Liveaboard Fees - again - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Liveaboard Fees - again

I don't really understand liveaboard fees making sense. I'm currently in a marina for a month. If I stay a second month there is a $150 "liveaboard fee". This is a 35% adder for what? Am I suddenly going to be using more resources etc. the second month over the first?

Now I used to kind of understand this as "liveaboards" use more electrical. But it costs less to power a 3 bedroom house than a $150 liveaboard fee. Plus I have noticed that boats just sitting in a slip with no one on them still have their air conditioners running. So it isn't like a liveaboard boat is really using any more power than an empty boat.

Guess that leaves water. I can come to the dock and fill my water tanks for free and that will last us 3 weeks on average. We probably use more water at a slip because it's "right there" and easy to refill. Near as I can tell this results in us using about 50 gal/month more water. Is the 50 gal of water that I can get free normally worth an extra $150? The "weekender" boats will use more than that when they come back in from their 3 hour boat ride to wash the boat off.

The only thing I can see my liveaboard fee covering is the extra wear and tear on the dock boards because they get walked on more.

Rant over, everyone go back to important "stuff"

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Are you not an official live aboard? I thought an extra fee was expected for liveaboards. As far as electricity, my marina has its slips charged/metered directly from the power company. Water seems to be included anyway while I've heard of some marinas charge separately for water usage

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #3 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago

Just their system, it sounds like.
<30 = guest
>30 = pest
eherlihy likes this.

post #4 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Are you not an official live aboard? I thought an extra fee was expected for liveaboards. As far as electricity, my marina has its slips charged/metered directly from the power company. Water seems to be included anyway while I've heard of some marinas charge separately for water usage
I'm not a liveaboard, I'm a cruiser.

But why should more fee be expected from one? Far as electric if the electric is involved in the slip price everyone is going to leave the AC on. If it's not involved everyone will pay for what they use. In either case why would there be an addition fee?

post #5 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am the past Commodore of. Yacht Club on the Chesapeake and as such was responsible for the upkeep and financial stability of its marina. While it wasn’t a for profit marina, many of the costs associated with it are similar.

We faced this issue many times as we charged live aboard more money than non ( most marinas on the Chesapeake don’t permit live aboard to begin with). A live aboard is someone who spends more than 30 days in a row at the marina.

The purpose of this is not to get in an argument over if liveaboards should be permitted, but merely to put forward the many comments made about the issues by non liveaboards.

Members or slip holders pay a fee based on expected usage . From that the supporting infrastructure can be figured out as to their costs. Water and electricity are minor and can be directly billed back as actual usage, however other utilities can not. Trash pickup. Over yearly maintainence fees. Life expectancy of docks, pumps, light fixtures, bathroom and showers etc. everything which is not on a yearly schedule but is on a number of uses schedule. Liveaboards increase the amount of usage. Our club was mainly a weekend club. 10 liveaboards exceeded in one month the totals in each category of 114 members. We had to maintain a full housekeeper with We had to have pump out available and man it more often as well as monitor the liveaboards compliance of using it.

Insurance costs was higher for the club if we allowed liveaboards

Pool usage went up. We were required to have a full time lifeguard with liveaboards or close the pool to them
Liveaboards did not pay any of the amortized or capital costs for the club, but used its facilities much more than the average member.

Like I said I don’t wish to get into an argument about philosophy but suffice it to say I strongly support boaters rights to anchor anywhere for reasonable periods of time. I strongly support user fees and usage fees. If you use more of the facilities of a club, or marina, I can’t understand how you could expect others to subside the increased usage costs.

It’s not a simple surface statement or glimpse at the issue. It’s not a philosophical discussion unless you wish to use emotional language to prove your point. It’s common sense and dollars and cents. Increased usage incurs increased costs.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 1 Week Ago at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago
Learning the HARD way...

I am not a liveaboard at my marina. I spend a couple of days per week on my boat. However, every time that I go to the marina, my wife gives me the trash from our house to toss in the dumpster. Last week she gave me a 4" queen mattress topper. There is always a lot of trash in the dumpster during spring commissioning. Frequently I see things like furniture (chest of drawers, console TV) various cushions, and building supplies (cabinets and sheetrock and tile from a house) chucked in the dumpster by other boat owners. The trash pickup, at my marina anyway, is more a function of the boat owner's projects than the live aboards.

I haven't used any pool at a marina since the only time (at my last marina) when I went to use it a sign was posted saying that the pool was closed because of fecal coliform.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #7 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

It’s quite simple. They are charging you what they think the market will bear. They may be wrong (as you suggest), so the BEST thing you can do is move out, and tell them why you are leaving. This will send the market signal that they’ve price the service wrong.

This has been said many times already, but in a market economy products and service aren’t priced based on some intrinsic value. They are priced based on what the market will bear. If this price doesn’t produce sufficient profit something will change.

BTW, I live aboard. When at the marina I usually live aboard for a month or so on either end of the season. I’ve never been charged an additional fee for this. So the answer for you is to go to places which don’t charge this fee. They are out there.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

I just don't care about the topic anymore

pretty much the answer is "because" and boaters are "ok" with that

post #9 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I haven't used any pool at a marina since the only time (at my last marina) when I went to use it a sign was posted saying that the pool was closed because of fecal coliform.
I was going to rationalize the increased costs with extra wear and tear on the restroom facilities, apparently, people are using the pool wrong.

I think you are fortunate to be able to pull up to a marina and even get a slip let alone a liveaboard. On the West Coast there is often years long waiting list for a slip, maybe worse for a liveaboard. I have been waiting 4 years for a buoy on my local lake. On another lake there is a $65/year fee to be on their multi-year long waiting list.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 62 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I just don't care about the topic anymore

pretty much the answer is "because" and boaters are "ok" with that
No one has said either of these things.
PhilCarlson likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in