Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey? - Page 47 - SailNet Community
 695Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Sixty seven miles to their destination then this happened....

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Sixty seven miles to their destination then this happened...
Yikes. Glad they made it, which I assume is not a spoiler or the vid wouldn't be posted. I simply can't imagine filming it, while trying to deal with the leak. Butyl tape was a silly idea, but I can't fault any skipper from trying anything.

Hulls are hard to crack, so that' a real mystery. I've never seen their stuff. What make/model do they sail?
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #463 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm looking for that balanced sweet spot. I'm early retirement eligible in 10 months. Hard to believe. I sometimes wonder if others life circumstances influence their desire and opportunity. While none are absolutely limiters or enablers, I would think having parents that are still alive, or younger children provides a different set of decision points than being single and sailing off. No right or wrong.

I will not be retiring in 10 months, rather another 5 years is more likely. I enjoy what I'm doing and it should provide for more economic security for me and my family. I think the one factor many fail to consider is their quality of life in their final years, which can be extraordinarily expensive. My path will more likely involve a ramping down along the way, allowing more time for what I want to do in retirement, without being fully retired. We're all blessed to have any choice at all, no matter the economic spectrum. My good health allows for options, presently anyway. I have many friends who are nearly a decade older and they hit many more routine land mines with their health.

Here's a funny progression I think is fairly true...

20s... invincible
30s... you begin to realize you can hurt your body
40s... you begin to realize you should avoid those thing that hurt your body
50s... you awake with things that hurt and have no idea what you did
60s... you walk a health mine field you laid over the past 50 years and there is little you can do to change it now
70s+... return to adolescence, you won the game.
Interesting post!

Youth is wasted on the young though a platitude rings true.

Clearly to get it together to leave and sail away requires consider money and experience. Both usually don't happen until at least mid life for the vast majority of sailors. Mid 30s without too many family strings is optimal for childless couples. But they likely have living and soon to be needy parents and may or may not have siblings to support those parents when you're out on the infinite blue. I left at 38 after both parents had died... unmarried with no children... and a chunk of savings... and was able to close my small practice.... which still took some time.

Older people may have grown children, grand children and more needy parents still hanging in there. This makes it very hard to go for the blue... and frankly a bit selfish... maybe. But time is a wastin' so you need to bite the bullet or you'll be taking risks that a younger and stronger you would not have been faced with.

Obviously most people are forced to delay the "dream" for all manner of reasons... mostly family, funds, and all manner of dirt entanglements.

I decided to do what amounted to a "sabbatical" a kind of active retirement in mid life when I was in way better shape than most retirees are. Heck my dad passed without any retirement and that is not all that uncommon.

My approach worked for me... I suppose some mid lifers haul their young family along because they chose to do the family thing on schedule. I had I 5 year ramp up learning prep curve and then 4 years out there on the blue and returned to do what most sailors do.... weekend use because they have a job and other dirt commitments.... like building a "nest egg" to pass to their children.

Note: give you children an education and let them figure it out for themselves... if they get in trouble you will be the first person they come to for a life line. If you pay for college that is an enormous leg up!

+++

My advice which is not worth the paper its wrtten on.... is rather than quit and close down your dirt "matrix"... would be to find a way to take a decent length "sabbatical" on the order or months up to a year... not years... maybe end of summer to next spring... cruise away... live aboard... experience paradise and then come back to your matrix and pick up where you left off... more or less. This is not easy to do I suspect.... but it is doable. Rent out your digs... to make the dirt carrying expenses an easier burden maybe.

If you sail off after shutting down your dirt matrix... you will have a very tough time to build another one perhaps.

It's way way way more "fun" and easier to cruise off the grid when you are not an old foggie.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.

post #464 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yikes. Glad they made it, which I assume is not a spoiler or the vid wouldn't be posted. I simply can't imagine filming it, while trying to deal with the leak. Butyl tape was a silly idea, but I can't fault any skipper from trying anything.

Hulls are hard to crack, so that' a real mystery. I've never seen their stuff. What make/model do they sail?
Yeah they are still gung ho to keep sailing after repairs. Good for them. Not sure what cracked the hull. Could be anything floating palm tree or water logged coconut? whatever it was they did not see it since it happened at night.

Would like to know what the goup/epoxy the fishing boat guys gave them. Looks like they also gave them a fiberglass patch too. Those fellows were prepared. Saved their boat.

