Converting a overnighter to a live aboard. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

Re: Converting a overnighter to a live aboard.

Quote:
It's a 25' Helms. It did have all that but the previous owner removed them. So I'm building from almost scratch.
So how much of the stuff in Smacky's pictures do you see in your boat ? If you got that much it doesn't look like a lot of room left for a frig. etc.

"Just call me TB"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 08-31-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
So how much of the stuff in Smacky's pictures do you see in your boat ? If you got that much it doesn't look like a lot of room left for a frig. etc.
There looks to be an ice chest in these boats under that single burner. So you could drop an Isotherm (or whatever) unit into that space and be good for the basics. With the whale pump at the sink, it appears these boats also have some kind of water tank in them. So there's room for that too.

Again, no way would I want to do it, but all the naysaying is a bit silly. It just takes a bit of ingenuity. And most sailors (especially the minimalists) are usually pretty good with that.
post #23 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

I'm just going to throw this out there as an idea, I'm not promoting any kind of radical life style, but just presenting this as an idea to consider. You could probably manage without shore power, refrigeration or running water, at least at first to give it a try.

My little bro and his wife hasve lived without electricity at home for, probably a couple of years now. He has a little cabin in the woods in the Cape Breton Highlands. He and his wife both work, so they have internet access at work. They heat water for showering on the stove, a lantern for light and an outhouse, obviously they need a reliable heat source, so they cut their own firewood, but I think that would be less of a concern in Texas. They really enjoy it.

Here are some build ideas.

-Refrigeration. This all comes down to shopping. You can stock foods that don't require it, canned and preserved foods, peanuts, dried beans like lentils, beef jerky, onions, rice, garlic, cucumber, apples, bananas, shelf stable salami, etc. You get the idea. If you are a big meat eater, no big deal, just stop on the way home from work (or whatever your daily activities are) for fresh meat and produce.
-Running water. This one is easy, a couple of reusable 5 gallon jugs and you are off to the races.
-Electricity. You might want something, but it doesn't have to be full on 30 amp shore power. A 12 volt battery and a small solar panel should be adequate to charge your cell phone, stereo and a couple of LED lights. I love kerosene lighting, but I know Texas is hot.
-Cooking is easy. Modern propane systems really should have some electricity assist at least for the solenoid, but propane is not the only fuel source. I find non pressurised alcohol fantastic to cook on. A propane bbq on the rail could work well. There are other options too.

Again, I'm not saying you should do it this way, I'm just brain storming some ideas you could consider trying.
smackdaddy likes this.

post #24 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

If you have elec at the dock...a 120v dorm fridge is $100...maybe $25 used on craigslist.
A decent 120v/12v portable fridge/freeze will run you $400-600.
5 day coolers (ok, really 2 day) are $40, but the ice cost will eat you after a while.

20 lb propane bottle is the way to go. Don't even think about buying more than 2 of the 1lb green camp size bottles, but do buy 2 because you can get an adapter to refill them from the 20 lb bbqer.

If you buy anything that requires a battery, always go rechargeable batts...other than wafer batts.

Whatever you do, don't piss off the marina mgmt or your neighbors. Be special to yourself, but not a special case to them.

Have some fun.
Baby Jesus sleeps on a boat....
post #25 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

One think I would add, is some shade, and rain protection, for the cockpit, like at least a good tarp over the boom. If it's hot, cooking is overrated, so plan on ready to eat grocery shopping list. I lived for weeks at a time on my 20' Mirage and I never cooked. Too much hassle and fire risk too. And you will need a pee jar, even as it is not an expensive item. Just don't use Gatorade bottles. Mix-ups are all too easy...
willyd and Arcb like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #26 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

On the 7th day He did rest, but he was also thinking about the blue tarp...

Once you get this down - figure out solutions for the various things - you'll probably love it.

Later, it won't hurt to tell chicks you live on a boat....
Arcb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
flyrod (09-01-2017)
post #27 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
On the 7th day He did rest, but he was also thinking about the blue tarp...

Once you get this down - figure out solutions for the various things - you'll probably love it.

Later, it won't hurt to tell chicks you live on a boat....
Met my wife when I was living on my G30 with no fridge or running water.
krisscross likes this.
post #28 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Met my wife when I was living on my G30 with no fridge or running water.
That's how you know they really love you.
Arcb likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #29 of 59 Old 08-31-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I started my post before he listed his boat. I think 25' is a good general cut-off for live-aboard cruising size boat. That boat looks doable but still adding all the above stuff, means less room for storage of other life things. Do you have a place to store things besides the boat and your car?
I don't have many belongings so too much stuff isn't an issue. Though I can get a small storage unit if I need to. But my boat had water tanks and a head before, the previous owner removed them.
post #30 of 59 Old 08-31-2017

Just be smart and creative about about organizing your stuff.
If you need clothes that are w/o creases (looking clean-cut/pro), plan a space for that....a purposed space.
Anything that is stored and kept high...is not taking up floor space.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in