SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Satellite tv? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/326582-satellite-tv.html)

pazzoguy83 10-29-2018 11:36 PM

Satellite tv?

TV? Anyone used satellite TV on their boat? How well has it worked? What about while under sail? I don't know if they make an antenna that's fixed or do you have to adjust it and recalibrate every time you relocate. Having to do all that all would be enough for me to throw it overboard!! Lol any info would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Arcb 10-29-2018 11:58 PM

Re: Satellite tv?

Are you serious?

Of course my favourite part of sailing is watching reruns of ALF, why else would you go sailing?

pazzoguy83 10-30-2018 12:02 AM

Good point!! Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it

Arcb 10-30-2018 12:04 AM

I think you will find the most comfortable sailboats for television viewing are probably cruising catamarans. You can definnitly get the right equipment for satellite tv.

pazzoguy83 10-30-2018 12:05 AM

They look awesome but I doubt I will ever be able to afford one lol!!

pazzoguy83 10-30-2018 12:06 AM

I was in Philadelphia today and on the Delaware River they have this ridiculous catamaran probably about 40 or so footer!! looked beautiful I was in love!!

JimsCAL 10-30-2018 07:42 AM

Sat TV is only useful in a slip where you are not moving around or if you have one of those REALLY expensive antennas that automatically track the satellite. OTA TV is a much better option.

hellosailor 10-30-2018 01:14 PM

What Jim said. You can't afford an automatic real-time satellite tracking antenna even if you clear off the foredeck to fit it and install more batteries to power it. You can buy an RV model that will automatically find and lock onto a satellite after you've "parked" and stopped all wave action from rocking the boat.

If OTA won't keep you happy, then your next best bet is an "unlimited data" cellular plan and signing up for an internet tv service. With a cell phone that can "cast" the shows to a larger tv if needed.

Minnewaska 10-31-2018 03:04 PM

I have no interest in satellite tv. I do have an OTA antenna and watch very sporadically. Sunday morning news mostly.

There used to be a time I recall you had to fake out Direct TV and get the subscription at your home, then transfer the box to your boat. Then it wouldnít work if you sailed too far away and needed access to different satellites. There are special marine antenna for this, if you want to drop thousands on just the antenna. Perhaps the subscription environment has matured. I honestly donít get it.

Even the few days Iím stuck aboard for weather, I either have boat projects or can watch a downloaded movie.

reduc 10-31-2018 03:37 PM

I just spent a week sailing down to Florida on a boat with satellite TV, in addition to 3 days on the dock and 1 at anchor. On the dock and at anchor we always had decent weather, and had no issues with it. Moving in calm waters (say 1-3 foot swell) it also worked pretty well with the occasional lost signal errors that lasted for a few seconds before coming back. Still very watchable. In a lot of chop it basically didn't work. In moderate conditions with a sail up to avoid to much back and forth it was barely watchable - for me anyway - I have a low tolerance for lost signal messages. One very cloudy day in otherwise calm conditions it could not get signal.

That trip is the only time I've been on a boat with satellite TV, and it was not used 'extensively' - mostly for those off watch to catch football.