Satellite tv? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2018 Thread Starter

Satellite tv?

TV? Anyone used satellite TV on their boat? How well has it worked? What about while under sail? I don't know if they make an antenna that's fixed or do you have to adjust it and recalibrate every time you relocate. Having to do all that all would be enough for me to throw it overboard!! Lol any info would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2018

Re: Satellite tv?

Are you serious?

Of course my favourite part of sailing is watching reruns of ALF, why else would you go sailing?
oysterman23 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

Good point!! Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it

post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2018

I think you will find the most comfortable sailboats for television viewing are probably cruising catamarans. You can definnitly get the right equipment for satellite tv.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-30-2018 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

They look awesome but I doubt I will ever be able to afford one lol!!

post #6 of 13 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

I was in Philadelphia today and on the Delaware River they have this ridiculous catamaran probably about 40 or so footer!! looked beautiful I was in love!!

post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2018

Sat TV is only useful in a slip where you are not moving around or if you have one of those REALLY expensive antennas that automatically track the satellite. OTA TV is a much better option.
hellsop likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 13 Old 10-30-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

What Jim said. You can't afford an automatic real-time satellite tracking antenna even if you clear off the foredeck to fit it and install more batteries to power it. You can buy an RV model that will automatically find and lock onto a satellite after you've "parked" and stopped all wave action from rocking the boat.

If OTA won't keep you happy, then your next best bet is an "unlimited data" cellular plan and signing up for an internet tv service. With a cell phone that can "cast" the shows to a larger tv if needed.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-31-2018

I have no interest in satellite tv. I do have an OTA antenna and watch very sporadically. Sunday morning news mostly.

There used to be a time I recall you had to fake out Direct TV and get the subscription at your home, then transfer the box to your boat. Then it wouldn’t work if you sailed too far away and needed access to different satellites. There are special marine antenna for this, if you want to drop thousands on just the antenna. Perhaps the subscription environment has matured. I honestly don’t get it.

Even the few days I’m stuck aboard for weather, I either have boat projects or can watch a downloaded movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-31-2018

Location: On my boat, currently moving around the east coast US

I just spent a week sailing down to Florida on a boat with satellite TV, in addition to 3 days on the dock and 1 at anchor. On the dock and at anchor we always had decent weather, and had no issues with it. Moving in calm waters (say 1-3 foot swell) it also worked pretty well with the occasional lost signal errors that lasted for a few seconds before coming back. Still very watchable. In a lot of chop it basically didn't work. In moderate conditions with a sail up to avoid to much back and forth it was barely watchable - for me anyway - I have a low tolerance for lost signal messages. One very cloudy day in otherwise calm conditions it could not get signal.

That trip is the only time I've been on a boat with satellite TV, and it was not used 'extensively' - mostly for those off watch to catch football.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in