Crossing the Pacific Ocean with a friend - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter

Crossing the Pacific Ocean with a friend

Hi everyone!

Me and one of my good firends have a project of crossing the Pacific Ocean. We just got seriously into the project and... don't really know where to start. We are now searching for a sailing school not far from home, but this is not why I need your help. We really need a mentor to tell us everything we mst know for this kind of expedition. It would be great! Just to know the type of boat we have to buy, the price we are supposed to accept, the cost of food, the right type of communication to bring aboard, the length of the boat, etc etc. Does someone know a person that already di this kind of expedition? Does any of you already did it? We would love it if we could maybe organise a skype call or even a phone call to answer all the questions above and more.

Sorry for the bad english, not my first language ;P

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-20-2016
Barquito

Re: Crossing the Pacific Ocean with a friend

There are a lot of people on this forum (I am not one of them) that have crossed oceans. Do some reading, then start asking questions. There really is no EASY way to gain a lot of knowledge and experience in order to cross an ocean safely. It will take a few months of research until you even have an idea of what the scope of your project will be.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2016

I'll be interested to see how more experienced sailors respond to this thread.

Me, I'm at a similar place to you. I spent lots of time this summer on a 16' sloop learning the basics of managing lines and harnessing the wind. Last month I got my ASA 104 cert.

I'm working toward buying my first bluewater cruiser this coming year. I'm hoping to do my first ocean crossing some time in 2018, if I get to sail enough in 2017 to feel like I've gained enough experience. I feel like this is a reasonable timeline (but I'm interested to hear what others think).

You don't mention how much previous experience you have, or what kind of timeline you have. There's a lot to learn to make ocean crossings, so you may want to work out a multi-year plan like I am.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2016
Master Mariner

Most of us who have crossed oceans under sail are a pretty independent lot. We each have our own idea of what boat suits us, how to provision, what rig we prefer and what electronics and communication we need.
When I began this adventure, there just wasn't a lot of choice in what sort of vessel was available and suitable. Today there are as many designs as there are people to buy them. Thankfully, you have the internet and can at least get a lot of information. But it's still going to be your job to figure out what suits your needs, pocket book and comfort.
There are plenty of threads on this and other forums regarding choosing the right boat. I'd start there.
Lazerbrains likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2016

Joel, a big part of all such adventures is your budget. To a significant extent it will dictate the type of boat you can get and what gear/supplies you can get. Then comes the time frame of this trip and the route you want to follow.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2016

Start by reading The Pacific Crossing Guide by the Royal Cruising Club, which has guided thousands of mariners across the Pacific. This classic provides the latest on major routes, and piloting information for hundreds of ports, modern weather patterns (el Nino and la Nina), communications, vessel stability, and current patterns unique to the Pacific. It is both a hardcore planning guide and a dreamer's bible.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-20-2016
Courtney the Dancer

I don't think a Skype call is going to going to answer all your questions. You need to educate yourself at least to the point of knowing the basics. And no, there isn't an app for this.
Admire your enthusiasm but you really need to do a lot of reading and research, go sailing, meet some sailors and maybe you will be lucky enough to bump into a "mentor", but you shouldn't rely on anyone else to tell you how to do it, you will need to know how to do it yourself.
gamayun likes this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #8 of 11 Old 12-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel1812 View Post
Hi everyone!

We really need a mentor to tell us everything we mst know for this kind of expedition.

Joel
You really need an experienced delivery skipper to do the trip and pre-planning with you.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #9 of 11 Old 12-21-2016

Dreams live, as long as they remain realistic. Folks cross the Pacific all the time. They don't do it with little experience. Go sailing, take it a step at a time.

You may want to dream a bit, with Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising routes and look up the Coconut Milk Run, in particular.

Another thought is boat insurance. It is highly unlikely you'll get it at all, without a professional crew, so you'll have to be willing to financial risk your investment in the boat. Mine requires me to have 3 competent crew aboard, when more than 250 miles offshore (one more than my wife and me) and has very strict calendar windows and notification periods. That's after 40 years of screwing around on boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-21-2016

Dock

The first post is almost asking for everything. I tend to think that would be a consultancy needed.

Sure if you are willing to pay me money I will help you do your research.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in