Visa for Cuba - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
po

Visa for Cuba

Sailing from Miami to Cuba in December, but cannot get a tourist visa for Cuba. Cuban embassy in Canberra won't help as I'm not travelling directly from Australia. Cuban embassy in Washington say it's illegal to issue a tourist visa for Cuba since Trump.
Any ideas??
We have alternate destinations but would love to visit Cuba

Poetalan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-19-2017
Land lubber

Re: Visa for Cuba

Yes, go there for professional reasons. Photography seems to be a popular one.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-19-2017

First, I'm no fan of the guy personally, but the current US President is not the one that put restrictions on US citizen travel to Cuba.

Second, something isnt adding up. I've lost count of the US citizens I know that have first gone to Canada or Mexico and then flew to Cuba. I don't once recall hearing of waiting to organize a visa. I'm sure you need some official document, but I would swear it is instant issue for a fee. I have this recollection that to enter Cuba, you must have health insurance that covers you in Cuba. You buy it in customs, on the spot, if you don't. Check around online. There has to be a way to obtain what you need online, if you're not a US citizen.

However, if you are a US citizen, departing from the US, that will be very difficult to do legally. Has been for about 50 years now.
travlin-easy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-19-2017
Master Mariner

I'm confused, are you a Yank or an Aussie?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 29 Old 10-19-2017

With Sydney and Canberra listed he probably eats vegemite...'stralia

Hemingway Marina is the most popular entry port, iirc.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-19-2017
Master Mariner

[QUOTE=RegisteredUser;2051251185]With Sydney and Canberra listed he probably eats vegemite...'stralia/QUOTE]
Yeah, I did see that but perhaps they bought the boat down under and sailed her here? I don't understand why the Aussie Embassy can't issue Cuban visas to their citizens in DC. I didn't think our embargo involved them. It certainly doesn't seem to matter to the Canadians.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #7 of 29 Old 10-19-2017

I'm guessing that he was given and/or received bad info.
That country wants your $s.

I'm very interested in Cuba. Reads like the read deal...along with some hoops and hurdles, naturally.
I'm most interested in the southern coast, and not sure where to get the most current charts.
Navionics is doing a webinar on Cuba (never done/attended one before) 11/15/17.
I'm guessing much of the north coast took a big Maria hit.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-19-2017
al brazzi

Like Minnie not a fan, I think he knows its the right time but he's delaying for personnel gain. Let us know how it turns out I would like to do this soon.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
po

The embassies in Canberra & Washington have not been helpful. They just send thru some pdf telling me what I already know. Makes me think they didn't bother to read the email.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-19-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I'm guessing that he was given and/or received bad info.
That country wants your $s.

I'm very interested in Cuba. Reads like the read deal...along with some hoops and hurdles, naturally.
I'm most interested in the southern coast, and not sure where to get the most current charts.
Navionics is doing a webinar on Cuba (never done/attended one before) 11/15/17.
I'm guessing much of the north coast took a big Maria hit.
From what I've been told by those who have been there over the last 3 or 4 years, one is not free to go where one wishes, Canadian, American or Australian. There are approved marinas and at times certain bays where one may anchor, but I don't think the south coast is open to sailing yachts.
Not having been there I can't say for sure, but the stories of the restrictions have prevented us from venturing that way. However, the feeling about Cuba from those I've met who have been there is generally favorable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in