proof i am not a goddess - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 05-21-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Re: proof i am not a goddess

Zee,

You may not be a goddess, but you are a diety (of some sort) to many of us...

The only times that I have had students fall into the water in 5 years of teaching sailing has been at the dock. I stress this to new students. I also always have students pass their items to a crewmember that is aboard, rather than carry their backpack/water bottle/etc. aboard. This way they have two free hands and are balanced.

My boat has a swim platform and a swim ladder that I store in the UP position. I secure the ladder with a line which is simply wrapped several times around the pushpit railing BUT NOT TIED. If I were to fall in, I can simply pull on the ladder several times and the line will unwrap itself from the railing, and deploy. This is one of the reasons that I consider a swim platform a necessary safety feature, but acknowledge that many boats do not have one.

For you, I suggest that you simply leave a swim ladder attached to the side/transom of your boat while in the marina.

Glad you and Bubba are OK.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 05-21-2018 Thread Starter
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

in almost 70 years of living i have never ever never fallen in until the other day. i am like the cat--- embarrassed hahahahaha not , but close.. the idiocy of involuntary swimming is due to subconscious issues.. fear of falling in, and the assinine issues of not being ready for this inevitablity. we will ALL fall in at some time.
thankyou donna f and others for letting me know goddesses do fall into stuff... hahaha cannot call it water, as it is sooooo gawdawfully filthy. yes i washed all of me in industrial strength lavendar soap liquid, same a swhen i was bitten by that monkey in barra de navidad.. yup chacho bit me. i get all the fun, dont i..hahahahaha
chef2sail--i had one of those beautiful self-retrievers, aka ladders-- in a bag. apparently it was pretty enough to steal, as someone in my mooring field acquired one..from my boat, before i left san diego. ok. not sold in mexico., ok. grrr.
i DREAMED of this bit of equipment while i trod water seeking an exit. cussed out the thief as well. hahaha
my immediate fix is a long loop of line off my transom, into water. i think of it is a cat ladder hahahahaha as it is used for bubba to find way out of drink, even tho he never used it, even when he fell in. he panicked and hung on to the anchor chain and snubber bridle. with that loop and a huge fail fender, could work.
i tore my paw trying to get a grip on dock... not a good thing with e coli and staph and strep of antibiotic resistent types in marina waters... rip rap can cause a bit of damages to skin thus allowing entry. and donot forget the eyes. entry of microbes via eyes is a reality.
i donot fear water or swimming, i do respect the microbes in the water and donot wish a personal relationship with em.
the tire on slip finger is a great idea. there are plenty of tires and i have an old holed fender i can use as well. easy peasy. patriciacane popped it but can still live on in dock fender fashion. as i progress with ladder i plan on using the old welded stainless tubing ladderette as a dock retrieval system, use it where i am docked, as it is long enough only for that use.
thankfully our docks float with tide and swells. those stationary docks are strange and difficult to manage. when in fla, i negotiated those with trepidation. had to step off bow to gain access to land and provisioning. but i was younger and more agile.
RegisteredUser likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #23 of 36 Old 05-21-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
"Don't fall in" is good advice, and should be plan A for everyone. However, an accidental swim ought not to be fatal by default. Hence, IMHO some means of getting back aboard/ashore ought to be arranged in any well-found boat.
An "accidental swim" IS fatal by default in most cases, if one goes over the side in the ocean!
Why would one be any less careful in a slip or at anchor? Many who do go for an unintended swim hit their head on the way down, so no ladder or system would be of help in that case.
I do not prescribe to the philosophy that "$hit happens", barring alcohol involvement. In over 50 years of pretty much full time boating, including some pretty dangerous stuff on tugs, work and fishing boats, nobody's ever unintentionally fallen overboard from any vessel I was on or operating.
A prudent mariner is much more into prevention than cure.
zeehag likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 36 Old 05-21-2018

Dock

I haven't read any of the other responses as I haven't had time - and you're all idiots anyway.

(Notice the Smiley made that all better?)

Anyway, idiots, listen to me....:

Falling off the boat or dock is the way MOST solo sailors die.

No, not out there sailing, but by falling off the boat or dock or dinghy when they are nicely reposited in some calm waterway at anchor or in a marina.

They die because they fall in and cant get out.

Usually alcohol helps.

Andrew, the A in CaptA was in Grenada when at least 2 solo sailors died in the same f***ing bay!
Some old derro walking out of the bar near the boat yard, and the old derro with the catamaran.
Both had had a few beers... the guy at the dinghy dock stepped onto his tube(?) and slipped off(?) and fell backwards(?) and hit his head on the dock(?) and therefore couldn't get back up onto the dock. BUT the dock didn't have a ladder anyway. Sure it was only 10 yards from shore but that's a long way when you are solo, drunk and old.

