in knowing what you plan to do with 5000$ a week. Think I can invision what life on 100$ a week would be like - MISERABLE!
Most of the cost breakdown I've been able to find seem to be by people trying to prove how little they need, not a life I have any interest in living. If I want to eat lobster I'm damn well going to eat lobster!
Tanski, when you get out here, lobster are in abundance, you will rule the day that you spent xxx dollars on a lobster dinner. So much, that you can taste the difference in a one day, two, day, three day but that your eating now...you will know that what you ate before cruising is crap..

A great lobster hole on the full moon, ebb tide, on the low would be Minerva reef. Sacks full of critters. Bbg lobsters at 0500. Ha ha. What fun. Hope you make it out here. You will never think about lobster as a lubber again....No money ever spent in 5 star restaurant could ever replicate this experience.

Try a few fresh caught lobster tails, wrapped in Banana leaves, cooked on the BBQ, moist, juicy, oozing with natural juices, no need for butter or other western confusion spices.
Justa likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #249 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

You forgot the fresh Tuna, Salmon, Crab, Prawns and every other manner of sea beasty ready to meet my old Force 10.

Of course all of that can be found in the 5 star restaurants as well.

I mean if a guy wants and can do things that way, cool for him and who the heck am I to condemn it or approve it?

I can eat lobster in a five star, and sometimes do.

In truth though, I would rather a few tenders beached from the boats at anchor, a shore fire with pot luck BBQ consisting of ??

Did I forget the wine and the rum?
post #250 of 460 Old 09-03-2016

Friends run traps up here in New England get free chickens. Have gotten Caribbean lobsters both hand caught by buddy boats diving and bought and cooked for,me at anagada. No comparison. Lobster from cold water is sweeter with better texture. I also like claws. That and fish are better the further north you go. Love the Caribbean. Can't wait to return. Leaving November 2 but there are some things better in local waters. If you ever get up here a beach bake will knock your socks off- lobster,clams, fish and corn washed down with beer and bad stories- yum.
RTB, aeventyr60 and -OvO- like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in