Need experienced opinions - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 12-05-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Need experienced opinions

Thanks everybody.
MarkofSeaLife:
That's really useful information. I thought the cushions looked like the originals and were due replacing. And its good to hear that the cabin is well ventilated. I find the aft cabins to be stuffy particularly in hot humid Med summers.

A centerline queen bed certainly would be more comfortable at least in a marina or quiet anchorage, but I'm not so sure underway. I think I'd be rolling all over.

We've slept in small V berths for over 30 years now. It's not for everybody but we've managed. In the end there always will be compromises in buying a boat, I just wanted to hear some other's experiences.

Robyn
Minnesail likes this.

SV Yofy
Blog: Sailing in the winds of peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Underway sleep in the salon on the lee side... you're only getting a few hours of shut eye!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
A centerline queen bed certainly would be more comfortable at least in a marina or quiet anchorage, but I'm not so sure underway. I think I'd be rolling all over.
The forward berth is perfectly comfortable to sleep in at sea. Even in heavy weather. Without lee cloths... But you could install lee clothes in about 10 minutes if you wanted them.

People are bizzare in their BS about being at sea. Many on this forum refuse to cook at sea. Why? Many think boats are uncomfortable unless bigger than the Queen Mary. Why?

Ŕ center berth is more convenient so one doesn't have to climb over their partner... But its only difficult if one is a big fat unfit slob. They need a centre-line berth - and a full time cook. If it saves $20,000 to $30,000 to buy a 393 compared to a 423 that's a lot of money, well, to me anyway.

But for everyone else in the world who wants adventure, travel and a great retirement then I commend people to get used to gentle rock and roll that's been part of ship life for thousands of years

If the boat can't be slep in comfortably during a raging storm then, simply, sail only in the right season

Mark
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Dock

One other point about the 393 and I guess all boats...
The mattress in the forward cabin comes in 2 pieces. It's the line of the middle that seems to collapse first when the cushion inside gets too old. The obvious solution would be to buy a 1 piece mattress... However then it won't fit down the companionway or through the cabin door. So beware.

Replacing the foam cost me US$600 3 years ago and it can't have been good quality as it needs to be done again.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #15 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Could glue the foam when its in place then add topper
post #16 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Could glue the foam when its in place then add topper
The foam is in individual fabric envelopes. But if you didn't want to use those, then sure, gluing could be an interesting solution.

And might allow the use of cheap mon-marine foam.

Sea Life

post #17 of 21 Old 12-05-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
but I'm not so sure underway. I think I'd be rolling all over.Robyn
Didn't you say you were going to be sailing the Med on this boat? Honestly, how many overnight passages do you expect to be making in the Med a year? Most of my cruising in the Med was day sailing.
Also, I guess you missed the folks who said that even with a nice forward cabin berth, most slept in a quarter berth aft or on a salon berth when sailing at night, especially if not running.
As for a centerline berth, lee cloths work on one of those just as well as they do on any other berth aboard, not to mention the V-berth has a lot, a lot, more motion than a centerline queen berth farther aft. You can even sleep athwart-ship on one, as mentioned above.
But, bottom line, if you are anything like most other cruisers out there, you spend the vast majority of your nights in a marina or at anchor, so worrying about the viability of a centerline berth for those few nights you are actually sailing at night seems foolish compared to the pleasures of the bigger, more comfortable berth. And our stock, store bought mattress still is in fine shape after 10 years, unlike Mark's at 3.5.
I'm not trying to tell you what boat you should buy, but after nearly 50 years of living aboard boats, with a wife and family and alone, I am just trying to give you a head's up on what I've found makes a more comfortable liveaboard, especially if you have a wife. Ask anyone who has made a V-berth and a walk around centerline berth.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #18 of 21 Old 12-05-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The foam is in individual fabric envelopes. But if you didn't want to use those, then sure, gluing could be an interesting solution.

And might allow the use of cheap mon-marine foam.
I've read a few threads on this and other forums about good ways to ventilate the underside of foam cushions. We us DriDeck under our foam mattresses in the fore-peak and mid-cabin to allow the foam to breath on the bottom. I think gluing the foam down would allow it to retain moisture and rot much more quickly.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #19 of 21 Old 12-05-2019

Foam is glued together, not down to a surface
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-05-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Foam is glued together, not down to a surface
OK, got it now.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in