I don't follow them normally so I don't know what make their boat was. Seems the hull might be a little on the thin side though.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #465 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I tried to view a bit to get some facts to understand what happened. Didn't happen. I thought I saw what looked like a crack in the bow just off the CL. Hull seems to be flexing (too much) indicating a rather thin lay up. I wouldn't feel comfortable with such a thin hull unless it was steel.
mbianka likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:38 AM.
post #466 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
...My advice which is not worth the paper its wrtten on.... is rather than quit and close down your dirt "matrix"... would be to find a way to take a decent length "sabbatical" on the order or months up to a year... not years... maybe end of summer to next spring... cruise away... life aboard... experience paradise and then come back to your matrix and pick up where you left off... more or less. This is not easy to do I suspect.... but it is doable. Rent out your digs... to make the dirt carrying expenses an easier burden maybe.

If you sail off after shutting down your dirt matrix... you will have a very tough time to build another one perhaps.

It's way way way more "fun" and easier to cruise off the grid when you are not an old foggie.
Interesting thoughts Sander. We left our land home five years ago now (time sure flies…). Our pattern of cruising has remained spending about 1/2 of the year on the boat then spending the other 1/2 doing other things. This pattern is driven by our choice of cruising grounds: Great Lakes and now Atlantic Canada (Newfoundland). Canadian winters make it rather hard to live on board year round (although some hardy/crazy souls do it).

Anyway, this means we’ve maintained a “dirt matrix” as you call it. Although in our case, I think we’ve created whole new ones since leaving our jobs. We tend to house sit in the winters, although one glorious season was spent motorcycling around Canada/USA.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #467 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Interesting thoughts Sander. We left our land home five years ago now (time sure flies…). Our pattern of cruising has remained spending about 1/2 of the year on the boat then spending the other 1/2 doing other things. This pattern is driven by our choice of cruising grounds: Great Lakes and now Atlantic Canada (Newfoundland). Canadian winters make it rather hard to live on board year round (although some hardy/crazy souls do it).

Anyway, this means we’ve maintained a “dirt matrix” as you call it. Although in our case, I think we’ve created whole new ones since leaving our jobs. We tend to house sit in the winters, although one glorious season was spent motorcycling around Canada/USA.
Mike you are up north and so sailing is kind of weather limited. Your dirt time could be and apparently is at time like "land sailing"... rv, bikes and so forth. But your dirt commitments are fluid... and still appear to be about "exploring". My dirt matrix involves wife's grand daughters, relatives (mine are all gone except one sis I am "guardian" of) and cultural things related to wonderful NYC. If we were not committed to this dirt location because of family we might likely move... and only visit the big apple. We love sailing but ownership at this age is more challenging and no less demanding.
MikeOReilly likes this.

post #468 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Yeah they are still gung ho to keep sailing after repairs. Good for them. Not sure what cracked the hull. Could be anything floating palm tree or water logged coconut? whatever it was they did not see it since it happened at night.

Would like to know what the goup/epoxy the fishing boat guys gave them. Looks like they also gave them a fiberglass patch too. Those fellows were prepared. Saved their boat.

I don't follow them normally so I don't know what make their boat was. Seems the hull might be a little on the thin side though.
I recall watching the Crash Boat Series on Yachting Monthly, where they needed to intentionally hole the boat to test remedies. It was extremely hard to do. Seems hard to believe they hit anything that hard and didn't realize it. Plausible that a prior owner did and made a cosmetic repair that ultimately failed. It may be interesting to learn what they found, after hauling.

The above series concluded that a foot on a pillow would slow a leak down well enough for the bilge pump to keep up perpetually. These guys said the crack extended to 2 feet. That's a whole different problem and concern over structural weakness.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:38 PM.
post #469 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Mike you are up north and so sailing is kind of weather limited. Your dirt time could be and apparently is at time like "land sailing"... rv, bikes and so forth. But your dirt commitments are fluid... and still appear to be about "exploring". My dirt matrix involves wife's grand daughters, relatives (mine are all gone except one sis I am "guardian" of) and cultural things related to wonderful NYC. If we were not committed to this dirt location because of family we might likely move... and only visit the big apple. We love sailing but ownership at this age is more challenging and no less demanding.
All true. I do think of our land time as a continuation of our cruising life. For me (for us) it’s mostly about being free — or as free as one can be in our world these days.

Our land commitments are few. No houses. No children (intentionally), only one parent remaining and she is in good health. Siblings on both sides, and a growing number of nieces and nephews. And lots of friends spread across this vast country of ours which we like to stay connected with. But yeah, fluid is probably a good way of describing our firm ties.

It’s how we’ve planned things. But we still have some land matrix — I do like that concept.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #470 of 478 Old 4 Weeks Ago

We’re November to June on the boat and the rest in our house. We come back for Xmas and a early spring break.
I like living in my own boat. I like living in my own house. Both are our nests and homes. I took early retirement. Just burnt out so shut the doors and walked away.
While in the house other than email to the yard no boat. While on the boat other than phone the kids no house.
Figure I can keep this up until 85. House was built so we can stay in it until death.
SanderO, Minnesail and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in