Does anyone use their Sea-Swing cooker? - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 3 Post By alanr77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Does anyone use their Sea-Swing cooker?

So....I needed a fourth pot to cook in, remembered that I have an old Sea-Swing cooker tucked away along with a propane bottle for it. Attached it to its mount above the galley and fired it up.

This damn thing scares me, to the point I had a fire extinguisher off the bracket and sitting next to me. Whooshhhh with flames curling up along all sides. Eventually (trying to boil water) flames started coming out where the propane bottle attaches so I shut it down and reverted to a “JetBoil” I use when hiking.

Obviously there’s a bad seal in the bottle mount. Regardless, I don’t like this thing at all. For one, the entire assembly gets hotter en hell and anything like that is just begging for 3rd degree burns when I fall into the damn thing in a seaway. It’s only logical location is above the galley sink next to the companionway (I have a “small” boat) so there is no real “safe” place to put it. The way this thing operates I wouldn’t let it out of my sight for 5 seconds, let alone “warming something up” for me while at the helm, soup, coffee, the Irish kind or otherwise.

Is this thing worth keeping and fixing? Does anyone actually use them anymore?

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Does anyone use their Sea-Swing cooker?

My [I]old[I] Sea Swing had a bronze base that must have weighed 12 pounds! Instead of propane, it used a Primas kerosine burner and it was the finest stove I've ever used at sea. Any weather or sea condition, up to and including a full gale and we had hot food or coffee if the cook was up to the job. Great invention.
oysterman23 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
My [I]old[I] Sea Swing had a bronze base that must have weighed 12 pounds! Instead of propane, it used a Primas kerosine burner and it was the finest stove I've ever used at sea. Any weather or sea condition, up to and including a full gale and we had hot food or coffee if the cook was up to the job. Great invention.
This things pretty old, probably older than me. Looks like it was converted to LPG at some point. All the markings on it are burnt stuff I tried using to handle the thing. I can see how it would be useful to keep coffee or soup in while underway with the gimbal mount and all (why I kept it) just seems incredibly dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
07339032-B405-4E80-B69D-4778CC2F85F8_1560402867947.jpeg   14B15FB5-6A2B-459C-9863-E5E0ECD99984_1560402906278.jpeg  

SV Salinity

post #4 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Wow, that thing is a beast! If you feel handy, lots of people have made double-gimbaled mounts for camp stoves. single burner camp stove multi-gimballed - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums has some great examples, but just googling for "camp stove gimbal mount" turns up tons more.
post #5 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz3 View Post
Wow, that thing is a beast! If you feel handy, lots of people have made double-gimbaled mounts for camp stoves. single burner camp stove multi-gimballed - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums has some great examples, but just googling for "camp stove gimbal mount" turns up tons more.
Yeah, that’s why I kept it. It’s solid. I’m used to using JetBoil style camp stoves; fast and convenient. They’ll boil water in a quarter of the time compared to my stovetop and now as I found out, the Sea-Swing. My main issue with the Sea-Swing, other than the flames shooting out of everywhere, is that the entire assembly gets red hot. The only place I can fit it is right next to the companionway, starboard side. I’ve bumped into it (cold thank god) many times coming down the steps. If it were in operation, I’d melt my foulies or worse yet, my right arm or shoulder. I know people relied on these things for decades which is why I’m trying to troubleshoot my own operation of it and/or mounted location before tossing the thing. That’s why I wanted to see if anyone was still actually using them. Kind of like pressurized alcohol stoves; yeah they might work most of the time but I’ve lost enough facial hair from them that they quickly find their way off my boats.

SV Salinity
post #6 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Here’s the mounted location.
Attached Thumbnails
A9CD9520-7334-4221-A29F-E287A9939CD1_1560442717455.jpeg  

SV Salinity
post #7 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago

Love mine. Have the kerosene model which for me is a plus as I've been cooking on kero boat stoves for more than a 1/2 century. Have yet to find a sea state that the Sea Swing wasn't able to brew a pot of coffee or heat a meal. Obviously I'm not a gourmet cook but it was my only cooker for the TransPac.

They were designed to use Sterno cans for heat which weren't all that efficient being alcohol. Conversion to Kerosene was largely an after market modification as was propane/butane. The OP's stove is obviously malfunctioning. On a properly set up SeaSwing the flames are directed at the bottom of the pot and any heat transferred to the stove itself is reflected. They do get warm but not super hot as to be a fire or melt hazard if you accidentally brush against it. No, you're not going to want to hang onto the stove with both hands but that would be dumb to do in any case.

Last edited by roverhi; 1 Week Ago at 04:32 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Love mine. Have the kerosene model which for me is a plus as I've been cooking on kero boat stoves for more than a 1/2 century. Have yet to find a sea state that the Sea Swing wasn't able to brew a pot of coffee or heat a meal. Obviously I'm not a gourmet cook but it was my only cooker for the TransPac.

They were designed to use Sterno cans for heat which weren't all that efficient being alcohol. Conversion to Kerosene was largely an after market modification as was propane/butane. The OP's stove is obviously malfunctioning. On a properly set up SeaSwing the flames are directed at the bottom of the pot and any heat transferred to the stove itself is reflected. They do get warm but not super hot as to be a fire or melt hazard if you accidentally brush against it. No, you're not going to want to hang onto the stove with both hands but that would be dumb to do in any case.
Ok, so there’s definitely something wrong with it. It had flames licking up the sides to the point I was concerned with my headliner- BEFORE the flames started coming out of the bottle connector. I’ll do some research and perhaps convert it or get a new (er) propane burner. It’s usefulness is apparent. It will “gimble” itself 360°.....so if I roll her somewhere in the southern ocean, lose my mast and hole the boat, at least my coffee will be intact 😎

SV Salinity

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in