The other guy left the same bar, dinghied to his catamaran and, well, how many ???'s do you need... he was found floating. His swim ladder wasn't down so he probably fell in and couldn't get back inside his dinghy or onto his boat. He died at a stupid time as he was just managing a rapprochement with his daughter.

So this is a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zee! You are lucky to be alive!!!!!!!!!

So how do I overcome drunken late night debauchery?

Every time I get into the dinghy when I am sober I get into it the way I will get into it when I am drunk. Learn sober and you will do the same pissed to the eye-balls: I sit my butt on the dock and put my feet into the dinghy and then slide my butt into the dink. I never, ever, ever, step onto a dinghy tube. Why not? Because they can be slippery with salt, or after the bar extremely slippery with dew and salt.

Getting out of the dink is a similar, rehearsed method with my swim platform. I started doing that after the Australian smart-ass boating magazine journalist died when he was climbing up the side of his boat. He splashed in and couldn't get up.

Now I leave the swim ladder down.
Many people with cats leave a bit of carpet dangling over the side so cats can get a grip and get back on board... but they forget themselves!

Finally, if you are at a marina without emergency ladders every few meters COMPLAIN! You're Americans, FFS, your best ability is complaining! So get up the marinas butt until they have ladders... because it may be your butt that's saved.

Now, give me another beer so I can test out all this BS...

Mark
Donna_F, eherlihy, zeehag and 3 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
zeehag (05-22-2018)
post #25 of 36 Old 05-21-2018

Tells you the tale of a guy I know. Anchors in Shelter Island Meets the true love in a bar in SD .They ,he small,She really BIG .Getting from sabot dink to swim grid ,they both go swimming, He manages to crawl out on the grid and retrieves the dingy but no way is she recoverable. so tows her across the bay to a launching ramp where they comsumate their relationship .Shows that love will find a way if the water's not too cold to be soon fatal.
post #26 of 36 Old 05-21-2018

The last time I fell in, it was while docking. It was mid week, early in the season, so nobody was around. My wife was aboard, but seemed to be too busy making sure we didn't ram the neighbors... Faced with a panic stricken wife, and a boat drifting away, I somehow hoisted my 59 yr old body straight up onto the floating dock. It did take extreme effort, and I did get a few slices from the barnacles. But when options are limited, its surprising what a body can do.... And I was actually glad there was nobody to witness my foolishness....
post #27 of 36 Old 05-21-2018

Speaking of the micro whatevers in dirty water...use ear plugs if you are cleaning the hull.

Theres still a lot of unknowns...to be learned.
Had a friend contract a brain prob for about a year.
Twas unknowns in the water
zeehag likes this.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-22-2018 Thread Starter
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

oh the unknowns are knowns. is why this nurse will not swim in public water. hahahahaha
and funny how all of the organisms are medication resistant.
ok.. fun times ahead amigos

oh. ps ...i donot drink alcohol at all. i am merely OLD

another--consulted with my worker last evening when he was finished working next door and we agreed i need a wood and bronze ladder asap, and install my stainless tube ladder onto dock for extrication from slipwater
luckily my head is made of good danish oak. solid as a rock.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 05-22-2018 at 03:28 PM.
post #29 of 36 Old 05-22-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by markofsealife View Post
i haven't read any of the other responses as i haven't had time - and you're all idiots anyway.

(notice the smiley made that all better?)

anyway, idiots, listen to me....:

mark

╭∩╮( ͡° ل͟ ͡° )╭∩╮

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-22-2018 at 08:37 PM.
post #30 of 36 Old 05-22-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

I don't have Sal's artistic ability, but yes, I understand his reaction. Mostly I just ignore internet rudeness.

It does, however, detract from the civility and enjoyment of these discussions. Usually I would just skip reading such drivel. What's interesting to me is that Mark went on to describe situations that were pertinent and allowed me to think about important (to me) issues. I have been known to hoist a few drinks (not too often) and I know that it makes the docks and boats more dangerous places. In fact, I have a family member who lives aboard and often drinks. We family worry about him for that reason. So that aspect of the discussion actually really matters to me. And I would have missed that part of the discussion because the poster felt, for whatever reason, to call us idiots. We're not really ... well not always! So yes, I do have a sense of humor, but calling the forum members idiots just isn't funny.

So, back to the discussion:

Where I am, the water temperature is in the 50's. I've seen a bunch of people fall off docks. One lady - who is a circumnavigator - just stepped off a boat and missed the dock. She really couldn't get out. Luckily my wife and I were in our boat. When we heard her yell, we came running. Got her out, no problem. The worst time was about 20 years ago. We were down in Moss Landing. As I walked by a boat tied to the dock, a little kid (about 5 years old?) came out of the boat and just went into the water. Disapeared. No life jacket. Cold and dark water. The Dad came out and jumped into the water. This took place faster than you can imagine. I stood there to take a moment and sure enough, the kid surfaced and I grabbed him. The Dad came up a moment later. That was REALLY scary.
Atlas likes this.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 05-23-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in