Cruising Models To Avoid - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 09-13-2017 Thread Starter

Cruising Models To Avoid

No not that kind of model, folks.

Hi, We are searching for our eventual blue-water cruiser. We're looking to keep her between 36 - 41 feet because after we get our off-shore sea legs, we plan to do ocean passages. Know it will need to be a used boat. New is out of our price range. We seem to like vessel designs that include a rear berth and a separate shower space (doesn't need to be huge). Hard to find, we know. Also, not crazy about bolt-on keels.

Maybe there's a design/make/model we're not aware of that we should be searching for? Figured someone on here knows the 4-1-1.

We're also hoping to not have to move her from one coast to the other (we're in greater Seattle area).

Edit: Our budget is <$50k. We're hoping to keep the spend to about $30k to allow some wiggle room for any upgrades, maintenance, etc.

Thanks in advance for any intel,

Casz & Greg
(Proteus Rising)

Last edited by Proteus Rising; 09-14-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

Re: Cruising Models To Avoid

You are describing a 45+ foot boat in a 41 or less foot package.

Most boats above 45 feet will have an aft berth but unless it's a center cockpit it will be a smaller berth than the v-berth. I have yet to see a well laid out center cockpit under 45 feet.
Proteus Rising likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
Proteus Rising (09-14-2017)
post #3 of 78 Old 09-13-2017
bell ringer

Lots of boats 40' and less have aft berths and good showers! But they are going to be "newer"boats with bolted keels. In fact there are so many models that have this that if you haven't been able to find them you have some other item you aren't telling (and no I'm not going to start tossing out models)

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
You are describing a 45+ foot boat in a 41 or less foot package.

Most boats above 45 feet will have an aft berth but unless it's a center cockpit it will be a smaller berth than the v-berth. I have yet to see a well laid out center cockpit under 45 feet.
Morgan, Gulfstar, Bristol... they're all "on their fourth decade" old now, but they're fine ones when you encounter one in good shape. The Morgan especially has a spacious layout.
travlin-easy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellsop For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus Rising View Post

Maybe there's a design/make/model we're not aware of that we should be searching for? Figured someone on here knows the 411.
Here's the 411 for you.
2001 Beneteau 411 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We looked at a Cheoy Lee 43 aft cockpit. It had a stern cabin which my wife liked but it was a bit of a cave. I liked the V-berth on it. I have not done an exhaustive search but the center cockpits under 40 feet look funny to me except for the Nor'sea 27 which is what it is. I don't doubt nice looking, sailing under 40 foot center cockpits are out there, I just haven't seen many.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #6 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

Not new can mean a range of different things.

The only alternatives I can think of to bolt on keels are; encapsulated keels, swing keels and multi hulls. If I wanted a decent bedroom, a separate shower, sub 40 feet and no bolt on keel, my pick would be a Catamaran, but it could seriously stretch your unknown budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

A Passport 41 would be worth considering. Bob Perry design and built for blue water. It's a semi-custom design, so different interior arrangements. Good friends have one and been as far north as Labrador and as far south as Curacao with it. If I remember, theirs has an aft cabin (with head) and the forward owners cabin has a head and separate shower.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

I think you should think about that aft cabin need.
How big? Walkaround? Largish closet/s?

Years ago I chartered a 'something' Ericson out of FL that had an under cockpit aft and thought it was great...for us at that time.
The boat was 35 or 36...IIRC.

A nice Passport will probably run you some bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Years ago I chartered a 'something' Ericson out of FL that had an under cockpit aft and thought it was great...for us at that time.
The boat was 35 or 36...IIRC.

A nice Passport will probably run you some bucks.
Probably a E35, E36s are rare unless the very traditional looking 36C. If I was looking at a long term cruising boat I would also suggest the Ericson 38 or 380. An E38 would be probably half the price of a Passport anything. The 380s were built by Pacific Seacraft so are stout boats, that's reflected in the price.

To the OP if we are going to help you spend your money, how much do you have to spend?

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 78 Old 09-13-2017

I don't get the fuss over a separate shower. Shiva has a forward walk thru head where the entire head is the shower. There is a large hatch above and essentially when using the shower the entire head gets a wash.... as a result there are no head odors... and we open the hatch and it all dries out very quickly. The shower pan is covered by a teak grate. We can sit on the toilet to shower as well. I see no down side to this specific arrangement. In fact I like it very much.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 09-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in