SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Visa for Cuba (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/301265-visa-cuba.html)

poetalan 10-19-2017 02:19 AM

Visa for Cuba

Sailing from Miami to Cuba in December, but cannot get a tourist visa for Cuba. Cuban embassy in Canberra won't help as I'm not travelling directly from Australia. Cuban embassy in Washington say it's illegal to issue a tourist visa for Cuba since Trump.
Any ideas??
We have alternate destinations but would love to visit Cuba

Poetalan

ianjoub 10-19-2017 11:35 AM

Re: Visa for Cuba

Yes, go there for professional reasons. Photography seems to be a popular one.

Minnewaska 10-19-2017 03:20 PM

First, I'm no fan of the guy personally, but the current US President is not the one that put restrictions on US citizen travel to Cuba.

Second, something isnt adding up. I've lost count of the US citizens I know that have first gone to Canada or Mexico and then flew to Cuba. I don't once recall hearing of waiting to organize a visa. I'm sure you need some official document, but I would swear it is instant issue for a fee. I have this recollection that to enter Cuba, you must have health insurance that covers you in Cuba. You buy it in customs, on the spot, if you don't. Check around online. There has to be a way to obtain what you need online, if you're not a US citizen.

However, if you are a US citizen, departing from the US, that will be very difficult to do legally. Has been for about 50 years now.

capta 10-19-2017 04:53 PM

I'm confused, are you a Yank or an Aussie?

RegisteredUser 10-19-2017 05:55 PM

With Sydney and Canberra listed he probably eats vegemite...'stralia

Hemingway Marina is the most popular entry port, iirc.

capta 10-19-2017 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=RegisteredUser;2051251185]With Sydney and Canberra listed he probably eats vegemite...'stralia/QUOTE]
Yeah, I did see that but perhaps they bought the boat down under and sailed her here? I don't understand why the Aussie Embassy can't issue Cuban visas to their citizens in DC. I didn't think our embargo involved them. It certainly doesn't seem to matter to the Canadians.

RegisteredUser 10-19-2017 07:06 PM

I'm guessing that he was given and/or received bad info.
That country wants your $s.

I'm very interested in Cuba. Reads like the read deal...along with some hoops and hurdles, naturally.
I'm most interested in the southern coast, and not sure where to get the most current charts.
Navionics is doing a webinar on Cuba (never done/attended one before) 11/15/17.
I'm guessing much of the north coast took a big Maria hit.

albrazzi 10-19-2017 08:40 PM

Like Minnie not a fan, I think he knows its the right time but he's delaying for personnel gain. Let us know how it turns out I would like to do this soon.

poetalan 10-19-2017 08:54 PM

The embassies in Canberra & Washington have not been helpful. They just send thru some pdf telling me what I already know. Makes me think they didn't bother to read the email.

capta 10-19-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051251289)
I'm guessing that he was given and/or received bad info.
That country wants your $s.

I'm very interested in Cuba. Reads like the read deal...along with some hoops and hurdles, naturally.
I'm most interested in the southern coast, and not sure where to get the most current charts.
Navionics is doing a webinar on Cuba (never done/attended one before) 11/15/17.
I'm guessing much of the north coast took a big Maria hit.

From what I've been told by those who have been there over the last 3 or 4 years, one is not free to go where one wishes, Canadian, American or Australian. There are approved marinas and at times certain bays where one may anchor, but I don't think the south coast is open to sailing yachts.
Not having been there I can't say for sure, but the stories of the restrictions have prevented us from venturing that way. However, the feeling about Cuba from those I've met who have been there is generally favorable.