1Likes
  • 1 Post By eherlihy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2018 Thread Starter
is Awesome!

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Yacht choice...

Hello all,

I’m posting to ask for advice/resources for distilling my choice of boat from the squillions available.

I’m doing my homework right now to look for a suitable vessel as a full time liveaboard.

I’m looking for;
40-60ft LOA
Bridge clearance MUST be less than 59ft
Centre cockpit
spacious aft owners cabin
W/ centreline island double bed

Short of traveling through every ad and ruling out contenders I’m wondering if there is a database available online somewhere to help narrow my choices a bit.

Cruising grounds will me mainly Europe/med, but would like to be able to make some blue water passages in a few years too.

When in the UK I’ll Be moored up in a Marina in the river Weaver and further downstream is the height restriction which means I must have an airdraft of no more than 59ft.

If anybody can off guidence it would be much appreciated 😁😁😁

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Sailboatdata.com
hellsop likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-09-2018

Re: Yacht choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
Iím doing my homework right now to look for a suitable vessel as a full time liveaboard.

Iím looking for;
40-60ft LOA
Bridge clearance MUST be less than 59ft
Centre cockpit
spacious aft owners cabin
W/ centreline island double bed

Short of traveling through every ad and ruling out contenders Iím wondering if there is a database available online somewhere to help narrow my choices a bit.

Cruising grounds will me mainly Europe/med, but would like to be able to make some blue water passages in a few years too.

When in the UK Iíll Be moored up in a Marina in the river Weaver and further downstream is the height restriction which means I must have an airdraft of no more than 59ft.
You're going to be looking at the short end of your range then. Ketches *tend to* have air draft around 120% of their length, and sloops it's more like 133%, and that's before you add anything else. So, you may have a tough time with any boat much bigger than 45 feet. (Is that the restriction at mean high tide? I know UK gets much more tide than most US locations, so 59 feet at worst case or can you leave mid-afternoon and gain another 3 feet of room?)

The centerline berth thing is *mostly* seen on center cockpit boats too. Which means you've got two keywords for your searches now. "center cockpit", and "45". And that, combined with the normal desire to shop where you are (rather than looking at boats in Greece, the Canaries, or Barbados) will probably get you down to a manageable number of adverts to troll through. And you'll probably not need to look at boats much older than about 1997-2000 too; I associate that pedestal bed thing with starting in the early 2000s. Before that, mostly we sa double berth aft arranged crosswise, so the occupant alternately bumped their heads or feet with every tack.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

I have to agree with hellsop on the length vs draft issue. Looking for a 59' max air draft in a 50-60' boat will severely limit the choices. Even in the mid-low 40' range some of the tall rigs will exceed 59'.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2018 Thread Starter
is Awesome!

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies 😁 Iíve been doing a bit more sifting through ads over the weekend and seems that the biggest I could hope to get (with airdraft under 59í) is going to be a 42ft yacht.

Thatís big enough.

The particular place I plan to make berth is in the centre of the town where the majority of my family live.
And it will be nice to be able to keep a Ďhomeí morning there. (Loose plan is summers there, and head south for winter)

Budget is flexible and have been looking at boats between £100-£250k (appreciate thatís big difference) just a matter of how soon I decide to Ďdo ití for now Iím doing my homework...

It seems that £100k would buy me a Hunter Passage 420 (favoured choice so far) but Iíve found conflicting information about the airdraft; some sites stating 61í others stating 58Ĺí

As for Weaver navigation, it flows into the Manchester ship canal and then has got several locks up stream before youíd get into the centre of northwich

post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2018

A ketch rig will have a shorter main mast than the same LWL sloop.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in