Visa for Cuba - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Re: Visa for Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't know about that being advanced. Exactly what does that information do that the US signal doesn't allow? Maybe everyone in Cuba suffers from anxiety disorder and can't handle the abrupt change to green, or yellow isn't clear enough.

Frequently, rules like that apply to citizen of specified countries. I don't think the OP has made their passport issuing country known.
Your comment regarding the signals is pure speculation, while I have just been there. I find it is best to get first hand knowledge before you try to discredit someone elses first hand account. Seems you'd rather insult a whole country of people than accept the possibility that they might use newer technology. It is actually not that surprising when you think about it though. The technology we use for signaling isn't anything near cutting edge afterall.

Op and several others have stated it's illegal to leave from US to Cuba. I was merely trying to show that it is NOT illegal to leave from US to Cuba. Being a US citizen I can also confirm that we are not restricted to travel nor spend any money in Cuba. There are actually nonstop flights to Havana from Miami and LA. Although there is only one airline providing nonstop flights from LA, the flight from LA is daily. I do not know the schedule for Miami. There are also cruise ships going to Cuba from Miami. What I do not know is any policies for private yachts traveling to Cuba.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited by neeqness; 10-22-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
..... Seems you'd rather insult a whole country of people.....
Seems you missed the smiley at the end of the paragraph you quoted. I was kidding. Lighten up, buttercup.

Quote:
...I was merely trying to show that it is NOT illegal to leave from US to Cuba....
You are right, it is not. I did not take exception to that. You also said you were issued your visa upon arrival, which I only pointed out was potentially due to your specific passport. We don't know the OPs nationality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Quote:
Seems you missed the smiley at the end of the paragraph you quoted. I was kidding. Lighten up, buttercup.

You are right, it is not. You also said you were issued your visa upon arrival, which I only pointed out was potentially due to your specific passport. We don't know the OPs nationality.
Insulting a whole country of people for something that little isn't funny or cool to me but if that's your sense of humor so be it.

We do not know OPs nationality but it has been stated that only the US has restrictions on travel and/or spending money in Cuba. In light of this, I was only trying to point out first hand that the US does not have those restrictions.

post #24 of 29 Old 10-22-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
They have roads everywhere and quite frankly their signaling system is a bit more advanced than ours.
Quote:
I don't know about that being advanced. Exactly what does that information do that the US signal doesn't allow?
Maybe we call all advance into a hundred years ago and build roundabouts. It seems far more efficient (when people actually know how to drive).
post #25 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Quote:
Insulting a whole country of people for something that little isn't funny or cool to me but if that's your sense of humor so be it......
Since I'm having a hard time seeing how you found my comment to insult the whole country, I'm also having a hard time apologizing for it. I will accept that you didn't find it funny.

Back to the actual point you made. How do you find a countdown to be more advanced than the light just changing? As I recall (it been a long time), the signal lights in England go from Red to Red and Green simultaneously, before changing to Green. I didn't understand the advantage there either. There is nothing you do differently for Red and Green than for Red. Same for the countdown. I certainly don't see either as advanced, just different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Quote:
Since I'm having a hard time seeing how you found my comment to insult the whole country, I'm also having a hard time apologizing for it. I will accept that you didn't find it funny.

Back to the actual point you made. How do you find a countdown to be more advanced than the light just changing? As I recall (it been a long time), the signal lights in England go from Red to Red and Green simultaneously, before changing to Green. I didn't understand the advantage there either. There is nothing you do differently for Red and Green than for Red. Same for the countdown. I certainly don't see either as advanced, just different.
It's ok. If you thought it was funny I can understand why you wouldn't see it as insulting. I've already accepted that to be your perspective. I am not trying to change you. Everyone is different, even identical twins are not entirely alike. I'm ready to move on if you are.

In the same token if you don't believe me that their signals were more advanced that's fine too. It wasn't really my main point. My main point was that the US doesn't have any additional restrictions regarding travel or spending money in Cuba. Cuba does have their customs requirements but they are handled upon arrival. You do need cash on hand to pay for the visa and currency exchanges are also handled in Cuba.

Last edited by neeqness; 10-22-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #27 of 29 Old 10-22-2017
Yo no soy marinero.....

Cuba and North Korea - well that's very disappointing. I had not heard that news. Just read it now from the BBC website.

Road Conditions - suffice to say things are better now than in the 50s and 60s. Notwithstanding the traffic lights.

Still it remains that if you are going to sail to Cuba, the marina services and infrastructure will almost certainly not be what you are used to in other countries. I am going to the south coast in a few weeks and will be looking into this specifically. I'll happily post what I find.

Does anyone have 'up to date' information regarding charts for Cuba?
best to all

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Lake ON
post #28 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Dock

Maybe a little off topic, but Nike has a couple of interesting videos of visiting Cuba by boat.......

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #29 of 29 Old 10-22-2017

Enjoyed the video. Brought back some fond, old memories of Cuba, but I could not help but notice how many of the buildings have deteriorated severely since my visits there in the late 1960s. Street performers were quite common back then, as were the street vendors from the nearby faring communities. I didn't notice any seafood vendors, which were quite prevalent back in the late 1950s. You could always find good sources of fresh conch, king mackerel, and a host of groundfish species at fantastic prices.

Watch this one

Thanks for posting the link,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 10-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in